Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you like the unique design of the K-1 lcd?

Always wanted a tilt screen for macro and other uses. Years ago Pentax wasn't interested so I bought an Olympus with the feature. Didn't use the screen as much as anticipated.

Using the Pentax K-1 flip screen much more and I'm not sure why. It seems to be a stranger implementation than the multi directional Olympus. But I use it more. Anyone else run into this?

Do you think Pentax will stick with this flippy screen design or drop it on future K-1 versions? It looks expensive to manufacture.
Thanks,
barondla

11-04-2019, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At first I thought it looked flimsy, but I haven't read about having problems with it. I am so used to the lack of flip screens that sometimes I forget I have it in the K-1 and end up crouching for no reason
11-04-2019, 11:00 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like the K-1's tilty-stilty system a lot because it tilts in any direction and in any camera orientation with equal ease. It's easy to use whether the camera is being held up high, down low, to the left, or to the right. And no matter where the camera is being held, it's easy to retilt the screen when switching between landscape and portrait orientation. Plus, the stilts seem quite robust and open and close with a satisfying click.

In contrast, most hinge and swivel mechanisms seem built for a videographers, not photographers! They operate in a more limited set of camera positions and orientations or are not easy to adjust when rotating the camera between landscape and portrait orientation.

I hope Pentax does keep using the design. I'd even like to see them even enhance the geometry a bit (a longer trackway and longer stilts) for greater tilt in all directions.
11-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
At first I thought it looked flimsy, but I haven't read about having problems with it. I am so used to the lack of flip screens that sometimes I forget I have it in the K-1 and end up crouching for no reason
Aren't the 4 rods made of titanium? That's strong stuff. Like you, I haven't seen any reports of broken units. Probably can't hang the K-1 with mounted 560 lens from the screen, but decent use should be fine.

I also forget to use the articulation at times. Using it as a waist level viewfinder is kind of cool. My first real camera was a medium format Yashica Mat 124G. Loved the camera but the reversed image took a lot of getting used to. Now the K-1 offers waist level non reversed viewing. Nice!

Thanks,
barondla

11-04-2019, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would probably enjoy using it if I had a camera with it. For most of my shooting I would probably still use the view finder but it seems like a feature perfect for astrophotography when you have the camera at odd angles on a tripod where a view finder becomes really hard to use.
11-04-2019, 11:20 AM - 5 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I use it all the time!

Well, not ALL, but close.

On a tripod, I usually use live view, and use the LCD tilted at all times. This lets me keep the tripod lower.

When shooting at lower angles, I switch to LV and tilt the LCD.

When showing an image to others, I often tilt it for more comfortable viewing.

It's such a natural and fluid movement, I only notice it when I don't have it (i.e. with my K-3).
11-04-2019, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #7

I recall there were a couple of reports of one of legs popping out of the track and one or two of jamming up in extreme cold windows but that's about it.

11-04-2019, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I like it better than a flip out screen because it stays on axis.
11-04-2019, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like the rear screen seems less flimsy than the K70 however like the movement on the K70 more, dont like the top LCD screen too small to see for old eyes, better when lite up. but i use rear screen all the time to check settings, ( may be because I use a K70 and had this first) only my opinion.
11-04-2019, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

It is actually really cool and useful. It folds easily. All the flip and fold Displays cannot compete.
11-04-2019, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I like the lcd screen. It fits 95 percent of my usage but sometimes I would like to have it turned a 180°. When I put the camera on the floor to take a UWW picture of the ceiling of a room, or put it directly to a wall to get the opposite wall or object. For all other cases i pref the K1 system because i keeps in line with the camera axis
11-04-2019, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-1's Moon Lander screen is a high lite of this outstanding camera. I sometimes just pull it out to experiment with angles but I also use it often. A gem of Pentax engineering.
11-04-2019, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #13

I love it.
11-04-2019, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I like the K-1 articulated screen design. Seems a pretty robust solution, though it is very clear the design anticipates the photographer will
be more or less behind the camera rather than in front of or off to the side. I see no real problem with that as the K-1 is certainly not a
selfie camera. The articulation is just enough to allow for shooting at oblique angles. I agree it does seem like an elaborate (ie expensive)
way of achieving the goal of a robust articulated screen, as well as being space inefficient and wouldn't be surprised if no future Pentax
cameras use that design.
11-04-2019, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I like the flexibility of the articulated screen. I have not had any problems with it, not even in freezing conditions. Would love to see the design in future bodies.