Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2020, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I buy my equipment to use it, and don't get too sentimental about the occasional graze. Bodies especially depreciate really quickly, so keeping them pristine for a potential resale seems to be a little precious.
As a shooter and collector of Leica Camera bodies as well, I concur with Sandy on this. The black paint on Leicas wears off if you use them long enough, and as it wears, creates a very interesting patina over the brass/magnesium of the Leica body. My K-3ii has been through some scrapes, but as it is a Pentax is a warrior. Cosmetic damage to me is no different than the scars, age spots and wear us Humans go through. However, unlike humans, a well-used camera demonstrates the life it was created for. Pentaxes, unlike other 'disposable' cameras are built well and are durable. The tumble you and your camera had, may have cracked and damaged a lesser brand. That's why when I decided on a camera system, I chose build and quality over other might I say, frivolous features. Neither Pentax nor Leica represent the total 'state of technological art', But I can say that after dropping, stepping on, rough travel handling, etc., these bodies take the proverbial "licking" and keep on "ticking". Even my KP has been roughed up and continues to perform like the mini-K-1 it specs out to be.

Remember, aesthetics doesn't mean as much as the lengths one goes to find that one special frozen moment in time. Acrylic paint will probably work well if you must re-touch. Anyway, keep us posted on what you decide to employ.

01-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Am I the only one here who likes to sit their gear on a shelf and then stare at it for hours?
01-27-2020, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Am I the only one here who likes to sit their gear on a shelf and then stare at it for hours?
No I do that too. I created a ersatz shrine of all my cameras, past, present and future as I simply enjoy the concept of recording individual history I of life and experiences. I will often, if bored, take my various bodies, change out the glass and take still life photos of the various objects d' art in my home. I like experimenting in manual, step down, DOF and bokeh of familiar scenerios. My family pokes fun at me for the obsession, but I tell them, I don't make fun of their hobbies, don't scoff at mine.

I know you made the comment 'tongue in cheek', but I get it.....
01-27-2020, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I know you made the comment 'tongue in cheek', but I get it.....
Thanks. I don't have mine on display, but I used to. I still occasionally get the urge to find a glass cabinet of sorts and clear some space somewhere near a comfy couch on which I could sit and behold the beauty of electromechanical photo-optical engineering of the present and past 50 years. I blame my grandparents because when I was a wee lad with way more friends than I have today (but no liquor), they gave me some beatup and probably broken cameras to play with. One was a TLR with a waist level finder which I thought was some kind of magical. Anyway, now on days when everyone else are out dining together, hanging with friends or extended family, or chasing tail at the local bar, I'm at home in my sweat pants (if you're lucky) and a T-shirt staring at my Pentax collection wondering when Sandy will be by with that wine he promised me (but secretly content to just sit there and stare and wait).

Maybe Adam should start up a "Losers" subforum and sequester me there.

01-27-2020, 02:28 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm at home in my sweat pants (if you're lucky)
The alternative doesn't bear thinking about...
01-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks. I don't have mine on display, but I used to. I still occasionally get the urge to find a glass cabinet of sorts and clear some space somewhere near a comfy couch on which I could sit and behold the beauty of electromechanical photo-optical engineering of the present and past 50 years. I blame my grandparents because when I was a wee lad with way more friends than I have today (but no liquor), they gave me some beatup and probably broken cameras to play with. One was a TLR with a waist level finder which I thought was some kind of magical. Anyway, now on days when everyone else are out dining together, hanging with friends or extended family, or chasing tail at the local bar, I'm at home in my sweat pants (if you're lucky) and a T-shirt staring at my Pentax collection wondering when Sandy will be by with that wine he promised me (but secretly content to just sit there and stare and wait).

Maybe Adam should start up a "Losers" subforum and sequester me there.
ROFL....Hahah excellent. My grandfather was a 'old school' techie and as a wee lad in the 1960's he was fond of HiFi and camera equipment. He taught me how to take pictures when I was 7 years old using an old Rolleiflex and later, Leicas, Nikons and even a Minox. I was 8 years old and loved his developing "room", nothing more than a re-purposed old closet, but it was exciting for me to watch the pictures appear on the paper and how he meticulously clipped them to a close line under the infra red light.
I only wish my own children would have picked up the camera "bug" because it would have been enjoyable teaching them how to shoot and develop film photos. Even today with post-processing, there is an enjoyment of the finished product.

In context, therefore. you are not a "loser" and you may only be banished to utilize the entire forum....Cheers.