Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Loss of Dust Screen

Has anyone ever figured out why Pentax no longer includes the Dust screen in its latest DSLRs (KP and K-1/K-1ii)? I do not remember the exact name but is was the menu selection which took a closed shutter image of the sensor to reveal the exact location of dust particles. I know many of us miss it.

12-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The feature you're looking for is called Dust Alert.

From K-5 User Manual:
"Dust Alert is a function that detects dust adhering to the CMOS sensor and visually displays the location of the dust. You can save an image indicating the dust location and display it when performing sensor cleaning".

From K-1 User Manual:
"Use a lens brush to remove dust accumulated on a lens. Never use a spray blower for cleaning as it may damage the lens. Please contact your nearest service center for professional cleaning of the CMOS sensor".

It would appear to me that they no longer encourage people to clean their own sensors and professional cleaners would not require a Dust Alert feature.
That's just my guess.
12-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I well remember trying it out for the first time on my then new K-3ii, before I read the manual.

I had the camera on my lap with the lens pointing at my jeans and activated it. It then showed me the weave pattern in the cloth and for a moment I thought my sensor was filthy, then sense prevailed. I never did use it again even after 35,000 shots.

So it was a nice idea, maybe useful on occasion to see a stubborn deposit. I guess there were more useful functions demanding menu space and it dropped off the bottom of the list.
12-19-2019, 09:53 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just take a picture of a white de-focused evenly lit door with a lens at f/32. The tiny aperture results in very sharply directed light and projects a crisp picture of what's there in terms of dust.

12-19-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I just take a picture of a white de-focused evenly lit door with a lens at f/32. The tiny aperture results in very sharply directed light and projects a crisp picture of what's there in terms of dust.
This sounds like a good workaround.
12-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I have been working around this much as has been suggested above but what i am curious about is if anyone knows why they removed this nifty function. There was speculation early on about memory space but it was just speculation. I suspect know one here knows for sure, but just in case.
12-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Has anyone ever figured out why Pentax no longer includes the Dust screen in its latest DSLRs (KP and K-1/K-1ii)? I do not remember the exact name but is was the menu selection which took a closed shutter image of the sensor to reveal the exact location of dust particles. I know many of us miss it.
Good question. It is a useful function and I was unaware it has not been included in the feature set after the K-3II.

Steve

12-19-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It was useful, thanks JensE for the idea.
12-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I usually take a photo of the cloudless blue sky or white wall.
Funny thing I just recall reading your question is when I sent my camera for the sensor clean up at Pentax Square in Shinjuku. When it is done, it is a common practice for them to test in front of the customer to show that it is not a single dust on the sensor. And they have never used the in-body dust alert to test it They always shoot at one of the white walls in the store and show me that it is dust-free.