Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can autofocus adjustments be combined?

As an example can a +5 overall be used with a +10 single to get a +15 for a particular lens?
Thanks,
barondla

11-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think so as the options are apply 1 or apply all so you either have a +5 apply all or a +10 for a specific lens.
11-07-2019, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
As an example can a +5 overall be used with a +10 single to get a +15 for a particular lens?
Thanks,
barondla
Nope.

The AF/FA menu is not simply for setting adjustments, but is also for telling the camera which adjustments (if any) to use. Let's say you have set a apply all correction for the camera, and also have set a apply one correction for one lens. The camera will remember these settings but will use them only in the following circumstances:

Exit the menu from NONE and no adjustment will be made.
Exit the menu from APPLY ALL and the apply all setting will be used
Exit the menu from APPLY ONE and the apply one setting will be used.

They are not cumulative.

Also, if you have the camera in APPLY ONE mode and you mount a lens that has not been calibrated, the camera will default to the APPLY ALL setting.
11-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Also, if you have the camera in APPLY ONE mode and you mount a lens that has not been calibrated, the camera will default to the APPLY ALL setting.
This answers a related question I have had and now for a while. I was wondering if setting apply all would cause the loss of the various apply one settings but this actually makes me really happy as I won't have to dork around with changing things for the one lens that I need to use the apply all setting for. Thanks.

11-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A nice addition to auto-focus adjustments would be the ability to have two adjustments for a zoom lens. A separate adjustment for either end of the zoom. All of my zooms require a separate adjustment on them, so I have to pick which end I want to apply the adjustment to.
11-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Unregistered User

reminds me of an itch I've been having in the back of my mind for some time: can you set the thing to do "adjust each lens individually" and then, having mounted a manual focus lens, switch to "adjust all the same way", and be able to revert with all settings intact when I install an AF lens?

Secondly, what effect, if any, does that adjustment have on focusing with the viewfinder with a manual focus lens installed? What about with "live view"?
11-07-2019, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
This answers a related question I have had and now for a while. I was wondering if setting apply all would cause the loss of the various apply one settings but this actually makes me really happy as I won't have to dork around with changing things for the one lens that I need to use the apply all setting for. Thanks.
This is very important and is not fully explained in the manual.

You need to appreciate the two completely separate functions of the AF/FA menu. One is to RECORD a setting for global or individual lenses. The other is to select which mode you want to operate the camera in (apply all or apply one or no adjustment) It took me a while to figure out this latter nuance. It means that even if you record a "APPLY ONE or APPLY ALL" setting, it will not be used unless you set the camera up accordingly.

So APPLY ALL will not affect any individual (APPLY ONE) setting that has been recorded in memory. But whether the camera uses APPLY ALL or APPLY ONE will depend on how you exit the memory
11-07-2019, 03:25 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Secondly, what effect, if any, does that adjustment have on focusing with the viewfinder with a manual focus lens installed?
Yeah, your global setting should apply.

What about with "live view"?
No, these settings are for the PDAF system, not CDAF.

11-07-2019, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

can you set the thing to do "adjust each lens individually" and then, having mounted a manual focus lens, switch to "adjust all the same way", and be able to revert with all settings intact when I install an AF lens?
Yes. 1. The camera is set to APPLY ONE. 2. If you now mount a manual focus lens (which the camera regards as an uncalibrated lens), it will default to APPLY ALL. 3. Then when you mount a new lens which does have a registered calibration in memory the camera will use that because it will revert back to APPLY ONE.

This will of course only work if you have previously saved settings for any AF lenses concerned and also for the APPLY ALL setting (which is irrespective of lens)

---------- Post added 11-07-19 at 10:28 PM ----------

What about with "live view"?
Nope ...Live View does not use the AF/FA menu at all.
11-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I don't believe so
11-08-2019, 02:48 AM   #11
Unregistered User

Thanks, @Clackers and @Pschlute; then the next question is whether those settings are cumulative. I.e., does the "apply all" setting get added to (or affect) the "apply one" setting, or are they treated as wholly disparate options?
11-08-2019, 02:56 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

then the next question is whether those settings are cumulative. I.e., does the "apply all" setting get added to (or affect) the "apply one" setting, or are they treated as wholly disparate options?
No they are not cumulative. There is no way they can be cumulative. See my post #3
11-08-2019, 03:03 AM   #13
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
No they are not cumulative. There is no way they can be cumulative. See my post #3
Thanks - that clears up a lot of questions.
11-09-2019, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
A nice addition to auto-focus adjustments would be the ability to have two adjustments for a zoom lens. A separate adjustment for either end of the zoom. All of my zooms require a separate adjustment on them, so I have to pick which end I want to apply the adjustment to.
It's too bad because other brands do offer adjusting at multiple points with the same lens.

To answer the original question of the op, the only way you could "double stack" adjustments is with say a Sigma or Tamron lens and using their branded docks. You could then adjust the lens individually and then again while on the camera body thru the camera itself.

At least I'm pretty sure that would work
11-11-2019, 02:30 AM   #15
Unregistered User

Well, here's an "undocumented feature": I tried out the use of a manual lens (Irix Blackstone 11mm) on the K-1 to see what the autofocus fine-adjustment function would make of it. Apparently, if the lens has the smarts to identify itself to the camera, then the K-1 will use the "apply one" individual setting to that lens. I have yet to determine whether that affects focusing using only the viewfinder without autofocus availability.

But, thinking about it some more, it occurred to me that, using a lens capable of autofocus, with an adjustment factor applied, my problem is that autofocus and manual focus using the viewfinder get different offsets. I.e., I get the autofocus adjustment right for that lens, but then using manual focus gets a bit of front-focusing. That is to say, using the viewfinder to bring a particular spot into focus using only the focusing ring on the lens, the resultant picture will show a spot somewhat closer to the camera as in focus, while the spot I focused on using the viewfinder is out of focus. Seems like a "shouldn't happen" situation.