Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2020, 09:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I agree. I don't exactly know what 450 E's is worth in dollars, but if you can get it not only repaired but cleaned, calibrated, adjusted, and/or reconditioned, you'll probably get it back better than new. And a good, used one is worth about a thousand to twelve-hundred bucks right now, I think. I'd say it's worth fixing.

A side point: I don't know anything about the law where you live, but in the U.S., a "warranty" is a promise made at the time of sale that the product will conform to certain standards or possess certain characteristics. That representation that the thing would give you 300,000 actuations WAS a warranty. That business about fixing broken stuff for free is a "limitation of remedies", which may be included in a manufacturer's warranty, but is not itself a warranty. If they said you'd get 300,000 actuations of the shutter and you got less before it gave up, that's a breach of warranty, regardless of any time limit other than the applicable statute of limitations (where I live, that's four years). I'd demand that they fix it for free, regardless of their "limited warranty", because they promised you a certain number and you didn't get it. (Since it was probably an unintentional misrepresentation, you can't claim "fraud", though it may be "constructive fraud" which would justify "rescission", the right to get your money back for the purchase price.)
Thank you for explanation. Worth to try I think. 😊

02-24-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Pentax K-1 repair for 450 euro - does it worth to do?
That is a question that only you know the answer to, though the PF forum members will likely be very generous with their semi-informed opinions.

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
Does anyone had similar problems?
If you mean angst over whether to repair or replace, threads like this are very common here. If you mean your specific failure...I am sure you will get lots of advice there too.

Steve
02-24-2020, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I agree. I don't exactly know what 450 E's is worth in dollars
Currently, near parity ($1.09 for 1 euro). Given the price of a replacement K-1ii in the European market, 450 euro to repair sounds like a good idea to me.

Steve
02-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #19

Have you asked how much at the same time the repair and the conversion from k-1 to k-1II ?

All the best,

Ben

02-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Currently, near parity ($1.09 for 1 euro). Given the price of a replacement K-1ii in the European market, 450 euro to repair sounds like a good idea to me.

Steve
thank you, Steve, for opinions. I will consider that in final decision

---------- Post added 02-24-20 at 09:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben-G Quote
Have you asked how much at the same time the repair and the conversion from k-1 to k-1II ?

All the best,

Ben
No, Ben, I did not. As I know, the replacement of main board is done for cameras with less than 20000 shutter actuations. And it costs about 500 dollars or euros. I do not find any reasonable cause to change something what works perfectly
02-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben-G Quote

All the best,

Ben
The last I had herd here on the forums was that there were no more conversion parts out in the wild. Perhaps only replacement/repair parts from Ricoh.
I love my K-1 so much I would spend the money for the repair. I would see about adding cleaning, calibration etc as mentioned above.
02-25-2020, 01:17 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
The last I had herd here on the forums was that there were no more conversion parts out in the wild. Perhaps only replacement/repair parts from Ricoh.
I love my K-1 so much I would spend the money for the repair. I would see about adding cleaning, calibration etc as mentioned above.
Thank you for opinion 😊

02-25-2020, 03:57 AM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As others have said, given the cost of a new camera I would probably just fix this one. You aren't even going to get a well used camera for 450 euros and there is no guarantee if you got a used camera that it would have been taken care of as well as you have taken care of this one. My experience overall with the K-1 and K-1 II is that they are pretty durable cameras and so fixing this hopefully will give you several more years of use.

The reality is that if you fixed it and then decided to sell it immediately afterward, you could get more for your repaired camera than the repair cost. That probably makes it worth doing, even if you didn't keep the camera long term.
02-25-2020, 04:45 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I also had problems with my K-1 and had the shutter and mirror box assemply replaced for 450€. I don't know exactly which are the replaced parts, but the representative here told me that the whole box with the mirror and the shutter were replaced. My K-1 had about 136000 clicks and I was thinking about the same thing like you... if it worthed servicing it. I went for it as I thought I couldn't find a second hand K-1 for the same money (I need double) and also I have taken good care of my camera and I know that! The representative also told me that after the repair you will essentially have a "new K-1"

The problem was that the repair (in France) took over three months! After inspection and me giving the green light to go on with the reapir, they were waiting for the spare parts from Japan... Anyway I now have it back and hopefully it will serve me well for at least the same period and hopefully I will reach the 300.000 actuations without further problems! My K-1 was also from the batch that had the mode selector problem (replaced and works fine from then on).

I was quite unhappy with the malfunction of my beloved K-1 but I know that I'm from those who probably shoot bursts in continuous high for the 90+% of the time. The stress for the shutter mechanisms is really high under these circumstances. When I spoke to the guys from the shop and described what my problems were, they asked me whether I shoot mostly long bursts, as this is the most common damage to cameras from other brands too. In fact they told me many stories (and showed me proofs too) about Canonikon high end models that had similar problems/repairs from heavy use and a lot of them at shutter counts less than 100.000.

I would fix it again If you ask me or if I were at your position.

Last edited by redpit; 02-25-2020 at 04:47 AM. Reason: typo
02-25-2020, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I also had problems with my K-1 and had the shutter and mirror box assemply replaced for 450€. I don't know exactly which are the replaced parts, but the representative here told me that the whole box with the mirror and the shutter were replaced. My K-1 had about 136000 clicks and I was thinking about the same thing like you... if it worthed servicing it. I went for it as I thought I couldn't find a second hand K-1 for the same money (I need double) and also I have taken good care of my camera and I know that! The representative also told me that after the repair you will essentially have a "new K-1"

The problem was that the repair (in France) took over three months! After inspection and me giving the green light to go on with the reapir, they were waiting for the spare parts from Japan... Anyway I now have it back and hopefully it will serve me well for at least the same period and hopefully I will reach the 300.000 actuations without further problems! My K-1 was also from the batch that had the mode selector problem (replaced and works fine from then on).

I was quite unhappy with the malfunction of my beloved K-1 but I know that I'm from those who probably shoot bursts in continuous high for the 90+% of the time. The stress for the shutter mechanisms is really high under these circumstances. When I spoke to the guys from the shop and described what my problems were, they asked me whether I shoot mostly long bursts, as this is the most common damage to cameras from other brands too. In fact they told me many stories (and showed me proofs too) about Canonikon high end models that had similar problems/repairs from heavy use and a lot of them at shutter counts less than 100.000.

I would fix it again If you ask me or if I were at your position.
Thank you for your interesting story and time. It seems I will fix my camera 😊

---------- Post added 02-25-20 at 03:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
As others have said, given the cost of a new camera I would probably just fix this one. You aren't even going to get a well used camera for 450 euros and there is no guarantee if you got a used camera that it would have been taken care of as well as you have taken care of this one. My experience overall with the K-1 and K-1 II is that they are pretty durable cameras and so fixing this hopefully will give you several more years of use.

The reality is that if you fixed it and then decided to sell it immediately afterward, you could get more for your repaired camera than the repair cost. That probably makes it worth doing, even if you didn't keep the camera long term.
Thank you. Your arguments seems right.