Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 body paint recommendation

I went outside with my K-1 today and one of my boys found something interesting. The short detour to check it out required a short but steep climb which I failed to negotiate, resulting in a knock on the left rear of my camera and a one inch shallow cut on my hand. The hand will heal, but the camera had a couple of short gouges in the metallic frame that holds the LCD, and a couple of short scratches on the LCD itself. It all still works fine.

I've already sanded out the gouges on the metal which took less than a couple of minutes with fine-grain sandpaper. The surface is smooth, but obviously not black anymore. My question is: What kind of paint do you recommend to cover the defect? I'm half tempted to find a color like fire-engine red because (a) it's a Pentax and therefore should have come with that option anyway, and (b) to remind myself not to fall over while holding my camera.

I've attached a couple of photos I took after-the-fact. K-1 mII, M50f1.7 @ 2.8. I might have spent some more time except I was mad at myself and cussing like a sailor.

Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-1 mII  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-1 mII  Photo 
01-26-2020, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear that Jason, what kind of snake is that?
01-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
He's a speckled king snake, which are fairly common around here although not in January! They eat other snakes.
01-26-2020, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

You've already sanded it now, but personally I'd just leave gouges like that as 'battle scars'. Adds a bit of toughness and adventure character to the camera.

01-26-2020, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a beautiful snake

Sorry to hear about the scratches / gouges to your camera.

I use a satin black water-based acrylic model paint for touch up, which I apply sparingly with the point of a wooden cocktail stick. Unless the scratch is especially deep, you can fill it with this paint, and it will dry very slightly below or level with the edges. I touched up a couple of small dings on my K-3 some time ago and they're only detectable if you look very closely or know exactly where to look. More importantly, the alloy casing is protected from the elements.

If it would help, I can check my cupboards tomorrow and find the exact brand and colour of paint I used. It's not a 100% match, but as good as I think might be possible for touch-up purposes...
01-26-2020, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Paint sticks from an art supply store.

Last edited by jlstrawman; 01-26-2020 at 05:28 PM.
01-26-2020, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Fill them with gold. Kintsugi: the art of precious scars | LifeGate
"Japanese practice that highlights and enhances the breaks thus adding value to the broken object. It’s called kintsugi (金継ぎ), or kintsukuroi (金繕い), literally golden (“kin”) and repair (“tsugi”)."

Cool snake, sorry about your hand and camera.

01-26-2020, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You've already sanded it now,
Well, I suppose I'll fall down again pretty soon, so next time I'll leave them in. I was just able to feel them all too easy, and I knew their presence was going to bother me a whole lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If it would help, I can check my cupboards tomorrow
If you did that, I'll make sure to get Adam to give you another gold star under your name!

[edit] Upon further review, it occurs to me that my son-in-law is swimming in acrylics as he paints tiny models (game characters, etc), so he'll for sure be able to fix me up... however your gold star has still been earned. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Paint sticks from an art supply store.
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Fill them with gold.

Both fantastic suggestions, thanks!

Last edited by jcdoss; 01-26-2020 at 07:20 PM.
01-26-2020, 07:27 PM - 3 Likes   #9

You could try Birchwood Casey Super Black in a touch up pen. Comes in gloss, semi or flat black. Used mainly for touching up firearms. Pretty tough and does a good job filling scratches. I've gotten good results with this on many of my photo equipment.
01-26-2020, 07:31 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I buy my equipment to use it, and don't get too sentimental about the occasional graze. Bodies especially depreciate really quickly, so keeping them pristine for a potential resale seems to be a little precious.

My 645Z looks like it had a hard life before it came to me, but that doesn't in any way detract from the images it makes.
My K 28/2.0 is also no beauty queen either, but I wouldn't swap it for the world. I have touched up a couple of the worst bruises with a black Sharpie though
01-26-2020, 07:43 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I buy my equipment to use it, and don't get too sentimental about the occasional graze. Bodies especially depreciate really quickly, so keeping them pristine for a potential resale seems to be a little precious.
All of this is true, however I don't have any friends except my dogs and the guy at the liquor store, so let me fix my camera. ;-)
01-26-2020, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I don't have any friends except my dogs and the guy at the liquor store
Aw shucks Jason. I'm your friend, aren't I?
01-27-2020, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I went outside with my K-1 today and one of my boys found something interesting. The short detour to check it out required a short but steep climb which I failed to negotiate, resulting in a knock on the left rear of my camera and a one inch shallow cut on my hand. The hand will heal, but the camera had a couple of short gouges in the metallic frame that holds the LCD, and a couple of short scratches on the LCD itself. It all still works fine.

I've already sanded out the gouges on the metal which took less than a couple of minutes with fine-grain sandpaper. The surface is smooth, but obviously not black anymore. My question is: What kind of paint do you recommend to cover the defect? I'm half tempted to find a color like fire-engine red because (a) it's a Pentax and therefore should have come with that option anyway, and (b) to remind myself not to fall over while holding my camera.

I've attached a couple of photos I took after-the-fact. K-1 mII, M50f1.7 @ 2.8. I might have spent some more time except I was mad at myself and cussing like a sailor.

Thanks!
Rustolium in a spray can. Use fine line tape to tape it off.
01-27-2020, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

JCDOSS - sorry for your fall and injury.
On a side note,

I have had the good fortune of seeing one of Jim Marshall's main, heavily used and bruised Leicas under glass.

See:
Your Mark Story: Jim Marshall | Made In Wetzlar
I have a K2DMD that looks about as bad, but is fully restored/refurbished. If there is not already a photo gallery here at forum, suggest someone creates one that "showcases" battered or heavily worn Pentax bodies and lenses that are still working and providing useful service. Of course, hard to not miss the brassing of many, vintage film cameras and lenses. Just a thought, since Pentax is the camera of choice for great and rugged adventures...

Last edited by mtgmansf; 01-27-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: addition...
01-27-2020, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Battle scars enamel paint? colour of the body?