Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. Creativity is independent of format size. 100+ years of photography prove my assertion.

12-26-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Non sequitur: Moving to larger formats = diminishing creativity. The whole premise of this thread is a bit absurd.
Exactly
12-27-2019, 07:29 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I do miss the days of one camera one lens. I feel I am either carrying too little or too much gear. I wonder if this feeling is why people enjoy primes or compact cameras like the Ricoh GR or x100 series. It gets back to the days of spontaneity and not worrying about the gear. I wonder if that is why I am gravitating back to film.
Someone who does not have GAS? I am jealous and also shocked. Are you ill? You might need to visit a doctor!
12-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Someone who does not have GAS? I am jealous and also shocked. Are you ill? You might need to visit a doctor!
Haha no, you replace regular GAS with Film GAS and that is just as bad. Already bought a Epson V600 because that was cheaper than sending out film to be scanned. The only good thing is I got plenty of Pentax glass to use with my film cameras. I use FA limiteds with a ZX-5 and SMC-Ms and As on a Pentax Super Program or Me Super.

12-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Or maybe it's possible that I'm the problem....
This is the first step towards recovery. I can help you with the problem, Just box up that nasty excess gear and mail it to me, I'll even pay postage
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Join the single in group and do it for a month.
+1. Have a mildly imposed challenge provides daily impetus to make an image. trying to get an image in at the 11th hour, I find "desperation provides inspiration" and I've come up with some interesting ideas in order to meet that deadline. Being part of a group and seeing their input provides some inspiration, and often helpful tips or comments that allow me to improve and be further inspired. Some lens choices for that month force many of us to be very creative, for example, taking a self portrait with a 500mm lens. It can be done, but those of us that did attempt it came up with different final images, and used different ways to succeed. All very inspirational in the end. Join in, the link is in my signature.
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The process is slow, requires a thought process and the keeper rate is amazing.

...This slowed my down and forced me to go full manual. Then I started to learn to use the various modes and things got better. None of this had anything to do with format.
I agree that a slower process often leads to a better image. This includes the time before I even pick up a camera. This is true no matter what type of camera format we use.
12-30-2019, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Creativity/Ability are in you head.

From the online idiom dictionary: A 13th-century French proverb observed "mauveés ovriers ne trovera ja bon hostill" , ‘bad workmen will never find a good tool’, and variants of this early saying can be found in English until the mid 19th century until the emergence of the modern version. I remember it as "Tis a bad workman that blames his tools".

Bear with me: Moto analogy.In the video link below, a similar controversy resulted in a grudge match. A motocross magazine editor/expert class rider, Warren Johnson, asserted that a Professional motocross rider, Ivan Tedesco, was faster due to his superior equipment. Ivan stated that Warren could ride his pro MX bike, and Ivan would ride an XR650L and still beat him.

The pro bike is a 65 HP beast weighing less that 250 pounds, while the XL650L is a street bike weighing more that 300 pounds with about 45 HP and DOT tires. With equal riders. the street bike wouldn't be in the same ZIP code as the pro bike. If you've got 6 minutes for the video, and if you like motorcycles, just skip to the show, I laugh every time! The pro bike is obviously crazy fast, and the street bike is obviously not! Ivan hams it up using his TURN SIGNALS when he passes and beeping the horn! LOL

If you don't care to watch the vid, what happens is the pro rider on the street bike makes the magazine editor look pretty stupid on the pro nationals bike, lapping much faster on the worst possible bike.

This took more text to convey than I thought, sorry, I do know this is a pentax Photography forum. But I always refer to this video when this subject comes up.

It's not your gear, it's your grey matter.
01-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
I dont understand how one might think that changing sensor size ruins creativity. If anything going from APS-C to FF gives you a different sense of depth in images that perhaps increases what you can do creatively.
I do not think it ruins creativity. But some people have the mentality that buying the latest greatest will solve the creativity problem. If you have that mindset, then upgrading will do nothing and could make it worse.

01-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Just don't use AF. That is the real creativity killer
Just wondering: why?

I take a look at my photos done with and without af and cant see a difference in creativity.

Maybe if you choose the wrong af points it is part of the composition, but in any other case it does not matter to me.
01-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Fear it is often true. Too early to tell if it will be true for me and the K-1. Hope not. Does anyone feel full frame has diminished their creativity?

Almost didn't buy the K-1 and join ff because it might cause a drop in creativity. But the Pentax crop offering was missing many features I wanted. Some, like gps, could be added, but then a new KP ended up costing as much as a slightly used K-1.

Thanks,
barondla
If so, then I'll have to fire up my Kodak disk camera again!
01-07-2020, 10:37 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Just wondering: why?

I take a look at my photos done with and without af and cant see a difference in creativity.

Maybe if you choose the wrong af points it is part of the composition, but in any other case it does not matter to me.

I have to agree. AF is just a tool. It will not help you to frame a photo.
06-22-2021, 06:05 AM   #86

Does size really matter?
07-04-2021, 04:09 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dennis Forster Quote
Does size really matter?
Depends who's asking.....