Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2020, 07:55 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Joining the Ranks

After vascillating a couple of years I'm stepping up to join the ranks of K1 Mkll ownership, my new one will arrive today. I've been really happy with my Aps-c cameras over the years and plan on keeping one or the other from my K5 lls or k3 lls. I'm not sure which as yet I will be letting go. Outside of all the normal anticipation of having a full frame camera again, I am most excited having an articulating screen again, which I was used to with my old Olympus dslr gear. Much to learn again on this new one.

01-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on your new K-1! I have the original and it just seems to be perfect when I hold it in my hands. I definitely recommend the E book available here as there are so many capabilities to explore with your new camera. Of course, the forum members here have a great deal of institutionalized knowledge if you run into any problems.
01-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
After vascillating a couple of years I'm stepping up to join the ranks of K1 Mkll ownership, my new one will arrive today. I've been really happy with my Aps-c cameras over the years and plan on keeping one or the other from my K5 lls or k3 lls. I'm not sure which as yet I will be letting go. Outside of all the normal anticipation of having a full frame camera again, I am most excited having an articulating screen again, which I was used to with my old Olympus dslr gear. Much to learn again on this new one.
Congratulations. It's an amazing camera. The screen will surprise you. I always wanted a flippy screen and finally got a few with my Olympus DSLRs. Found I hardly used it. Got the K-1 and I use it often. Enjoy the new camera.
Thanks,
barondla
01-09-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Welcome from a Baltee-Moron. I have a Z and the K1 (upgraded). I have a nice lens stable, so let me know if you ever want to try something.

And....Go Ravens!

01-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you're going to really like it. Keep the K-3 II if you're only keeping one crop. You can use the crop mode of the K-1 to have the same pixel density as your K5 IIs, so I'd say it would be redundant. I go back and forth between my K-1 II and K-3 II depending on what i'm up to e.g. my K-3 II with the 55-300PLM walks about easier than my K-1 II with DFA 150-450. Great combo to have the options to fit the day. Enjoy!
01-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will like it. Got my K1 and APSc became something I pull out once in awhile so the cameras do not get lonely. Something about the images. Started with a K5. Got my first K1 in May 2016. Then a K1-II was added to the stable in April 2018. Awesome cameras. A computer upgrade may be needed too. Until my kids got me a gaming laptop from Prostar for Christmas 2018 I called my image processing time nappy time. The files can get pretty big.
01-09-2020, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Enjoy - I don't think you will be disappointed!
I went from a K-5 to a K-1 and it was huge jump in capability for me. As others have said the crop mode of the K-1 has similar performance to the K-5 but to be honest I have not even used my crop mode since my initial tests (most of my lenses were either FF or at least covered more than the APS-C circle - so I just keep the camera in FF and crop later if needed). The only case I would consider using crop mode is when I desperately need a higher frame rate but I have almost never done this).
The biggest surprises for me with getting the K-1 was:
1. The handling of the K-1 - probably depends on your hands but for me it is a perfect fit for my hands. Weight helps me steady it a bit better too.
2. Tilty screen. I'm probably on record on these forums saying that flip / tilt screens are more of a breakage liability. Well I have certainly changed my tune. The K-1 version is very solid and odd angles it can tilt to are surprisingly useful!
3. GPS. I pretty much dismissed this as a feature I don't need but when I'm traveling its been such a great feature to keep a record of where I took the photo! But then your K-3 II already has GPS.

Everything else was as I hoped they would be - although I have not used pixel shift like I thought I would.