Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaMiCL Quote
Using the "Average" mode of multiple exposure, you can get an 11-stop ND filter effect with 2000 shots. It's not exactly the same because there are gaps between exposures, but one advantage is that you can stop the multiple exposure if something in the scene changes, and you'll still have a properly exposed shot.

Ok thanks, probably not something I'd do but it always amazes me what can be done.

10-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes in burst mode, LV with ES enabled, the K1 does sound like "tack..tack.. tack...tack ...tack" , but the mirror stays up, noise is slightly less coz mechanical shutter only.
I love how you recreated the buffer filling up and the interval becoming longer after the third shot...lol

I wonder what the point of actuating the mechanical shutter in this scenario is... Perhaps this is because K-1 only added ES with a firmware update and the mechanical shutter actuation was one thing they couldn't change with just the firmware. I guess my only option is KP for now, or to wait for the new model.

Thank you for all the info!

---------- Post added 10-12-19 at 09:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Ok thanks, probably not something I'd do but it always amazes me what can be done.
I know... Pentax by far has the most number of useful features, and it's great that they don't really strip away too many of them even with the entry level models. Too bad the market was a lot more interested in LV/video autofocus and 4K -- the only two things Pentax is behind at.
10-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaMiCL Quote
I love how you recreated the buffer filling up and the interval becoming longer after the third shot...lol

I wonder what the point of actuating the mechanical shutter in this scenario is... Perhaps this is because K-1 only added ES with a firmware update and the mechanical shutter actuation was one thing they couldn't change with just the firmware. I guess my only option is KP for now, or to wait for the new model.

Thank you for all the info!

---------- Post added 10-12-19 at 09:02 PM ----------

I know... Pentax by far has the most number of useful features, and it's great that they don't really strip away too many of them even with the entry level models. Too bad the market was a lot more interested in LV/video autofocus and 4K -- the only two things Pentax is behind at.
We still need faster AF for pictures.
10-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #19
Veteran Member

2000x average in-camera will likely fail at 100% probability when used in normal daylight. 256x is usually the max limit without visible color artifacts.

10-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
2000x average in-camera will likely fail at 100% probability when used in normal daylight. 256x is usually the max limit without visible color artifacts.
Interesting observation. Any idea why that happens?
10-14-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

I do not know exactly why. Something goes wrong in the averaging process. Maybe some camera hardware limitation. I have very few in-camera averages which have succeeded with > 256 frames. In each case the averaged frames had massive underexposure. I have made a topic about this at least once on the feedback forum. Not going to do it again.

BTW, Sony had stacking app for their A7 (up to mk2) series. It capped out @ 256 frames if I remember correctly.
10-15-2019, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I did a simple, low-precision, studio (I mean my home) test and although far from any real world scenario (no water or cloud movements), I found the color casting not an issue in the specific test I conducted. I was cheap and so far never went over about 150 shots, but next time I'm in front of moving water, I will have to bite the bullet.

More on the test here: Pentax...fix the Magenta Bug...please? - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

10-16-2019, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
2000 multiple exposures?
I've enough problems getting one exposure correct let alone 2000 of them...
10-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never really go over five exposures with the KP. I find doing too many in camera doesn't produce enough of a IQ bonus. I have done more in post software using raw, focus stacking mainly.