Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2019, 04:28 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The size and weight of larger format cameras would create new challenges and foster creativity I should think.
Some effect of this kind would also occur when using prime lenses.

12-24-2019, 04:32 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a paradox:

I only have seven prime lenses for my largest format camera. On the next format down I have at least 26 lenses, including several zooms.

Which format stifles creativity the most? Or maybe it's possible that I'm the problem....
12-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
If they feel that having the top of the line will turn them into their favorite photographer, they have a sad future in front them.
you see this kind of mentality with musicians*. I'm going to play like Jimmy Galway Or Heinz Holliger with this expensive new Flute/Oboe....nope, that isn't how any of this works.

*and probably in hundreds of other professions that rely on specialized tools and equipment.
12-24-2019, 07:28 AM   #64

I dont understand how one might think that changing sensor size ruins creativity. If anything going from APS-C to FF gives you a different sense of depth in images that perhaps increases what you can do creatively.

12-24-2019, 07:59 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
We are now in page 4 and I believe I'll be the first one to say it, but...

...anyone looking at gear as a motivator (or excuse) for their creativity, is looking at the wrong factor...
I get your point, but I'm not sure about this. A very small camera - like the Pentax Q - can spark thoughts that never even formed when you are accustomed to carrying to larger gear.

And I know a number of folks who are making photos they couldn't in the past, because of the flip-out/articulating LCD's.
12-24-2019, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

I agree. Large camera is best used with carefully planned shoot. Scouting missions are rarely successful with constant pressure to produce "better" photographs when carrying such high IQ device.
12-24-2019, 08:46 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I get your point, but I'm not sure about this. A very small camera - like the Pentax Q - can spark thoughts that never even formed when you are accustomed to carrying to larger gear.

And I know a number of folks who are making photos they couldn't in the past, because of the flip-out/articulating LCD's.
I understand what you are saying... I was thinking more in terms of sensor size as the thread implied. There are other factors, such as a WR camera allowing you to go out when it's drizzling, for example... or the articulating screen allowing you to shoot from other angles. In that regard I agree, but it's one part the right equipment allowing you to fulfill your creative vision, and another part the right gear allowing you to go out in situations where you haven't gone out before, so in that sense it does open up creativity. Still not related to sensor size though...

12-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I do miss the days of one camera one lens. I feel I am either carrying too little or too much gear. I wonder if this feeling is why people enjoy primes or compact cameras like the Ricoh GR or x100 series. It gets back to the days of spontaneity and not worrying about the gear. I wonder if that is why I am gravitating back to film.
12-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I do miss the days of one camera one lens.
How is that, when going out just take one camera and one lens, change it up on different days different lens, I do this all the time.
12-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don"t know what all the fuss is about. It hasn't changed my creativity. Hard to when the pickings are slim. There are a few things that have changed though. I am finding that some of the differences between the K1 and the K7 have made me change the way I take photos.
12-25-2019, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I do miss the days of one camera one lens. I feel I am either carrying too little or too much gear. I wonder if this feeling is why people enjoy primes or compact cameras like the Ricoh GR or x100 series. It gets back to the days of spontaneity and not worrying about the gear. I wonder if that is why I am gravitating back to film.
I guess I don't really understand this. It really isn't that hard to just commit to carrying one camera and one lens. Join the single in group and do it for a month.

Somehow we get nostalgic for the "old days" when tech didn't make our lives easier and when we had fewer options, but there are plenty of ways to get there. Turn off your rear LCD screen, shift to manual focus and choose a single 50mm lens for a month. It may make your creative or it may just make you happier for technology, but either way, it doesn't really matter, just try it.
12-25-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The best and most creative camera out there is the large format camera. Using one is an experience every photographer should have. The process is slow, requires a thought process and the keeper rate is amazing. Ansel Adams thought in terms of one or two really good images a month.

When I used film cameras I found that whenever I surrendered more control to the cameras as they became increasingly automated my images pretty much sucked. When I went digital I though it terms of taking my K5, placing it on my anvil and taking a sledge hammer to it.

Then I placed and old screw mount Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens on the camera. This slowed me down and forced me to go full manual. Then I started to learn to use the various modes and things got better. None of this had anything to do with format. I do prefer my K1's to my APSc cameras. Something in the images I find appealing and having 32MP look at what I want to photograph makes post processing easier for me.

Last edited by gaweidert; 01-08-2020 at 11:44 AM.
12-25-2019, 07:08 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
it's just different types of creativity. Small formats may well encourage more difference in output as well as more experimentation. Creativity doesn't equal experimentation however.
12-26-2019, 03:09 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The best and most creative camera out there is the large format camera. Using one is an experience every photographer should have. The process is slow, requires a thought process and the keeper rate is amazing. Great keeper rate two. Ansel Adams thought in terms of one or two really good images a month.
I have seen film of Ansell Adams at work. I don't know if he did this always but before using the large format camera he would take a poloroid photo first.
12-26-2019, 08:40 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by James also Quote
I have seen film of Ansell Adams at work. I don't know if he did this always but before using the large format camera he would take a poloroid photo first.
A lot of his work predates Polaroid film and cameras. He did embrace the technology when it became available.