Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 23
What do I need to copy 35mm slides with my Pentax K-1 camera

Hi Everyone,

I would like to copy my 35mm slides with my K-1. I have the 100mm Macro.
Nikon makes a slide copy attachment for there 60mm Micro-Nikkor.
Does Pentax have a similar device?

I also have an old Nikon PB-5 bellows.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Mike

12-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian
ecostigny's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Branford, CT
Posts: 435
QuoteOriginally posted by rodagon Quote
Hi Everyone,

I would like to copy my 35mm slides with my K-1. I have the 100mm Macro.
Nikon makes a slide copy attachment for there 60mm Micro-Nikkor.
Does Pentax have a similar device?

I also have an old Nikon PB-5 bellows.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Mike
I used to copy slides with a Pentax Auto Bellows K and Slide Copier K attachment paired with my 50mm lens. The bellows allowed me to reverse the lens to increase magnification, while the slide copier held the slide and allowed you to project a light source (such as a slide projector) onto a translucent white panel behind the slide. I used dedicated slide copying film which was balanced for tungsten light. The results were usually good, if not always spectacular. Here's a link showing the setup that I used: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-auto-bellows-k-slide-copier-k.html you can probably find something on ebay.

I presume this is the Nikon slide copy attachment: ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter Set from Nikon

The Nikon slide copier will certainly attach to your macro lens, though you may need a step-up ring to accommodate the difference in filter sizes (as long as the slide copier takes a larger filter size than your Pentax lens, you're all set for compatibility). All you need is a good light source and proper manual white balancing, and you should be good to go. The K-1 should provide plenty of resolution for your slides.

Last edited by ecostigny; 12-20-2019 at 10:04 AM.
12-19-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Aug 2019
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 86
You will need a slide copier, bellows or extension tubes, a 50mm standart ou macro (better) lens. See this https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2988663 for doing it with an APS-C instead of full frame. The process is the same, only magnification needs to be diferent.
12-19-2019, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Junior Member
jantjooh's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 39
QuoteOriginally posted by rodagon Quote
Hi Everyone,

I would like to copy my 35mm slides with my K-1. I have the 100mm Macro.
Nikon makes a slide copy attachment for there 60mm Micro-Nikkor.
Does Pentax have a similar device?

I also have an old Nikon PB-5 bellows.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Mike
If you intend to copy MANY slides, you might consider to convert a slide projector, like I did. See my post in The K-m does an unusual job..: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

12-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: dfw.tx.us
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 293
QuoteOriginally posted by jantjooh Quote
If you intend to copy MANY slides, you might consider to convert a slide projector, like I did. See my post in The K-m does an unusual job..: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
That's very clever and resourceful!
12-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Alex645's Avatar

Join Date: May 2015
Location: Kaneohe, HI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,929
QuoteOriginally posted by rodagon Quote
I would like to copy my 35mm slides with my K-1. I have the 100mm Macro.
Nikon makes a slide copy attachment for there 60mm Micro-Nikkor.
Does Pentax have a similar device?
Mike,
There are many ways to "digitize" your slides and they all have their pros and cons. Novoflex Castel makes a digital slide copying attachment that should work with your K1 and 100mm macro. You'll just need to set up a place where you're using an even full spectrum light source with care to not have any light reflect off the front of the slide.
Novoflex Castel Digital Slide Copying Attachment CASTEL-COP-DIGI

There are many flatbed scanners that also have slide carriers and in terms of price and quality, it's hard to beat the Epson V600. You can pay more for better quality but the price rises quickly. Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner B11B198011 B&H Photo Video

Personally because I have both 35mm and 120 film that I want to scan, I use an expensive Plustek Opticfilm 120 film scanner. B&H has 19 models just for 35mm slides and they start at $40 with Kodak using a smartphone: Kodak Mobile Film Scanner RODMFS50 B&H Photo Video

I would imagine that Pentax made a film era slide copier attachment, but I don't know the compatibility with the K1. Currently I know Ricoh in the UK sells a slide copier that would work with your K1 and 100mm macro, but it will set you back £1000 less a 10% sale they are currently running.
PENTAX Film Duplicator (with Mount Holder 24x36)

If you go the film scanner route, make your comparison shopping with not just the file size or resolution specs, but also the Dmax and bit depth numbers. Also what scanner software is included. Silverfast and VueScan are good options.
12-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 243
Need a dust blower to get dust off slides.

Need a camera slide copying attachment as described above or..
Buy a digital scanner for film vs and slides. Depends what you are doing with the digital copies. If more than 8x10 enlargements then a higher end digital scanner needed. If just for the computer monitor...then even a $100. will get you one.

Check bh photo, type in slide scanner in search and that should help.
12-19-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 23
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I used to copy slides with a Pentax Auto Bellows K and Slide Copier K attachment paired with my 50mm lens. The bellows allowed me to reverse the lens to increase magnification, while the slide copier held the slide and allowed you to project a light source (such as a slide projector) onto a translucent white panel behind the slide. I used dedicated slide copying film which was balanced for tungsten light. The results were usually good, if not always spectacular. Here's a link showing the setup that I used: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-auto-bellows-k-slide-copier-k.html; you can probably find something on ebay.

I presume this is the Nikon slide copy attachment: ES-2 Film Digitizing Adapter Set from Nikon

The Nikon slide copier will certainly attach to your macro lens, though you may need a step-up ring to accommodate the difference in filter sizes (as long as the slide copier takes a larger filter size than your Pentax lens, you're all set for compatibility). All you need is a good light source and proper manual white balancing, and you should be good to go. The K-1 should provide plenty of resolution for your slides.
Thanks! It looks like the link to the setup was deleted.......

Page Not Found - 404 Error
Oops! It looks like the page you are looking for has been moved or deleted. Please use the box below to search our homepage news and reviews. If you're looking for something on our Pentax forum, you may want to visit the forum search page.


Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-auto-bellows-k-slide-co...#ixzz68a8smcna

12-19-2019, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,291
QuoteOriginally posted by jantjooh Quote
If you intend to copy MANY slides, you might consider to convert a slide projector, like I did. See my post in The K-m does an unusual job..: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
That deserves an article here on Pentax Forums. Iíve often wondered what I should do with my old Rollei slide projector.
12-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 219
There actually is an equivalent product, the film duplicator. It probably isn't widely known or distributed though. Uses a Pentax flash for the light source. Homegrown solution is probably the easier less expensive way.
12-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,913
QuoteOriginally posted by baldeagle21b Quote
There actually is an equivalent product, the film duplicator.
Indeed there is:

PENTAX Film Duplicator (with Mount Holder 24x36) - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S

In fact there are two Pentax film duplicator models available, one for 24x36, another for MF:
Pentax Film Duplicator helps you scan 35mm and medium-format film quicker

?????????????????? | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 2019-12-20 at 08:23 AM ----------

This might also work if one is only doing slides. Costs a lot less than the Pentax kit:

Amazon.com : Polaroid HD Slide Duplicator With Macro Lens Capabilty For SLR Cameras : Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo
12-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 23
Original Poster
Thanks everyone! It looks like thePentax Film Duplicator would be perfect. As usual, it is VERY Overpriced......

Years ago I scanned 35mm slides with a Nikon Coolscan. It was good, but not high enough resolution for large prints. I have a Canon PRO 4000 inkjet printer and I print up to 44 inches wide. More often - 24x36.

I need the highest resolution possible for my better slides. I believe a 36mp to 50mp digital full frame via a slide duplication would be ideal.

I will only do 35mm slides. For 4x5 transparencies I use a Microtek ArtixScan 1800f and up-rez them with GIGAPIXEL software to 3600 dpi. Works very well.

Just have to figure out the best combo with a slide copier attachment to a 50mm - 100mm macro lens or 75mm Rodagon-D enlarger lens.
Perhaps I will need a bellows afterall?

I am open to all suggestions. The end goal is best image quality with print output to 24x36 (MAX).
12-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,133
I use a Nikon ES-1 slide copier on a K1 with a FA50 Macro (and a 49->52 step ring).
ES-1 Slide Copying Adapter for 52mm Thread from Nikon
It is vastly easier than anything I have managed with bellows...

It seems to work pretty well, but the K1 really likes to point out how lousy your slides were 40 years ago... and I do need to work on the best way to capture all of the dynamic range that is in the film. It's more complicated than "set to P, push button" unfortunately.

One thing I will point out is that live view lets you focus the slide like an enlarger grain focuser... but if your slides are that grainy, they probably aren't going to be happy at 24"x36"

-Eric
12-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 23
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I use a Nikon ES-1 slide copier on a K1 with a FA50 Macro (and a 49->52 step ring).
ES-1 Slide Copying Adapter for 52mm Thread from Nikon
It is vastly easier than anything I have managed with bellows...

It seems to work pretty well, but the K1 really likes to point out how lousy your slides were 40 years ago... and I do need to work on the best way to capture all of the dynamic range that is in the film. It's more complicated than "set to P, push button" unfortunately.

One thing I will point out is that live view lets you focus the slide like an enlarger grain focuser... but if your slides are that grainy, they probably aren't going to be happy at 24"x36"

-Eric
Hi Eric,

Thank you for the details on your setup. It sounds much easier than working with a bellows.

I had a slide scanner in the late 1990s and it had decent resolution - 2700, if I remember correctly.

I was always a tripod guy and I used Kodachrome 25 whenever I could so the copies were not too bad. I just wanted more resolution for printing large.
I guess I will see how lousy the films were when I use the K-1. I just ordered the ES-1 and the 49-52mm step up ring.

Have you ever tried copying in Pixel Shift mode?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
12-20-2019, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,133
QuoteOriginally posted by rodagon Quote
Hi Eric,

Thank you for the details on your setup. It sounds much easier than working with a bellows.

I had a slide scanner in the late 1990s and it had decent resolution - 2700, if I remember correctly.

I was always a tripod guy and I used Kodachrome 25 whenever I could so the copies were not too bad. I just wanted more resolution for printing large.
I guess I will see how lousy the films were when I use the K-1. I just ordered the ES-1 and the 49-52mm step up ring.

Have you ever tried copying in Pixel Shift mode?

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I've just been fiddling, mostly, trying to scan a bunch of photos my parents shot when I was a kid.

A lot of it is Kodachrome 64, which looks really good, 40 years on, when it has a good original image.
Problem is, most of the images aren't very good... so I get things like this:



It looks great on a light table with the naked eye... but blown up and it looks like a too-slow shutter speed... but up close you can see the grain of the Kodachrome (not in a forum post).

My biggest challenge is capturing the full dynamic range of the image. Here, there is an obvious panel (paint?) on the vertical tail, but if I just let the camera go, it blows it out. I had to underexpose a lot to get it back. A mild HDR helps with that more than pixel shift...

A lot of it is also Ektachrome, which is less than good news. Happily, most of it hasn't faded, but the colors aren't the same and the grain is worse.

So more like this:



which when zoomed in looks like this:



So the grain is huge, and the image is generally soft (love those early zooms...). Pixel shift doesn't really help there.

These images are all basically untouched OOC Jpegs since I'm just fooling around (they are all cropped some and the ultralight had some shadows lifted), so some post-processing would help a lot. (as would cleaning the slides). But I expect I wouldn't see too much difference with a dedicated slide scanner (maybe in the dynamic range the software helped me get), and I'm certainly not limited by the K1's resolution. A real scanner would have easier workflow, but for my needs, I think this will be fine.

The FA 50mm lens is a touch shorter focal length than what Nikon envisaged (the 55 or 60mm Nikkors), so I get a black border around the slides when they're in focus. Since there's a fixed distance in the adapter (and I'm also adding the step ring), there is a small but noticeable impact on image size. You will have the opposite problem with the 100mm lens... and will probably be too close for focus with the ES-1 as is. You'll probably need a few cm worth of additional distance where the step ring goes... I think that's how all that works...

I hope that helps...

-Eric
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
35mm, 35mm slide/film scanner, camera, copy, copy 35mm slides, dslr, duplicator, film, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, nikon, pentax, pentax k-1, ricoh, slides, slr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slides - Scan or Copy? Khukri Photographic Technique 20 09-12-2014 07:17 PM
What to do with old slides p38arover Photographic Industry and Professionals 11 10-04-2013 06:26 AM
Need help to confirm that my new K-5 and kit lens is not a bad copy kkx Pentax K-5 12 01-07-2012 02:53 PM
Need your help with scanning of slides Rense Pentax Medium Format 7 05-21-2011 11:16 AM
How do I view my 6x7 slides? awksedgreep Pentax Medium Format 5 06-28-2009 01:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top