Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #46
Veteran Member

from 10 feet back...those are stars! Very nice ! Only edit I would do....left side horizon....block out artificial lights. Enjoy the photo on the wall.

12-11-2019, 11:38 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
On a portrait assignment I was asked to make a group portrait that mimics "Lunch atop a scyscraper" but with an view of Stockholm rather than NY. The photo is actually taken on a rooftop in central Stockholm. This picture is now a wallpaper 2.7x3.5 m in size, in the customers lunch restaurant. I guess the wallpaper printing was the limiting factor rather than my K-1 and the appearance depends heavily on the viewing distance
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-11-2019, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marmitse Quote
On a portrait assignment I was asked to make a group portrait that mimics "Lunch atop a scyscraper" but with an view of Stockholm rather than NY. The photo is actually taken on a rooftop in central Stockholm. This picture is now a wallpaper 2.7x3.5 m in size, in the customers lunch restaurant. I guess the wallpaper printing was the limiting factor rather than my K-1 and the appearance depends heavily on the viewing distance
Superb photo. I wouldn't want to be one of the subjects out on the beam. Doubt I'd even want to be where you were when taking this image. Great job.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
12-12-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

That is indeed very successful photo considering the original masterpiece. For it conveys similar information about the time it was taken: mixture of architecture around the cityscape, clothing style (and brand) etc. And, something has not changed - human is still superior in particular tasks.

12-12-2019, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Very, very cool image. I'm with barondla, it must have been stressful to pose and to shoot.
12-12-2019, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

I would have made one little modification to the setup: One person should have one shoe missing from either foot.
12-12-2019, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Superb!
Please explain how you did it?

12-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #53

I've print a 80X120cm for a gift ! Very nice and i think it's possible to do more
12-20-2019, 02:07 PM - 6 Likes   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Superb photo. I wouldn't want to be one of the subjects out on the beam. Doubt I'd even want to be where you were when taking this image. Great job.
Thanks for sharing,
barondla
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
That is indeed very successful photo considering the original masterpiece. For it conveys similar information about the time it was taken: mixture of architecture around the cityscape, clothing style (and brand) etc. And, something has not changed - human is still superior in particular tasks.
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Very, very cool image. I'm with barondla, it must have been stressful to pose and to shoot.
QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Superb!
Please explain how you did it?
Thanks barondla, MJKoski, bdery and VSTAR for interest and comments on my picture mimicing "Lunch atop a skyscraper" above. Maybe I should not ruin the magic, but we are all photographers, so here is how it was done:

On a gray and windy autumn afternoon I took te whole gang up on the roof of the company building. The building itself is eight stories high and situated in the south part of the city and with a great view over central Stockholm. On top of the roof-ridge there is a horisontal ladder typically used for chimney sweepers and this is where they all sit. To the left you see a part of the tin roof. This roof actually extends all the way to the right (but at a steeper angle) and is under their feet. After the portrait session was over I walked up to the chimney sweeper ladder an took a shot of the water and buildings behind and below the scene. The image above is then a Photoshop composite of the group portrait and the second image replacing the tin roof below them.

The portrait was lit by two flashes and umbrellas tied to the roof. The only one taking a risk here was me. To get the right angle I had arranged with a ladder to reach a higher part of the building. If you zoom in on the image brlow you will see that I donīt stand on the roof but I balance on the second highest step of the ladder - everything for the art!

Oh - and all of them were very much engaged in the preparation and planning: They had all studied the original photo to imitate their individual placement, pose, clothing and prop. The original is of course older, but if you look closely at the newspaper headline its says (in Swedish) "Nixon being dismissed". The guy found the old newspaper from 1974 in his home during a restoration!
Attached Images

Last edited by marmitse; 12-20-2019 at 02:21 PM.
12-20-2019, 11:20 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks barondla, MJKoski, bdery and VSTAR for interest and comments on my picture mimicing "Lunch atop a skyscraper" above. Maybe I should not ruin the magic, but we are all photographers, so here is how it was done:

On a gray and windy autumn afternoon I took te whole gang up on the roof of the company building. The building itself is eight stories high and situated in the south part of the city and with a great view over central Stockholm. On top of the roof-ridge there is a horisontal ladder typically used for chimney sweepers and this is where they all sit. To the left you see a part of the tin roof. This roof actually extends all the way to the right (but at a steeper angle) and is under their feet. After the portrait session was over I walked up to the chimney sweeper ladder an took a shot of the water and buildings behind and below the scene. The image above is then a Photoshop composite of the group portrait and the second image replacing the tin roof below them.

The portrait was lit by two flashes and umbrellas tied to the roof. The only one taking a risk here was me. To get the right angle I had arranged with a ladder to reach a higher part of the building. If you zoom in on the image brlow you will see that I donīt stand on the roof but I balance on the second highest step of the ladder - everything for the art!

Oh - and all of them were very much engaged in the preparation and planning: They had all studied the original photo to imitate their individual placement, pose, clothing and prop. The original is of course older, but if you look closely at the newspaper headline its says (in Swedish) "Nixon being dismissed". The guy found the old newspaper from 1974 in his home during a restoration!
Thanks for the explanation. Knew a lot of planning went into this image. You are standing in an even more dangerous spot than guessed. I wouldn't do it.
Thanks,
barondla
12-21-2019, 01:03 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crazy!
12-21-2019, 06:14 AM   #57
Veteran Member

My largest thus far is a 20X30 inch done after a 1/3 crop and it's very sharp. It's a landscape done on a tripod with settings to maximize sharpness and printed by Costco. What surprised me is that the lens was a 70-200 mm Tamron at 200. I didn't expect that lens to be that sharp. Based on this experience I suspect considerably larger prints could successfully be done.
12-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Greatly appreciated for the explanation.....now that's a love of art and photography.
Just happen to have purchased this weekend a magazine by LIFE about the most memorable 100 photographs..and guess what was in it!
Attached Images

12-22-2019, 02:10 AM   #59
Pentaxian

I have a 20'X30' print made by a professional lab, taken with my 12.6 MP K20D. Of course, if you look from 10 cm distance it's not supersharp, but from a normal viewing distance it looks perfectly OK. I wouldn't hesitate to make a wallpaper sized print from my K-1, if I ever took a photo worth it!

Kjell
12-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe I should not ruin the magic, but we are all photographers, so here is how it was done:
Thank you so much for posting your picture and letting us in on the magic. I think the picture was very well planned and accomplished.

- Craig