Show Printable Version 90 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes..... It's.........very good.

So very very good.

11-17-2019, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

I actually love it! It's so much faster to orient than a standard version. Way to innovate again Pentax
11-17-2019, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #63
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Works quite nicely for me. Never had an issue with it (so far), and it sure gets looks from Nikon and Canon shooters when I pull it out to change positions.
11-17-2019, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #64
Inactive Account

I don't have a K1 but I am sure like it and hope it will find its way to the new APSC body because I will likely upgrade to that body in future.

11-18-2019, 07:48 PM - 2 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Always wanted a tilt screen for macro and other uses. Years ago Pentax wasn't interested so I bought an Olympus with the feature. Didn't use the screen as much as anticipated.

Using the Pentax K-1 flip screen much more and I'm not sure why. It seems to be a stranger implementation than the multi directional Olympus. But I use it more. Anyone else run into this?

Do you think Pentax will stick with this flippy screen design or drop it on future K-1 versions? It looks expensive to manufacture.
Thanks,
barondla
The K1 is my first experience of a flippy screen, and I love it. Recently was on a safari holiday in Kenya where my go to stabilization was a bean bag on the vehicle window frame or open roof. The adjustable screen made it so much easier to keep focused on game/bird targets while waiting for a shot, as one lands up holding and pointing the camera at various odd angles in that situation. It was also perfect for tripod based eclipse shots. Now I find myself wishing all my bodies had one (still using my K5iis and K3). Despite prevailing doubts, I’m really hoping that the K-new has one too when final design is revealed.
11-18-2019, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So very useful for high/low tripod use and also to avoid sun glare
11-18-2019, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the lcd mechanism and prefer it to the one offered on the KP. It feels robust with great flexibility and haptics.

I often shoot in portrait orientation where I get some angle to the side on the K-1 but not on the KP. For work with a small travel tripod and panorama shooting in portrait orientation using live view the perfect companion IMO.

11-18-2019, 10:29 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only experience with a movable LCD screen was with other people’s cameras and my Fujifilm X30, prior to buying the K-1. I really like the K-1’s screen, and I do use it a lot. I’ve since acquired an Olympus OM-D EM5ii, which has a flip-out-and-twist LCD, and neither it nor the Fuji’s are a patch on the versatility of the K-1 mechanism.

After seeing the initial videos that had the K-1 being held and shaken by the LCD screen, I had no hesitation about its strength. Before that, I wasn’t so much concerned about the strength of the rods (you can hang a lot on that much steel section), as I was with the ball and socket arrangement, but they’ve proven their strength, too.

I do hope Ricoh keeps the K-1’s LCD mechanism on their next model.
11-19-2019, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
My only experience with a movable LCD screen was with other people’s cameras and my Fujifilm X30, prior to buying the K-1. I really like the K-1’s screen, and I do use it a lot. I’ve since acquired an Olympus OM-D EM5ii, which has a flip-out-and-twist LCD, and neither it nor the Fuji’s are a patch on the versatility of the K-1 mechanism.

After seeing the initial videos that had the K-1 being held and shaken by the LCD screen, I had no hesitation about its strength. Before that, I wasn’t so much concerned about the strength of the rods (you can hang a lot on that much steel section), as I was with the ball and socket arrangement, but they’ve proven their strength, too.

I do hope Ricoh keeps the K-1’s LCD mechanism on their next model.
That is a very useful and relevant comparison.

I have used side-swiveling screens in the past, and even though they offer the advantage of easier selfies, the struts of the K-1 offer so much more.
11-19-2019, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Always wanted a tilt screen for macro and other uses. Years ago Pentax wasn't interested so I bought an Olympus with the feature. Didn't use the screen as much as anticipated.

Using the Pentax K-1 flip screen much more and I'm not sure why. It seems to be a stranger implementation than the multi directional Olympus. But I use it more. Anyone else run into this?

Do you think Pentax will stick with this flippy screen design or drop it on future K-1 versions? It looks expensive to manufacture.
Thanks,
barondla
Yes, I like it. Since most of my K-1 use are landscapes on a tripod I don't often use the tilt screen but occasionally it's very useful. For example, when I shot the eclipses of the sun and moon the camera was on a tripod but at a very steep upward angle and using the tilt made the process much easier (and easier on my aching back!).
11-19-2019, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #71
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
.. I’m really hoping that the K-new has one too when final design is revealed.
Same same and this thread seems to show many people love it on K1 but on the other hands when the new flagship APS-C conversation came up, I can see numbers of people argue that it looks like an action camera, therefore, they are happy not to have an articulate screen.
I view it not only Pentax should put articulate screen on the new flagship APS-C, but it should also be the K1 style articulate screen and make it a characteristic of Pentax flagship body.
11-19-2019, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not assume that all posts are informed or coherent, especially in the rumors section where you read the statements about the new APS-C. They are just random opinions.
11-19-2019, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

I for one love the articulating screen on my K1; even more than the version on my KP. Folks think it is super cool when you show it to them too!
11-25-2019, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

Using the Pentax K-1 flip screen much more and I'm not sure why. It seems to be a stranger implementation than the multi directional Olympus. But I use it more. Anyone else run into this? Do you think Pentax will stick with this flippy screen design or drop it on future K-1 versions? It looks expensive to manufacture.
I love the screen design, and I think as good as it can get for a screen that's still attached to the camera. Not that I would want a detachable screen... just saying I can't think of a better design. I suspect they've gotten a lot of attention and positive feedback from the design and practical use, so I think they'll probably stick with it in top tier models. And it can't be too expensive, since the K-1 was <$2K when it was brand new.
11-25-2019, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #75
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I often forget the KP even has a tilting screen, but I frequently use the K-1's four poster. It is a uniquely wonderful implementation.

As an aside - I might be one of few people who has actually injured the K-1 LCD. I dropped the camera (with the DFA24-70 mounted!) onto the floor of the cable car station in Juneau, Alaska and dislocated one of the struts. Despite using as much force as I was willing to risk I couldn't pop the ball back into its slot. I continued to use the camera until I got home, where CR Kennedy repaired it for me free of charge.