Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 03:31 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

It seems to me that much of the slow and poor focusing reputation of the K-1 is due to the Digital Photography Review report on the K-1 not long after it's introduction when they reported an 85% rejection rate on shots of a bicyclist. And there were harsh criticisms of other aspects of the camera in the review also. In my opinion the DPR reviewers never learned the camera will enough to accurately test it. I'm sure this review hurt K-1 sales for a time and I think reviewers have a responsibility to be well informed on the equipment they are reviewing, and accurate.

After that report was released there were photos posted on this forum of sharp K-1 shots of automobile, motorcycle, and horse racing, dogs running etc. I have never since visited the DPR website since that deeply flawed review and don't plan to in the future. Just a personal protest and boycott.

10-07-2019, 05:27 AM - 2 Likes   #17

Photos: Gallery
tbh, the AF of pentax isn't on par with the bigger brands, at all. This is not something we can discuss. It's pretty much proven. Speed usually depends on prefocus etc, but the camera's ability to understand subject and lock on, pentaxjust isn't there. Just like the AF grid is TINY and center weighted. Whereas pretty much everyone else has one that extends pretty much the entire frame. yes I shoot the k1II and have shot pentax for years now. I use it because I love the IQ and feel of the cameras.

But were I doing sports or anything like that. I wouldn't use pentax if I had the choice of other brands.

We use the brand because we feel it gives us something unique. However AF has never been that. We've learned to live with it, yes, and adapt.
10-12-2019, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I totally agree.
Thx everyone. Great discussion-will try BBF at my next sporting event.
10-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the KP I use mainly manual focus, unless doing street in Av I will spot focus. Never had any problems with it. What's the K1 like for street?

10-31-2019, 01:35 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What's your view on this compared your lenses/cameras.

Sigma Art 35mm f1.2 / 14-24mm f2.8 review: TRANSFORM Sony and Lumix S! - YouTube

It's the Lumix S and It looks very slow to me?
10-31-2019, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin KP Quote
On the KP I use mainly manual focus, unless doing street in Av I will spot focus. Never had any problems with it. What's the K1 like for street?
It is ok, but I would venture to say that because of its weight it may not be the best choice. I did use it for street photography in Tokyo with an old 35-80 and was pleased with the warmth of the shots. Manual focus works ok with the lens at 35mm
10-31-2019, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderer2 Quote
It seems to me that much of the slow and poor focusing reputation of the K-1 is due to the Digital Photography Review report on the K-1 not long after it's introduction when they reported an 85% rejection rate on shots of a bicyclist. And there were harsh criticisms of other aspects of the camera in the review also. In my opinion the DPR reviewers never learned the camera will enough to accurately test it. I'm sure this review hurt K-1 sales for a time and I think reviewers have a responsibility to be well informed on the equipment they are reviewing, and accurate.

After that report was released there were photos posted on this forum of sharp K-1 shots of automobile, motorcycle, and horse racing, dogs running etc. I have never since visited the DPR website since that deeply flawed review and don't plan to in the future. Just a personal protest and boycott.
Very true.

Every time someone posts how Pentax can't focus on fast moving objects, I point out that I don't seem to have any difficulty whether shooting fast moving cyclists, runners or kayakers. I've posted several examples over the years. The K-1II is a fair bit better than the K-5 but I got reasonable results from that camera too.

10-31-2019, 02:52 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
tbh, the AF of pentax isn't on par with the bigger brands, at all. This is not something we can discuss. It's pretty much proven.
I think it something that we can discuss.
Have you seen the report on AF testing carried out in a laboratory?
I'm sorry I can't find the thread where this report was posted, and did consider not posting this reply, but maybe someone else may be able to post the link.
Here's a reference to the tech. paper which might help you find the discussion here...

Auto Focus Performance –What can we expect from todays cameras?
Uwe Artmann, Image Engineering GmbH & Co KG; Frechen, Germany

Cheers,
Terry
10-31-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
tbh, the AF of pentax isn't on par with the bigger brands, at all. This is not something we can discuss. It's pretty much proven.
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Have you seen the report on AF testing carried out in a laboratory?I'm sorry I can't find the thread where this report was posted, and did consider not posting this reply, but maybe someone else may be able to post the link.

Yes, several recent threads have explored the subject of autofocus:

(Un)popular Opinion: Pentax AF Doesn't Suck - PentaxForums.com

How does Pentax AF-C compare to other brands? - PentaxForums.com

How good is Pentax AF tracking? - PentaxForums.com

Understanding how foolish it is to make sweeping claims about autofocus - PentaxForums.com

Peoples' impressions or assumptions of consistently weak Pentax AF do not seem to be backed up with proof.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 10-31-2019 at 03:06 PM.
11-01-2019, 03:56 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gonna say Big
11-01-2019, 04:05 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I think the k1 is very good for street photography. The screen is ideal for waist-level shooting, which I use a lot for that purpose.
11-03-2019, 06:21 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I think the k1 is very good for street photography. The screen is ideal for waist-level shooting, which I use a lot for that purpose.
Interesting. I tripod shoot out of alleyways so people do not see me on approach. I guess the K1 would be what Vivian Maier would use today if she still took photos.

Last edited by Martin KP; 11-03-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
11-09-2019, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Interesting. I tripod shoot out of alleyways so people do not see me on approach. I guess the K1 would be what Vivian Maier would use today if she still took photos.
I wanted to rewatch that documentary and noticed it was no longer on Netflix with film doing a bit of a come back, perhaps she would still be shooting 120 film
11-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The arguments against Pentax AF here on the site have been propagated by people who spent a lot more money on other systems.
I've never seen a post by a person shooting with the DA 55-300 PM or DFA* 70-200 complaining about AF.
I've never seen a person with more expensive gear from another brand who hadn't tried a K-3 or later and one of those lenses, who felt Pentax AF was adequate.

I may have missed some threads and posts, but that's my impression. People buy gear not suited to their work. They blame Pentax.
11-10-2019, 12:09 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I wanted to rewatch that documentary and noticed it was no longer on Netflix with film doing a bit of a come back, perhaps she would still be shooting 120 film
If you can't see it on your country's Netflix, it may be possible it still exists on another country's. Good time to learn about VPN?