Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sharpest non-distortive lens for K1

A slightly academic question, but which lens do you think would be the sharpest possible with least distortion for architecture external shots for the K1? Not wide angle shots, but shooting a building exterior, potentially from far away, to create a non-distorted and sharp photo. (Imagine shooting a cube that will take up around 50% of the frame) Will be shooting at around f8, ISO 200 and bracketing.

I tried using the DFA* 70-200mm, but when bracketing on the tripod it moves quite a lot on the tripod because of the severe shutter flap and the fact that this is not deadened but rather accentuated by having the lens shoe mounted on the tripod rather than the camera. Changing shooting mode to electronic shutter and not having the three bracket photos actuate in one burst removes this problem somewhat, but slows the process down.

I’m thinking that either the DFA* 50mm f1.4 or the DFA 50mm Macro might be a good solution.

10-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dofmaster Quote
A slightly academic question, but which lens do you think would be the sharpest possible with least distortion for architecture external shots for the K1? Not wide angle shots, but shooting a building exterior, potentially from far away, to create a non-distorted and sharp photo. (Imagine shooting a cube that will take up around 50% of the frame) Will be shooting at around f8, ISO 200 and bracketing.

I tried using the DFA* 70-200mm, but when bracketing on the tripod it moves quite a lot on the tripod because of the severe shutter flap and the fact that this is not deadened but rather accentuated by having the lens shoe mounted on the tripod rather than the camera. Changing shooting mode to electronic shutter and not having the three bracket photos actuate in one burst removes this problem somewhat, but slows the process down.

I’m thinking that either the DFA* 50mm f1.4 or the DFA 50mm Macro might be a good solution.
Shutter shock is still possible with those lenses (DFA* 50/DFA 50 Macro). If you can avoid 1/30 - 1/200 shutter range you won't see shutter shock.

Why is LV/ES so troublesome ? Your subject is not going to move ?

Why do you need to bracket ?
10-28-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

...I’m thinking that either the DFA* 50mm f1.4 or the DFA 50mm Macro might be a good solution.
Those are both good choices. I couldn't find a direct comparison between those 2 lenses, but comparisons against different lenses showed insignificant distortion.

The D FA* offers the best results with an almost-absent 0.15% of distortion, which is probably the lowest value we've ever measured. Pentax 50mm F1.4 comparison: M, FA and DFA Review - Distortions | PentaxForums.com Reviews

We are happy to report that none of the Pentax 50mm lenses had any measurable distortion. [this is an old review of the 50 macro and doesn't contain a numeric measurement] Pentax 50mm Prime Lens Shootout Review - Distortion | PentaxForums.com Reviews
10-28-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

I’m thinking that either the DFA* 50mm f1.4
For sure, the DFA*50 is a good lens for this, but at f8 almost every 50mm made by Pentax should be good enought.

Olaf

10-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Shutter shock is still possible with those lenses (DFA* 50/DFA 50 Macro). If you can avoid 1/30 - 1/200 shutter range you won't see shutter shock.

Why is LV/ES so troublesome ? Your subject is not going to move ?

Why do you need to bracket ?
It's troublesome because it slows down the process. Press a button 3 times instead of once.

Need to bracket because it's architecture photography so typically want to produce HDR imagery.

Given all that, and that I've got fixed ISO and f-stop. I can't really control what shutter speed I'm shooting at
10-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 28mm Shift lens is the only in- camera way to correct for fall away
10-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

...severe shutter flap and the fact that this is not deadened but rather accentuated by having the lens shoe mounted on the tripod rather than the camera...
My K-1 also gets shutter shock. It's more pronounced with some lenses than others. I don't have the 70-200, but with other lenses I find that shifting the tripod foot forward or backward can reduce the amount of shutter shock.

10-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My K-1 also gets shutter shock. It's more pronounced with some lenses than others. I don't have the 70-200, but with other lenses I find that shifting the tripod foot forward or backward can reduce the amount of shutter shock.
With the 70-200 the lens is mounted on the tripod, not the camera, so it exaggerates the shutter shock impact quite significantly, especially when burst bracketing.
10-28-2019, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See this related thread...

Comparing DFA* 50mm with 50mm f2.8 MACRO - PentaxForums.com

Either of those plus a better tripod might help your situation.

Steve
10-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

For zero distorsion at moderately wide or wide angle, using a zoom is a good solution. Usually optical distorsion on zooms evolves from barrel on the wide angle side to picursion distorsion at the long end, so there is a particular focal length at which there is zero distorsion, even better than primes lenses at the same focal length. I use those zero distorsion focal length on zooms as preferred FL for stitching panoramas, because projections and stitching work perfectly in absence of distorsion (and absence of parallax error).
10-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that I cannot see the reasoning behind looking for a change in lens because of shutter shock with an existing lens, when such change may not eliminate the problem at all.
10-28-2019, 11:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

With the 70-200 the lens is mounted on the tripod, not the camera, so it exaggerates the shutter shock impact quite significantly, especially when burst bracketing.
I've never noticed any shutter shock with the DFA* 70-200 on the K1, though I don't normally use it on a tripod.

By the way, the tripod foot on that lens has two mounting points; are you using the front or back point?
10-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What sort of tripod and tripod head are you using? A good quality setup should hold your gear steady enough, but beware of extending a centre column more than a couple of inches at most.
10-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you considered correcting distortion in post?
There are many software packages that do that very well, for example hugin, which could combine your bracketed shots at the same time.

Cheers,
Terry
10-29-2019, 03:01 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
See this related thread...

Comparing DFA* 50mm with 50mm f2.8 MACRO - PentaxForums.com

Either of those plus a better tripod might help your situation.

Steve
I was the OP there

---------- Post added 10-29-19 at 03:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I've never noticed any shutter shock with the DFA* 70-200 on the K1, though I don't normally use it on a tripod.

By the way, the tripod foot on that lens has two mounting points; are you using the front or back point?
I don't remember. But the shutter shock was extreme, the whole camera moved

---------- Post added 10-29-19 at 03:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Have you considered correcting distortion in post?
There are many software packages that do that very well, for example hugin, which could combine your bracketed shots at the same time.

Cheers,
Terry
It's an option but I'd rather just do it in camera