Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
02-02-2020, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
I've seen various comments alluding to streaking with the wet method, but never actually read any that encountered it. How about you, any streaking???

Streaking may occur, in my experience,
  • when cleaning fluids from lesser brands are used (less than optimal formula)
  • when excessive amounts of cleaning fluid are used (disregard of instructions)
  • when too much time elapses before the liquid-treated swab is actually applied to the sensor (liquid already beginning to dry out)

None of the streaking I ever encountered was too stubborn to remove with a little perseverance (and a sufficient supply of swabs). Performing a wet clean is a skill, but one that can be learnt. And once you have learnt it, you no longer need to rely on other people to do the job for you. People who may care a lot less about your gear than you yourself do.

Admittedly, it's not exactly for the faint-hearted, but once you get the knack of it, it is kind of liberating.

02-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #17

Original Poster
Well for better or worse I ordered the O-IK 1 today. Sometime in the next few days I need to get by the liquor store for liquid courage, and I should be all set!
02-05-2020, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well for better or worse I ordered the O-IK 1 today. Sometime in the next few days I need to get by the liquor store for liquid courage, and I should be all set!
Good luck. Give it a good blow with a rocket blower first to get the loose stuff off, then use the magic stick. Slow and steady does the trick.
02-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

The Pixel Sweeper

02-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The Pixel Sweeper
That site appears to give a comprehensive approach to sensor cleaning. Thanks for the link.

My approach involves several elements:
  • Take the usual test shots to check the sensor -- small aperture, clear blue sky or smooth, clean white foam board panel. Pump up the contrast in my post-processing program.
  • Use a small spotlight lamp to inspect and see the sensor
  • Try first the Pentax O-ICK1 wand.
  • For stubborn particles, do a wet cleaning using Eclipse fluid and VSGO sensor cleaning swab for APS-C sensors.
  • As mentioned by others, using just the right amount of cleaning fluid on the swab is critical.
  • I have learned to NOT use a non-filtered air blower on the sensor -- several uses blew more dust onto the sensor.
- Craig
06-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #21

Original Poster
Okay what next!!!

Since the original post I've tried the blower, the Goo stick, the wet cleaning kit and pixel mapping. I still have about 4 annoying spots that just won't go. Even bought a sensor scope. With it I can see them on the sensor, but can't tell if they are actually dust or grease/oil/other?????

I really hate to drive 4 hrs to get it cleaned, and not a fan of shipping. Anyone have any ideas?
06-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As with so many things in life, it may take a little practice and perseverance until you succeed in removing the remaining spots. The most promising method to do that is probably repeating the wet cleaning efforts with the right materials and technique (see posts above). In my experience, one try doesn't always do the trick.

(You do seem a little exasperated by now, however, and since humans tend to do more harm than good in such moods, you may either want to give yourself a little time before you retry or let someone else do the job who hopefully brings both the skill and fresh patience to the table.)

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 06-29-2020 at 11:19 AM.
06-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
As with so many things in life, it may take a little practice and perseverance until you succeed in removing the remaining spots. The most promising method to do that is probably repeating the wet cleaning efforts with the right materials and technique (see posts above). In my experience, one try doesn't always do the trick.

(You do seem a little exasperated by now, however, and since humans tend to do more harm than good in such moods, you may either want to give yourself a little time before you retry or let someone else do the job who hopefully brings both the skill and fresh patience to the table.)
I would have already given the task over to a repair shop, as I've already spent the cost of cleaning on supplies. Unfortunately the nearest is 4hrs round trip away (if I'm lucky). I'm not overly squeamish about the cleaning, and after countless videos, multiple attempts with the Goo stick, and at least 4 attempts with the wet clean (kit recommended above), I just can't seem to budge the last few. I did watch a video recently with a guy using a round sterile pad on the end of a stick, and the moisture from his breath to clean tough spots. He was pretty vigorously scrubbing away. It would be my luck I'd sneeze!!! LOL I heard there was a shop in Atlanta that used q tips and alcohol, which I'm about to try.

I have a sensor scope, which I can see the remaining spots in question, but I can't tell exactly what they are. I would think dust would have been dislodged a long time ago. The other thing is I have no way of knowing if they've been there since the beginning or not. It might be one of those "once you see it you can't unsee it things". All the other spots cleaned up nicely, just the last 4 that are giving me a fit.
06-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have already given the task over to a repair shop, as I've already spent the cost of cleaning on supplies. Unfortunately the nearest is 4hrs round trip away (if I'm lucky). I'm not overly squeamish about the cleaning, and after countless videos, multiple attempts with the Goo stick, and at least 4 attempts with the wet clean (kit recommended above), I just can't seem to budge the last few. I did watch a video recently with a guy using a round sterile pad on the end of a stick, and the moisture from his breath to clean tough spots. He was pretty vigorously scrubbing away. It would be my luck I'd sneeze!!! LOL I heard there was a shop in Atlanta that used q tips and alcohol, which I'm about to try.I have a sensor scope, which I can see the remaining spots in question, but I can't tell exactly what they are. I would think dust would have been dislodged a long time ago. The other thing is I have no way of knowing if they've been there since the beginning or not. It might be one of those "once you see it you can't unsee it things". All the other spots cleaned up nicely, just the last 4 that are giving me a fit.

Didn't mean to sound patronizing or anything. Nastiness remaining on the sensor is no fun at all. The moisture from the human breath is probably the least suitable cleaning fluid (acidity? oily components?). At any rate, you can also do too much in these sensitive matters, I should think. Wish you all success!
06-29-2020, 01:47 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Didn't mean to sound patronizing or anything. Nastiness remaining on the sensor is no fun at all. The moisture from the human breath is probably the least suitable cleaning fluid (acidity? oily components?). At any rate, you can also do too much in these sensitive matters, I should think. Wish you all success!
No I didn't think you were at all, I am exasperated dealing with it over the last few months. I try cleaning, then I try to live with it. In probably 70% or better of my shots I never even see them, and in the other 30% it's easily fixed, it's just annoying more then anything. The camera was bought new a little over two years ago, so now I have this little nagging thought in my head wondering if it's always been there, and I just didn't notice it before.
06-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really like this product! For $20, you get 12 swabs + cleaner. I purchased it back in 2018, and I still have 7 of them. It's perfectly cut to fit the full-frame sensor (they have other sizes too), and its perfectly cleaned it each time. Works for my K-1i anyways. It's a pretty good deal!

amazon.com : VSGO DDR24 DSLR or SLR Camera Full-Frame Sensor Cleaning Kit (12 X 24mm Sensor Cleaning Swabs + 15ml Sensor Cleaner) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
06-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
I really like this product! For $20, you get 12 swabs + cleaner. I purchased it back in 2018, and I still have 7 of them. It's perfectly cut to fit the full-frame sensor (they have other sizes too), and its perfectly cleaned it each time. Works for my K-1i anyways. It's a pretty good deal!

amazon.com : VSGO DDR24 DSLR or SLR Camera Full-Frame Sensor Cleaning Kit (12 X 24mm Sensor Cleaning Swabs + 15ml Sensor Cleaner) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Yup that's exactly what I have, except I'm down to only 5 swabs.
06-30-2020, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I'm not an expert but I know that different kinds of stains respond to different kind of solvents.
Have you tried to find a company that offers different kinds of cleaning liquids that target specific types of contamination?

I've read some of the reviews on Amazon for the product you have and it seems you are not alone in being unable to get rid of certain stains. There is a claim that the solution does not contain any alcohol, so trying something containing isopropyl alcohol might give a better result.

Last edited by Class A; 06-30-2020 at 02:19 AM.
07-04-2020, 12:16 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
offers different kinds of cleaning liquids that target specific types of contamination?
I have started to use LensPen for more of the hard stains on the sensor. For the longest time was hesitant to use one but now I never used a wet system on any of my camera bodies.

It is worth noting that I feel that the surface of the sensor is less tacky (prone) contaminates sticking to the sensor. When I was photographing sensor after they where cleaned using the Pen I never had any dust that would take a wet cleaning to remove most of the time a quick blow or a brush at the worst.

Even when the sensor was left out overnight all I really needed to use was the blower for most of the contaminates. Before most of the time i needed several passes with a wet system before photographing them.

When cleaning the sensor it was dead skin flakes that was the hardest to clean off as they are flat and contain some oil using a wetwipe seemed to adherer them to surface of the sensor
07-10-2020, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
Update: finally found a shop that could clean the sensor. They tried the the same wet cleaning method I did first with no success. Next they used this ROR Residual Oil Remover (2.0 oz) VV-ROR2 B&H Photo Video one swipe with a swab, spots gone. I also now have a bottle of this in my cleaning kit.