Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2019, 06:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tethering with Lightroom

The tethering support works well enough for Pentax, but I would like to get round this problem. Please note I only use LR for tethering so I've little experience using/configuring it - I'm an old school ACR to Photoshop sort of photographer.

I would like to have two SDs cards installed on a K-1, but for LR to transfer from only one slot. (My default set-up is to write to both cards (ie duplicate) in the camera)

I can take one card out of the camera and set it to use just one slot and LR uploads just from this slot which is fine. But, I have a dodgy slot one spring, so I tend to use only slot 2 for uploading photos, leaving slot one card in place all the time.

The problem with LR transferring from both slots is time. If I'm shooting a subject we can view the images as they come across. The transfer is slow, but OK, for one card's worth of data. With two card's data, this takes up too long - OK if I'm on my own, but not when I'm working with someone else. So I'm a bit stuck.

Any ideas, please.

Thanks

11-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting - I'm tuning in to see the answers as I'm a LR noob as well, but the idea of tethering intrigues me. I'd love to be able to tether as well. From what I've read, the slowness is largely due to the limiting speed of USB-2 which is on the K-1. I'd love to see what other folks have to say on this topic. Best of luck!
11-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reality_Check Quote
Interesting - I'm tuning in to see the answers as I'm a LR noob as well, but the idea of tethering intrigues me. I'd love to be able to tether as well. From what I've read, the slowness is largely due to the limiting speed of USB-2 which is on the K-1. I'd love to see what other folks have to say on this topic. Best of luck!
Indeed it is a little slow, but quite workable for a few shots at a time with the slow USB 2 connection. The whole process is smooth enough. I've found that the slower time to transfer can be made to work OK, eg take a few shots, get model/client etc to shuffle over and then we can discuss the shots as they appear. Doubling the time for both cards to transfer is too long. Yes, if they snapped across much quicker I'd be able to quickly select the ones I want to show, but being honest about the process when I've screwed up and the model is gurning (=British for pulling a grotesque face) is, I'm finding, helpful as I explore the process of dealing in real time with clients - as long I remember any bad shot is never, ever the model's error, it is always mine.

It is certainly too slow when I'm taking property/real estate shots as this is more of a capture as much as possible as quickly as possible and finish the process in post. I would be nice to have the confidence of tethering to check the images, but speed is of the essence. Maybe a wifi/mobile method in the future may be an option. Maybe, but not with LR and laptop as it currently is ...
09-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Maybe a wifi/mobile method in the future may be an option. Maybe, but not with LR and laptop as it currently is ...
A german Pentaxian also uses the CamFi Pro Plus successful with his 645Z and Image Transmitter 2 (IT2):
Wireless Tethering mit "Shot & View" (im Shooting-Betrieb) - Pentaxians

Last edited by angerdan; 09-29-2021 at 01:51 PM.
09-30-2021, 01:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
A german Pentaxian also uses the CamFi Pro Plus successful with his 645Z and Image Transmitter 2 (IT2):
Wireless Tethering mit "Shot & View" (im Shooting-Betrieb) - Pentaxians
Interesting. I'll take a closer look. Many thanks ...