Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K1 sleep mode battery life

I'm thinking of getting a K1 again for a project that will require me to have the camera setup as a remote. So basically, I'll set it up and leave it on, but let it go to sleep, and then use a sound trigger to wake the camera up and start taking images. Anyone know what the battery life would be like? I'd probably have to leave it upwards of 8 hours in this way.

10-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sleep mode and Standby mode are two different mode. In Sleep mode, the camera consumes virtually nothing, not much different of Power-Off mode. Standby mode is when the camera is still Switched On but most peripherals of the mother board are in low power mode or disabled. In Standby mode of the Pentax K-1, a fully charged D-LI90 lasts approximately 3 hours if LV is used, 6 hours LV not used, and 12 hours with a battery grip fully charged. When the Pentax K-1 is in Sleep mode (On position of the shutter button, but camera is Off), a fully charged battery can last weeks.
10-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

My understanding of sleep mode is it uses the same amount of battery power as having the camera switched off. The only power drain during sleep mode is to keep track of the date and time. It should last for weeks in sleep mode.

It's easy to test for your need. Turn on the camera, wait 8 hours, press the shutter button to check the battery level.
10-23-2019, 12:27 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My understanding of sleep mode is it uses the same amount of battery power as having the camera switched off. The only power drain during sleep mode is to keep track of the date and time. It should last for weeks in sleep mode.

It's easy to test for your need. Turn on the camera, wait 8 hours, press the shutter button to check the battery level.

Thanks...I should clarify that I'm asking because I don't actually own a K1 at the moment. I used to, which is why I meant "another". I probably should have been clearer on that. I would have tested it myself if I still had it.

10-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you do the project, please let us know how it goes.
10-23-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've used my K1 switched on with gps tracking every 5 Seconds for 10 Hours (9 hours with tracking, the buffer was full after 9 hours as shown in the menu). I took only roundabout 50 photos. I've seen no drain on the batteries.
10-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
Thanks...I should clarify that I'm asking because I don't actually own a K1 at the moment. I used to, which is why I meant "another". I probably should have been clearer on that. I would have tested it myself if I still had it.
I ran a test. My K-1 menu is set to auto power off in 1 minute. I turned the camera on, let it go to sleep, and 24 hours later the battery has not drained much. I woke the camera only 5 times (shutter button) during the test.

10-25-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe I am too casual about it but I have never worried too much about the K-1 battery. It lasts a long time. I keep a fresh one handy for when that happens.