Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 03:41 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 Video

I didn't buy the K-1 to shoot video, but, during a recent thunderstorm I thought I would give it a try. The video is short, only 2 minutes, 10 seconds, and there are (long) periods of darkness between the lightning flashes. Still I found it interesting, and the sound quality is quite good considering I only used the built in mic.

Has anyone else shot any video with the K-1 they would like to share?

10-12-2019, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks like the intro in a movie. I haven't used my K-1 for movies but I have seem some samples and I think it is very capable.
10-12-2019, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks OK and sounds good to me. I played it fullscreen and cranked up the volume on my PC speakers and the rain, thunder and other ambient sounds were clear. With the way some folks talk about Pentax video, you'd think it would be a flippin' disaster.
10-12-2019, 04:57 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It does sound really good. I use a cheapo external mic, but I always forget how to set it up right, or I leave a fan on next to me and forget about it until post, so my audio never sounds perfect anyway.

I shoot a lot of short family stuff on the K-1, nothing I have public, and it does a good job. With a good lens and manual focus it's just fine. Some of the videos on my channel are shot on it, just pointed at myself in the living room, and I personally can't tell it's not from a video centric camera in those settings. Looks good to me (unless I miss manual focus on myself, because I have no flippy-outty screen :P)

One example (shot with Rokinon 14mm). A perfect example of messing up my audio setup:

I always try to encourage people to use what they got for photo or video, and with the K-1 it's no different. Not amazing, but pretty good and in some settings about all you need.

10-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #5

K1 video would have been much better if mechanical shake reduction was enabled. But, the K1 is not a video camera.

10-12-2019, 08:37 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I shot video of a talent show at my church with the K1. About 15 x 5 minute segments. Put it on a tripod and manual focus. Worked great and everyone was super impressed with the videos, especially since everyone else there was shooting on a phone zoomed in. Really no comparison there, the K1 video looked pro quality! I have seen some decent quality video from the K1. The Astro Backyard guy even shoots some of his on the K1.
10-13-2019, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I have shot one video and learned that I am not a video producer and should stick with still photos.

The quality was not all that bad but if tried again will have to figure out how not to look like the camera is being held by a drunk.

10-13-2019, 02:06 AM - 2 Likes   #8

The quality of the video output is not exactly great by contemporary standards, but if you have a good lens, the lighting is good, you're accurately focused and the camera is stable, you should get usable footage.

The K1 is okay for tripod work only, but nothing handheld because of the jello effect, which is quite bad and that is a big limitation for most video production or everyday use (in my experience).
10-13-2019, 05:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I shot video with my K1 for the first time yesterday...but then, I've only had it for less than a week. Just looking at it on the back LCD , it seems okay. I'll know more when I can import it into my editing system back at the office on Monday.
10-13-2019, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave_roe Quote
I have shot one video and learned that I am not a video producer and should stick with still photos.

The quality was not all that bad but if tried again will have to figure out how not to look like the camera is being held by a drunk.
Tripod Dave.

Or one of those snazzy gimbal rigs for hand held shooting.

10-13-2019, 09:08 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Damn I gotta get me one of those........ and a sherpa
10-13-2019, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I shot my K1 side by side with a 5DmkIV

I didn't see a heck of a lot of difference between the 2 in terms of output. That said, I didn't scrutinize it intensely as the UI with the Canon's touch screen was far superior, so that's the camera I used (it was a work project).

I'm not a zealot/nut about touch screens, but there are times when I do wish both of my Pentax cameras had them. And I do wish Pentax would improve the codec.