Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 22
Brand new K1 with a moving part inside it

Hi all, new here, my first post ever was yesterday (though i am member since a few months ago). What had changed is that I finally ordered a K1. And it arrived today. So i entered the digital Pentax world.

I cannot yet try the camera (no cards and no lens with me), but as soon as i opened the box (which, by the way, was not sealed - is this common?) and picked the camera up, i felt an odd thing: As i tilted it sideways, i felt something moving inside (sideways as well), like something substancial, substancial enough for one to feel it (not only ear it). My other dslr is a Canon and it has no moving parts inside it. So, at first, i started thinking I got a faulty camera. Then I started googling and came upon the possibility that it is normal for dslr Pentax cameras to have moving parts, due to the shake reduction system inside them, which can be felt when the camera is turned off. Is it so? For you owners of a K1, is all this normal and there is actually a free moving part inside the K1 that moves to either side, as we tilt the camera one side or the other?

10-31-2019, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,983
Yup, this is perfectly normal

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-31-2019, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,563
QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
Hi all, new here, my first post ever was yesterday (though i am member since a few months ago). What had changed is that I finally ordered a K1. And it arrived today. So i entered the digital Pentax world.

I cannot yet try the camera (no cards and no lens with me), but as soon as i opened the box (which, by the way, was not sealed - is this common?) and picked the camera up, i felt an odd thing: As i tilted it sideways, i felt something moving inside (sideways as well), like something substancial, substancial enough for one to feel it (not only ear it). My other dslr is a Canon and it has no moving parts inside it. So, at first, i started thinking I got a faulty camera. Then I started googling and came upon the possibility that it is normal for dslr Pentax cameras to have moving parts, due to the shake reduction system inside them, which can be felt when the camera is turned off. Is it so? For you owners of a K1, is all this normal and there is actually a free moving part inside the K1 that moves to either side, as we tilt the camera one side or the other?
I once received an open box "new camera" that didn't work correctly, and it turned out that it had been mixed up with a camera that had been returned and was supposed to be shipped back to Pentax. The store in question sent me a new camera and a $100 gift certificate.

And no. my K-1 is almost 3 years old, and there are no moving parts shaking around in side it. If I shake it, I hear a faint click, but I can't feel it. When you turn it on, you'll hear the dust reduction sequence, but it doesn't continue past the power up sequence.

Contact the vendor.
10-31-2019, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Linz
Photos: Albums
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
As i tilted it sideways, i felt something moving inside (sideways as well), like something substancial, substancial enough for one to feel it (not only ear it)
This is probably the sensor. It is moveable to allow SR (shake reduction) which is done by moving the sensor around.

10-31-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,512
Given that only you can hear the noise, so we can’t specifically say anything about your camera, those sorts of noises are reported frequently by people who are new to the Pentax shake-reduction system. The frame on which the sensor is mounted has to be free to move, for the shake reduction to work. If you try taking some photos, and they turn out well, the chances are that there’s nothing wrong with your camera.
10-31-2019, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,590
QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
and picked the camera up, i felt an odd thing: As i tilted it sideways, i felt something moving inside (sideways as well), like something substancial, substancial enough for one to feel it (not only ear it).
You should be worried if you cannot hear it.
10-31-2019, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,744
If you note the below shortcut to a video about the K-1 SR, it will show you examples/explanations of movements that occur.

10-31-2019, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 7
Brand new K1 with a moving part inside it

I recognize this: I have a few Pentax DSLR's and I felt the same thing you describe. But I do not know if the battery was inside the camera when you unpacked it. In my case it is the battery that moves when you tilt the camera sideways. After I removed the battery I could not feel the movement. And you just feel it,you do not hear it. And the battery is a substantial part.

10-31-2019, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,759
While the camera is powered off, it is normal to hear and/or feel the SR unit moving around when you tilt the camera.
10-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
I recognize this: I have a few Pentax DSLR's and I felt the same thing you describe. But I do not know if the battery was inside the camera when you unpacked it. In my case it is the battery that moves when you tilt the camera sideways. After I removed the battery I could not feel the movement. And you just feel it,you do not hear it. And the battery is a substantial part.
Thanks, AfterPentax, in my case, the battery was not inside the camera. So, i cannot imagine anything else that could cause that impression to me. I will need to take a few photos, to check further on this issue.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 04:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I once received an open box "new camera" that didn't work correctly, and it turned out that it had been mixed up with a camera that had been returned and was supposed to be shipped back to Pentax. The store in question sent me a new camera and a $100 gift certificate.

And no. my K-1 is almost 3 years old, and there are no moving parts shaking around in side it. If I shake it, I hear a faint click, but I can't feel it. When you turn it on, you'll hear the dust reduction sequence, but it doesn't continue past the power up sequence.

Contact the vendor.
Yes, i guess i will need to do that, let's see however if i can take photos and how they come out. Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 04:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Given that only you can hear the noise, so we can’t specifically say anything about your camera, those sorts of noises are reported frequently by people who are new to the Pentax shake-reduction system. The frame on which the sensor is mounted has to be free to move, for the shake reduction to work. If you try taking some photos, and they turn out well, the chances are that there’s nothing wrong with your camera.
Indeed, that's what i need to do next as soon as possible: Taking some photos!!!
10-31-2019, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,563
QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
Thanks, AfterPentax, in my case, the battery was not inside the camera. So, i cannot imagine anything else that could cause that impression to me. I will need to take a few photos, to check further on this issue.

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 04:20 PM ----------


Yes, i guess i will need to do that, let's see however if i can take photos and how they come out. Thanks.
So much information, if the camera works when powered on and a battery in place and it still has something moving when you tilt it. Sending it back might be the thing to do. There's lots things being said here that i can't replicate, but, I have one camera. There is a little clunk when I turn my camera sideways, but it's quite faint, and honestly, I have to make it happen, it's not something I've noticed in actually use.

Last edited by normhead; 10-31-2019 at 07:20 PM.
10-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 22
Original Poster
Thanks to you all, i will need to take some photos and then i will comeback with some news, hopefully good ones. The only thing is that i will only be able to do so by Saturday. A long Friday it will be...

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 04:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So much information, if the camera works when powered on and a battery inlace and it still has something moving when you til it. Sending it back might be the thing to do. There's lots things being said her that i can't replicate, but, I have one camera. There is a little clunk when I turn my camera sideways, but it's quite faint, and honestly, I have to make it happen, it's not something I've noticed in actually use.
I have noticed that moving thing as soon as i opened the box, so the camera had no power at all. The battery was left charging at my office, which is not where i am now, so only tomorrow i will turn it on and see if that moving part still happens. Fingers crossed...

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 04:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
While the camera is powered off, it is normal to hear and/or feel the SR unit moving around when you tilt the camera.
You give me some hope (as well as Adam Othar, RobA_Oz, aaacb etc.) . Thanks

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 04:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If you note the below shortcut to a video about the K-1 SR, it will show you examples/explanations of movements that occur.

PENTAX K-1 SRII in-body shake reduction mechanism - YouTube
Great, thanks (y)
10-31-2019, 05:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,110
QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
Brand new K1 with a moving part inside it
Those are the firmware bugs that got fried inside the camera after the last firmware updade
10-31-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
stillshot2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 960
I'd like to add that some Pentax DSLR's I've owned have had more movement than others with the shake reduction system inside when off. Can't remember specific models but I think a K-30 I had was very noticeable and a K-200 perhaps was not, so I'd chalk it up to variance in manufacturing.
10-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I'd like to add that some Pentax DSLR's I've owned have had more movement than others with the shake reduction system inside when off. Can't remember specific models but I think a K-30 I had was very noticeable and a K-200 perhaps was not, so I'd chalk it up to variance in manufacturing.
According to what others have being said so far, it looks like there are different experiences about this moving thing subject, which may suggest that there may be variances in manufacturing the cameras, indeed. I just do not know if that is a good thing or not. I mean, it may be a justification for those of us that feel this movement thing, but OTOH, one may wonder how come that there may be such variances in the production of such high tech products...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, brand new k1, camera, clunk, dslr, full frame, full-frame, ibis, k-1, k1, lens, moving, noise, parts, pentax, pentax k-1, photos, pm, post, reduction, sequence, shake, sr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is K1ii better than K1 for capturing moving subjects? Billk Pentax K-1 12 06-01-2018 11:34 AM
Inside Of The Inside tgchan Monthly Photo Contests 5 02-08-2018 09:03 AM
k-x, something heavy moving inside, not shake reduction? murray2552 Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 11-19-2014 09:33 PM
For Sale - Sold: For collectors--Brand New K1000 and Brand New M 50mm f1.7 artistcjconrad Sold Items 12 08-28-2009 10:28 AM
K100 D - Something is moving inside the body bazin Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 12-25-2006 05:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top