Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
SR badge fell off

Just noticed the other day that the little SR badge on the front of my K1-II disappeared. Has it happened to anyone else? I use heavy lenses on the K1 with a grip and sometimes when holding it, my fingers end up right on the spot where that badge used to be. I guess after some time, it just fell off; never to be seen again...

01-21-2020, 12:35 PM - 6 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
maybe you shook it too hard?
01-21-2020, 12:40 PM   #3

Is that an upgraded K-1 to K-1ii? On the upgrades the SR badge is replaced with a K-1ii one. Another member reported the replaced badge falling off.
01-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
maybe you shook it too hard?
Nah, I think the pressure from my fingers rubbing against the badge just loosened the adhesive to the point it fell off. There's a flat area on the rubberized portion of the grip where it used to be. It still had remnants of a thin double-sided adhesive stuck to it where the badge should have been.

No big deal really; just wanted to point out to the forum that they might come off unexpectedly.

---------- Post added 01-21-20 at 07:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Is that an upgraded K-1 to K-1ii? On the upgrades the SR badge is replaced with a K-1ii one. Another member reported the replaced badge falling off.
No, this is a genuine K1 Mark II.

01-21-2020, 03:00 PM - 6 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will have to be extra careful to everything steady now that you no longer have shake reduction.
01-21-2020, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I worked in manufacturing for 35 years. Adhesives is a very deep and broad subject, with many different chemistries. There are weak adhesives (think post-it notes and painter's tape), strong aggressive adhesives used to hold cars and buildings together, and everything in-between. I've lost track of how many peel-and-stick consumer products I've been disappointed with. Perhaps Pentax unwittingly bought the SR badge labels from a vendor using a low quality adhesive. There are certainly some adhesives that would be stronger than the badge material itself, but of course they cost more.
01-22-2020, 01:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I lost mine from K-50. Found it, used cyanoacrylate adhesive to fix it in place - has been good for the last 2 years.
01-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #8

Probably a QA issue - bad/different batch of adhesive, contamination on the area for the adhesive to bind to, or insufficient pressure on the badge to get it to bind.

01-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amstel78 Quote
No, this is a genuine K1 Mark II.
Dang. You mean my upgraded K-1 isn't genuine?.....
01-22-2020, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Dang. You mean my upgraded K-1 isn't genuine?.....
Nope. It's an imposter.

---------- Post added 01-23-20 at 01:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris_K Quote
I lost mine from K-50. Found it, used cyanoacrylate adhesive to fix it in place - has been good for the last 2 years.
I would have done the same if I could find it. But it either fell off outside or the cat ate it.
01-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I worked in manufacturing for 35 years. Adhesives is a very deep and broad subject, with many different chemistries. There are weak adhesives (think post-it notes and painter's tape), strong aggressive adhesives used to hold cars and buildings together, and everything in-between. I've lost track of how many peel-and-stick consumer products I've been disappointed with. Perhaps Pentax unwittingly bought the SR badge labels from a vendor using a low quality adhesive. There are certainly some adhesives that would be stronger than the badge material itself, but of course they cost more.
Sometimes itís just sketchy design decisions. The Mode dial on the K-01 - a very nice bit of milled aluminum - was attached to the selector shaft with a dab of rubber cement. (OEM spares run $45 on e Bay).
01-23-2020, 01:04 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Consider it as a battle scar. We get scars over time so do cameras. Nothing lasts forever. Keep shooting until it completely falls apart and disintegrates.