Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm really pleasantly surprised by the actual love for the K-1 screen - I share it, of course, but I sometimes suspect myself of being a little irrational in the extent of my appreciation of such things - at the very least, I know I'm in good company

11-25-2019, 02:05 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I like the K-1's tilty-stilty system a lot because it tilts in any direction and in any camera orientation with equal ease. It's easy to use whether the camera is being held up high, down low, to the left, or to the right. And no matter where the camera is being held, it's easy to retilt the screen when switching between landscape and portrait orientation. Plus, the stilts seem quite robust and open and close with a satisfying click.

In contrast, most hinge and swivel mechanisms seem built for a videographers, not photographers! They operate in a more limited set of camera positions and orientations or are not easy to adjust when rotating the camera between landscape and portrait orientation.

I hope Pentax does keep using the design. I'd even like to see them even enhance the geometry a bit (a longer trackway and longer stilts) for greater tilt in all directions.
Another big advantage over a flip-out-and-twist screen is the speed. Just pull and tilt. It's quick and easy to use. If I couldn't have the stilt screen I'd rather have the flip-up screen of the KP than one you have to flip out then twist.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I use it mostly for waist-level shooting, but also sometimes for very low or overhead shots. Nicely engineered.
Another great thing is that you can pull the screen out when using it as a waist-level finder so that it clears the rubber eye-cup.

Yep, I like it.
11-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'm really pleasantly surprised by the actual love for the K-1 screen - I share it, of course, but I sometimes suspect myself of being a little irrational in the extent of my appreciation of such things - at the very least, I know I'm in good company
I have to agree. I forget it's there, and when I use it, think I should do this more often.
12-02-2019, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #79
Forum Member

Yes I like the design of the LCD screen and the design of the entire camera. I went to a camera store , where the owner of the store was not interested in selling me (at the time a Fuji Xpro 2) stating it was a “pro body” and something I would not need. The K1 is a pro body and having all of the External controls is a god send , instead of diving through menus . Amateur photographers hate menu diving as well.

Mike

12-02-2019, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I love the screen design, and I think as good as it can get for a screen that's still attached to the camera. Not that I would want a detachable screen...
Sony tried that. Lenses with a sensor built-in, connected to a smartphone (some even came with a clamp on the lens/sensor apparatus).

Didn't take off.
12-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #81
Pentaxian

I use it a lot for my shots.

I do wish when I have the camera rotated to be in Portrait that the screen tilted better. When in Landscape the tilt up and down is good but left or right is not quite as good. So when I rotate the camera to be in portrait orientation, I do not have the complete range of up and down tilting.
12-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #82
Pentaxian

In portraits I rarely use it, unless I am trying for a crazy intentional angle. In landscape shooting, I use it ALL the time. In fact I so used to it, I miss it on the K-3. Its supremely useful if you shoot live view which I like to slow down my compositions.
12-04-2019, 05:57 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
In landscape shooting, I use it ALL the time. In fact I so used to it, I miss it on the K-3. Its supremely useful if you shoot live view which I like to slow down my compositions.
Right. Especially on a tripod, when by chance I use the K-3 instead of the K-1, I find myself reaching for the LCD naturally, and it takes a second to realize it's not there.