Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In my experience just now, camera in hand, there is no internal clunking sound or feel of an internal loose part in OVF Mode, with a lens mounted and the camera powered on. In LV Mode I can hear and feel the SR system. With power on the magnets are working.
Thank you monochrome, i think i am better either to contact the vendor or anyone from Pentax.

11-02-2019, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Many new buyers of Olympus and Sony cameras with in-body SR have the same experience.

I suspect many camera stores have lots of new and perfectly functional cameras returned due to disconcerting sounds within the body of the SR mechanism.
11-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #33

Original Poster
Well, turns out i am considering now not to return my K1, after all. For a couple of reasons: 1) So far, all photos seems quite Ok, including the ones with SR turned on (well focused images with a M 50mm, @ f2.8 and 1/8, handheld - ins't this ok?). 2) Then, reading a lot on the internet, i now understand this is a well known issue for over 10 years now and not only among Pentax cameras but also, as @rawr points out, among Olympus, Sony etc. and one can conclude that there are a lot of photographers that did note the issue but also ones that did not (this may be due to manufacture variances, or that the cameras somehow change over time or even just that there are persons that may feel this kind of things but others do not). Hope i am doing the right thing...

Now, having started this thread, as a little effort for others that, as myself, may now be entering the Pentax system or IBIS / SR systems and know nothing about this issue, here it is what i think i have learned: The SR system does mean that there is a loose part inside the camera (the sensor and whatever it is fixed to) and while it is not activated it then moves freely as we tilt the camera (i would guess about 2 mm or so). The thing is it moves regardless the camera is turned off or turned on and actually regardless the SR is also on or off, because, and this is the the thing i just have learned, the SR is ONLY ACTIVATED AFTER THE SHUTTER BUTTON HAS BEEN HALF PRESSED (i just tested this and it is a fact), which also explains why in Live View mode, there is not any moving part: So, as a conclusion, it seems that the SR is only activated (the magnets, or whatever technology, are energised) thus holding the sensor, at the moment of taking a picture (or at LV mode, in which case the mirror is up, as if in the process of also taking a picture).

Hope this makes sense, it makes to me.

Now, it's time to learn the K1 manual and go through little (but important) decisions, such as: Which file format to choose (i think i will stay with PEF), which software to use (i think i will be using digiKam and darktable - so, open source route) and also which computer system (possibly a new Mac Mini paired with a monitor, like an entry leve Benq or such). And, above all, it's time to keep learning photography (i am an amateur on the matter).

Last edited by Fernando Sousa; 11-03-2019 at 07:08 PM.
11-03-2019, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
Well, turns out i am considering now not to return my K1, after all. For a couple of reasons: 1) So far, all photos seams quite Ok, including the ones with SR turned on (well focused images with a M 50mm, @ f2.8 and 1/8, handheld - ins't this ok?). 2) Then, reading a lot on the internet, i now understand this is a well known issue for over 10 years now and not only among Pentax cameras but also, as @rawr points out, among Olympus, Sony etc. and one can conclude that there are a lot of photographers that did note the issue but also ones that did not (this may be due to manufacture variances, or that the cameras somehow change over time or even just that there are persons that may feel this kind of things but others do not). Hope i am doing the right thing...

Now, having started this thread, as a little effort for others that, as myself, may now be entering the Pentax system or IBIS / SR systems and know nothing about this issue, here it is what i think i have learned: The SR system does mean that there is a loose part inside the camera (the sensor and whatever it is fixed to) and while it is not activated it then moves freely as we tilt the camera (i would guess about 2 mm or so). The thing is it moves regardless the camera is turned off or turned on and actually regardless the SR is also on or off, because, and this is the the thing i just have learned, the SR is ONLY ACTIVATED AFTER THE SHUTTER BUTTON HAS BEEN HALF PRESSED (i just tested this and it is a fact), which also explains why in Live View mode, there is not any moving part: So, as a conclusion, it seems that the SR is only activated (the magnets, or whatever technology, are energised) thus holding the sensor, at the moment of taking a picture (or at LV mode, in which case the mirror is up, as if in the process of also taking a picture).

Now, it's time to learn the K1 manual and go through little (but important) decisions, such as: Which file format to choose (i think i will stay with PEF), which software to use (i think i will be using digiKam and darktable - so, open source route) and also which computer system (possibly a new Mac Mini paired with a monitor, like an entry leve Benq or such). And, above all, it's time to keep learning photography (i am an amateur on the matter).
Enjoy your new camera. Mine does the same and works perfectly.

11-03-2019, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now, having started this thread, as a little effort for others that, as myself, may now be entering the Pentax system or IBIS / SR systems and know nothing about this issue, here it is what i think i have learned: The SR system does mean that there is a loose part inside the camera (the sensor and whatever it is fixed to) and while it is not activated it then moves freely as we tilt the camera (i would guess about 2 mm or so).
I am late to this thread, but thought I would add some 'official' information.

It appears that Ricoh introduced a notice concerning this issue in the K-1 Mk II and KP Operating Manuals (I could not find such a notice in the older K-1 or K-70 manuals):

K-1 Mk II manual, page 8 (my emphasis):

To Users of this Camera
- The Shake Reduction (SR) mechanism of this camera uses the PENTAX original technology and moves the image sensor to an appropriate position at high speed with a magnetic force, which reduces image blurring caused by camera motion. A rattling sound is made when the camera is shaken, for example, by changing its orientation, but this is not a malfunction.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-03-2019 at 05:41 PM.
11-04-2019, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Yes, that is how it works. The earlier models K10d to K5 did not activate the SR mechanism until you fully pressed the shutter button so the sensor was free to rattle around until only a few milliseconds before the shutter opened, and as soon as the shutter closed the SR system was deactivated and the sensor dropped down again. The K1 as you have noticed picks up the sensor already at half press, (a faint electronic humming can be heard.) and drops it like an anchor after timeout.
11-09-2019, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I am late to this thread, but thought I would add some 'official' information.

It appears that Ricoh introduced a notice concerning this issue in the K-1 Mk II and KP Operating Manuals (I could not find such a notice in the older K-1 or K-70 manuals):

K-1 Mk II manual, page 8 (my emphasis):

To Users of this Camera
- The Shake Reduction (SR) mechanism of this camera uses the PENTAX original technology and moves the image sensor to an appropriate position at high speed with a magnetic force, which reduces image blurring caused by camera motion. A rattling sound is made when the camera is shaken, for example, by changing its orientation, but this is not a malfunction.

- Craig
Ahh, that's it, the camera i bought was a K1 (maybe one of the last ones on the market), so I was not aware of that by reading the manual. Thanks for that note.

---------- Post added 11-09-19 at 07:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Enjoy your new camera. Mine does the same and works perfectly.
That i will (y)

11-09-2019, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Every camera with IBIS is a potential shaker style instrument. Just swing them with your favorite soundtrack and it produces good jamming session. My favorite is Drum&Bass 160bpm style.

Pentax IBIS is more dampened while Sony produces loud clang when powered off.
11-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Every camera with IBIS is a potential shaker style instrument. Just swing them with your favorite soundtrack and it produces good jamming session. My favorite is Drum&Bass 160bpm style.

Pentax IBIS is more dampened while Sony produces loud clang when powered off.
Hey MJKoski, good to know that the Pentax IBIS is more dampened than others. For me it is just a new thing i was not used to. Now I am
11-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey MJKoski, good to know that the Pentax IBIS is more dampened than others. For me it is just a new thing i was not used to. Now I am
Retrospectively, I feel like I never hear it, but today I picked up my K-1 II, and it clunked enough to make me notice. Thinking now I'm listening for it.
12-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #41

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Retrospectively, I feel like I never hear it, but today I picked up my K-1 II, and it clunked enough to make me notice. Thinking now I'm listening for it.
Me, I keep now, curious as I am, wondering how would it be like do opening and disassemble the camera just to see how that thing works, how much it slides, in how many axis, etc... I know that there are videos out there, but it's not the same. But just kidding, I am loving to much the K1 to do it anything at all, but taking photos
12-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

disassemble the camera just to see how that thing works,
ROFLMAO!!! I have a reputation for taking things apart - used to drive my mother nuts. She'd come into the den, and I'd have whatever all over the place in pieces (always put them back together, and they still worked), and she'd just shake her head, not look to close, and keep going.

12-13-2019, 05:38 AM   #43

I've never eard this noise... but if it's normal : no problem... I'm maybe to old
12-16-2019, 05:24 AM   #44
Veteran Member

KolariVision calls IBIS "shaker" these days. It is mentioned in their Panasonic S1R report.
12-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I'd like to add that some Pentax DSLR's I've owned have had more movement than others with the shake reduction system inside when off. Can't remember specific models but I think a K-30 I had was very noticeable and a K-200 perhaps was not, so I'd chalk it up to variance in manufacturing.
Same for me k-x, K5 ii or even KP now