Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

What made you decide to purchase the K-1 over the KP?

I was all set on getting the K-1 in the near future once the latest model came out and brought the prices down a bit on the original K-1 but I've recently discovered the most underrated camera of all time, the KP. I've been reading up on it as much as I can but there's not a lot of info out there, not even on Youtube.

I'd like to know what made you decide to get the K-1 over the KP. I'm torn between the two. In the older days (Nikon D700) a full frame offered way better ISO performance but in this day and age the smaller senors do a great job at high ISOs. I know that the K-1 has better bokeh over the KP, but when I travel I bring my FUJI GSW690II and shoot at f/16 so I don't need bokeh. I'm actually selling my medium format cameras because the cost of the film and developing and processing is adding up.

01-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have both cameras and I find they each fill a different need. When doing portraits I always take the K1 when out and about I take the KP I would not want to chose one over the other
01-19-2020, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In my case, I chose the K-1 because the sensor size matched my extensive FA lens collection (not that my DA lens collection is far behind it), the DR is better (though that hasn't been too much of an issue for me, anyway), the viewfinder is brighter and the KP didn't offer enough to make me want to give up my K-3. That said, if the KP had built-in GPS, I might have wavered, although I'd probably have waited for a decent interval after buying the K-1.
01-19-2020, 09:19 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
plenty of information here on the forums about any Pentax Camera

here is a side by side comparison of the K 3 vs. K P vs. K 1 vs K 3 II

Pentax K-3 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

there are links to the owners reviews of each camera and the in depth reviews as well

personally speaking I went from a K 5 II to a K 3 and added a K 3 II. I only got the KP because I got lucky and won one.

I have no interest in the full frame sensor of the K 1 or K 1 II

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-19-2020 at 10:47 PM.
01-19-2020, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't decide - I got both. Each one brings its particular strengths to the table.

For compactness, the KP makes a great combination with the DA Limiteds. My favourite ultra-wide lenses (the HD 10-17 Fisheye and the DA* 11-18) are at their best on a crop camera, and it gives my favourite ultra-telephotos (DA* 300 and DFA 150-450) more reach. The same applies to macro as well.

On the other hand, my old film-era lenses deserve to be used on the format for which they were designed, and my fast full frame glass shines best on the bigger sensor. The DFA 28-105, DFA 24-70 and DFA* 70-200 are better than their crop equivalents.
01-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was going to get a KP, but the feature set lacked some things I wanted in my next camera. I do a lot of time exposures and the KP's lack of a wireless remote port was a huge negative. Even my Q's have wireless remote capability. Also wanted my next camera to have gps/astro tracer. KP requires adding an external unit and having to share hotshoe with flash. Plus, take new KP body price and add gps unit and some kind of wireless remote and it was almost as much as an used K-1 body. I liked the size and weight of the KP but few people rate the grip and ergonomics as highly as the K-1. Also didn't want yet another battery size to deal with.

So the K-1 had all the features I wanted built in plus in crop mode the same resolution as the K-7 and K-01. Also thought it would be interesting to use the 31, 43, and 77 Limiteds in their natural field of view. I had FF lenses from 15 to 500 so that was a match for the crop 8 to 300 lenses for the other Pentax cameras.

Thanks,
barondla
01-19-2020, 10:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have a number of ASP-C bodies..a K10D, a Km and a K5. I wanted the full frame Pentax, the K1.

01-20-2020, 01:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pan Kleks Quote
What made you decide to purchase the K-1 over the KP?
If staying with Pentax, I'd recommend to get the Kp , simply because there are more modern Pentax lenses for the Kp than there are for the K1, especially primes lenses. I did a comparison of image sharpness between the DA limited primes on a K3 and my D-FA 28-105 on the K1, and the DA limited are clearly sharper. It's not that the K1 isn't a great camera, it's just that there are only a couple of lenses (D-FA*50 and D-FA*70-200) that really make the K1 shine.
01-20-2020, 02:02 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
there are only a couple of lenses (D-FA*50 and D-FA*70-200) that really make the K1 shine.
Yeah. The K-1 is worthless with "lesser" lenses. Why do we even bother?
01-20-2020, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

It's not that the K1 isn't a great camera, it's just that there are only a couple of lenses (D-FA*50 and D-FA*70-200) that really make the K1 shine.
Well, that's just part of the truth. There are plenty of legacy FF lenses available and many of them are great.
(Somehow you forgot about FA31/43/77...? Or are they not enough "modern" :-)?)

KP is not bad, but compared to my K-7 and K-3 it's pretty obvious that it's not the flagship. Anyway I bought it as a gift for my son (photography newbie) and he's happy with it.
01-20-2020, 03:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Yeah. The K-1 is worthless with "lesser" lenses. Why do we even bother?
Sounds like you are being emotional. I checked out the lens reviews from here, comparing test chart image from DA ltd lenses on K3 with D-FA 28-105 on K1, and the DA ltd on K3 give significantly sharper edges / corners than DFA28-105 on a K1.
01-20-2020, 04:15 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you are being emotional. I checked out the lens reviews from here, comparing test chart image from DA ltd lenses on K3 with D-FA 28-105 on K1, and the DA ltd on K3 give significantly sharper edges / corners than DFA28-105 on a K1.
Art is emotional. I don't often consider corner sharpness to be particularly important.

I like pictures. I enjoy making them. I can't remember the last time I looked at a test chart.

The K-1 brings the best out of many of my lenses. I still love the KP with my DA Limiteds though
01-20-2020, 04:17 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both of them and they just supplement each other
01-20-2020, 04:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought a K-1 because it was ~100€ more than a KP, and it has more buttons* and a brighter viewfinder. The only lens I had to substitute was the Tamron 17-50/2.8 so no biggie.

Regarding modern lenses and whatnot: I like my test charts printed B0 size, in screaming pink. I can pass them off as Kandinsky works
It is also disingenious to take a 3.75x zoom and compare it with prime lenses that, used, cost (for the 21/40/70 trio) about as much as a new D FA 28-105.

*I use most of the dials and buttons and I like fiddling in general
01-20-2020, 04:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

To answer your question: the K-1 was released first. I have both and like them both. Truth be told that for my use I probably could have just gotten the KP and would be quite happy with it. I just use the KP more, especially when travelling, because i can carry more kit for the same or less weight. They both produce great images and the K-1 is definitely better in that regard, but for my use/abilites the KP delivers what I want. Mostly I use the K-1 for narrow depth of field shots and old glass.

Last edited by wstruth; 01-20-2020 at 12:06 PM.