Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

Pentax K-1 and AF light

Hello,

I'm having some issues with the AF light of the K-1. In my opinion the AF light is NOT turned on fast enough (using AF-S mode of course): the camera first tries to focus and if this is not sucessful it turns on the AF light. I miss shots at weddings and portrait shootings in dark environments due to the slow focussing :-(

I tried to overcome this issue by using a

1. flash (Metz 58 AF-1)
2. Cactus V6 and V6II transmitter
3. Godox transmitter X Pro

But non of it actually solves the issue:

1. The AF light of the 58 AF-1 does not work with the K-1. I have installed the latest firmware, i.e. version 6.0.

2. I can only turn on the AF light of the Cactus transmitters at all(!) times instead of only during focussing.

3. AF light is turned on, but basically it is too late (similar to the internal K-1 AF light) and the light itself is not a huge benefit due to it's shape and intensity.

I have several questions:

Q1: Do you also have the feeling that the K-1 turns on the AF light too late?

Q2: Do you have the same issue with the Metz 58 AF-1?
Q3: Is there a P-TTL flash which AF light works with the K-1?

I'm also looking for a device (it does not need to be a flash; it might be an additional device) which turns on its AF light as soon as I start focussing (back button focussing is turned on).

Q4: Does anyone know if a device like this exists?

Q5: Is this possible from a technical point of view? Is the information that the camera is focussing being provided to e.g. the hot shoe?

Q5: Does anyone know how the AF light works without interfering with the camera's light metering? Is the AF light being turned on first for focussing and right before the image is taken it will be turned off and the light metering is performed?

Puh, many questions... ;-) But I hope you understand my problem!

Regards, Roland

12-28-2019, 12:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geiger Quote
Q1: Do you also have the feeling that the K-1 turns on the AF light too late?
With early firmware I noticed a gap to light level vs AF light. Having updated my K1s to latest firmwares, I haven't noticed that issue.
12-28-2019, 02:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have heard of Metz software compatibity problems with the K-1. This might be the explanation to some of the issues
12-28-2019, 04:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have tried my K1 with the Pentax AF360FGZII. There is a slight delay in the AF light activating. I do not know if you would find the delay excessive.

With my Metz 52 AF-1 the AF-beam is not activated; the camera's built-in green light operates instead, irrespective of whether AF-BEAM is set to ON or OFF. I have a vague memory that this is standard behaviour for this combination.

12-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
With my Metz 52 AF-1 the AF-beam is not activated; the camera's built-in green light operates instead, irrespective of whether AF-BEAM is set to ON or OFF. I have a vague memory that this is standard behaviour for this combination.
That would make sense in that the K-1 does not light the AF assist on Pentax-brand flash other than the AF540FGZII and AF360FGZII. It would follow that the same would be true for older model third-party flash such as the OPs Metz 58 AF-1.

Steve
12-28-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have tried my K1 with the Pentax AF360FGZII. There is a slight delay in the AF light activating. I do not know if you would find the delay excessive.

Paul, do you mean that the AF light of the Pentax AF360FGII is turned on later compared to the K-1 internal AF light?

Fortunately, the K-1 internal AF light is not turned off when Metz flashes are being used :-)

But when using the Cactus V6/V6II transmitters you are lost in the dark: the K-1 disables the internal AF light and the Cactus AF light is always on (annoying for the model) or you have to completely turn it off :-( Therefore I'm looking for an AF light device...
12-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Paul, do you mean that the AF light of the Pentax AF360FGII is turned on later compared to the K-1 internal AF light?
No, I think it's much the same.

I did the latest firmware update on the Metz 52 AF-1 last night, but it made no difference.

12-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #8

Original Poster
No, I think it's much the same.

I did the latest firmware update on the Metz 52 AF-1 last night, but it made no difference.

Thanks for checken that!

I'm glad to hear that the AF light is working fine at least on the Pentax ...FGII flashes. (The official Pentax site over here is excluding the K-1 and K-1 II in respect of the AF light)...

By the way, I read that the AF light is white? Is this annoying in dark environments? Is it a grid or how does the light looks like?
12-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

Well, I guess if you are shooting a lot of events with low lighting you could also look into getting a Godox V1-P flash. They have a great modeling light that works well for focusing. I love mine.
12-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Dusel Quote
Well, I guess if you are shooting a lot of events with low lighting you could also look into getting a Godox V1-P flash. They have a great modeling light that works well for focusing. I love mine.
I like modeling lights for portrait shootings, but for events I don't want to be the one who is memorized by the people as the guy with the bright light on his camera who ruined the atmosphere :-D
12-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
By the way, I read that the AF light is white? Is this annoying in dark environments? Is it a grid or how does the light looks like?
I think all AF lights are annoying in dark environments, except maybe for invisible infrared ones.
12-28-2019, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Probably less annoying than the flash itself, though that may depend on just how dark it is.
12-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #13

honestly, if you're shooting in low light, unless you want some bokeh in those pictures, use an aperture setting that gives you say 1-1.5 meters hyperfocal distance and just use the flash/iso setting to set the picture.
12-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
honestly, if you're shooting in low light, unless you want some bokeh in those pictures, use an aperture setting that gives you say 1-1.5 meters hyperfocal distance and just use the flash/iso setting to set the picture.
In dark environments aperature settings of f1.4 to f1.8 is needed to reduce the ISO to an acceptable value. In addition to that a shallow depth of field if mostly wanted for event photography to focus on the main moment which the photographer wants to capture. I guess hyperfocal distance is more related to landscape photography in which the focal length is small and the f number is huge...
12-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In dark environments aperature settings of f1.4 to f1.8 is needed to reduce the ISO to an acceptable value. In addition to that a shallow depth of field if mostly wanted for event photography to focus on the main moment which the photographer wants to capture. I guess hyperfocal distance is more related to landscape photography in which the focal length is small and the f number is huge...
My first comment is that you are shooting flash and don't need wide aperture to assure a reasonably low ISO with the Metz 58. My second comment is that f/4.0 (or even f/5.6) is plenty wide for subject isolation* with the 24x36 format and will allow the bride's face, the leading aspects of her gown and the toast to all be in reasonable focus as well.

As for dealing with available darkness with AF, a request might be made to raise the house lights. If your camera can't "see", neither can the guests or the service staff. As suggested above, reverting to manual focus technique is always an option and worked quite well back in the days when events were shot on medium format non-AF cameras.

Steve

* Assuming an extremely dim venue, the contrast between the flash-lit subject and the background should provide adequate isolation all by itself, if indeed the camera will even capture any of the background.