Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2020, 03:48 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What the others have said is true. You can shoot your DA lenses in full frame mode and then crop after the fact. I don't know that you would gain much from that. With some of the DA limiteds like the 40 and the 70, you can get pretty decent performance in all but the corners in this fashion.

I would figure out a standard lens that you can use with a K-1 as you really have telephoto and macro covered. Reasonably priced options would be the DFA 28-105 and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I think with either of those lenses you would be pretty satisfied in combination with what you already have. Then, maybe pick up a used fast 50 and you're set.

03-02-2020, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

And don't forget some of the old in good condition Pentax SMC-F lens can be found inexpensive and work superb on the K1, like the F 35-70mm macro or F 70-210mm.
03-02-2020, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't forget that the Sigma 150-500 DG must have been modified by Sigma before using it on the K-1.
Else you will scratch and freeze your body...
03-02-2020, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #19
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my K-1 but with your lenses I'd rather stick with APS-C. FF is no magic bullet that automatically makes your images better. It can be better at certain things provided you have the right lenses and know what you're doing. But it also has some drawbacks that may or may not be a problem.

Attacking this from a different angle: Is there anything in particular that you feel the K-3 II stops you from doing?

Last edited by savoche; 03-02-2020 at 11:36 AM.
03-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #20

None of my Sigma lenses has had to be modified to work on, or not to scratch my K1ii, including my 70-200 EX 1:2.8 II Macro HSM.
03-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #21
Forum Member

Yes, no problems here with my Sigma lenses: 35/1.4 Art, 50/1.4 EX, 85/1.4 EX, 70/2.8 EX Macro, 180/3.5 Macro, 70-300 DG OS
03-03-2020, 02:07 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
None of my Sigma lenses has had to be modified to work on, or not to scratch my K1ii, including my 70-200 EX 1:2.8 II Macro HSM.
QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote
Yes, no problems here with my Sigma lenses: 35/1.4 Art, 50/1.4 EX, 85/1.4 EX, 70/2.8 EX Macro, 180/3.5 Macro, 70-300 DG OS
I didn't say that Sigma lenses need to be modified,
I said that the Sigma DG 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO HSM needs to be modified by Sigma to be used on a K-1...

03-03-2020, 03:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peso54 Quote
Using APS-C lenses with a FF sensor
There is no benefit to buy a full frame camera when using apsc lenses. Apsc lenses are for apsc cameras and full frame lenses are for full frame cameras.
03-03-2020, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There is no benefit to buy a full frame camera when using apsc lenses. Apsc lenses are for apsc cameras and full frame lenses are for full frame cameras.
Strong comment, easily disproven. Take any APS-C lens with a near full-frame circle and you get a greater field of view on the K-1. You may need to crop but you still get excellent results from existing equipment until the opportunity to upgrade appears.

Of course the objective should be to eventually get a complete full frame system.
03-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Austro-Diesel Quote
Well, the Sigma 150-500 DG and the Pentax D-FA 100 Macro will work fine. The DA 1.4x Rear converter may be useful with some limitations. The rest of the gang will not be meaningful usable in FF mode, as far as I know.

Go for a K-1 II (or a used K-1, there is no significiant difference) with a D-FA 28-105. And keep looking for a new or used Sigma 70-300 DG OS (no other one, no APO, no Tamron, only the Sigma DG OS), this tele zoom is quite good for the few bucks to pay, you may find a new one for about 170 Euros at eBay.
Remember the Sigma 150-500 needs a mount update and firmware update (free from Sigma) to work with the K1. Without the mount update you will scratch the K1.
Sorry, Looks like someone beat meet to the punch on this.

Last edited by dwalt; 03-03-2020 at 01:47 PM. Reason: didn't notice someone posted info earlier in thread.
03-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Strong comment, easily disproven. Take any APS-C lens with a near full-frame circle and you get a greater field of view on the K-1. You may need to crop but you still get excellent results from existing equipment until the opportunity to upgrade appears.

Of course the objective should be to eventually get a complete full frame system.
cheapest way to get a full frame sensor system is to buy a Pentax 35mm SLR camera body

of course, there is the cost of film, processing and scanning
03-04-2020, 02:11 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
Take any APS-C lens with a near full-frame circle and you get a greater field of view on the K-1
you get soft corners, which is ok to post images on the web, but certainly not up to full frame image quality standards. You can also use apsc lenses on a medium format camera with some sort of adapter. There is a reason why Ricoh classified lenses good for full frame and not good for full frame. I was recently at a camera shop , we discussed a medium format kit, the guy told me "you can print 2 meters wide with a smartphone image, you don't need medium format". His statement is correct, you can print even 10 meters wide from a smartphone image, it's not illegal.
03-04-2020, 02:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

you get soft corners, which is ok to post images on the web, but certainly not up to full frame image quality standards. You can also use apsc lenses on a medium format camera with some sort of adapter. There is a reason why Ricoh classified lenses good for full frame and not good for full frame. I was recently at a camera shop , we discussed a medium format kit, the guy told me "you can print 2 meters wide with a smartphone image, you don't need medium format". His statement is correct, you can print even 10 meters wide from a smartphone image, it's not illegal.
My point was more about someone transitioning to FF over time. There aren't many drawbacks. What you gain from using crop lenses is greater FoV and DoF from images. To get similar stuff on crop sensors would require faster lenses. It's really about getting a few extra percent detail here or there and ultimately it's not necessary to upgrade unless DoF is your goal.
03-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

With all due respect, that is not right. I take my DA 55-300 on long trips just to save weight?

The other day in Algonquin...

How are these soft corners in anyway objectionable or unprintable?
This being a 26 MP file. Cropped the same way on APS-c it would be 15 MP. The benefits to using APS-c lenses on FF are absolutely undeniable. And in situations like this, using the same crop you'd use on APS_c will give you 50% more resolution. You may need to be bit more judicious in the type of image you take, but APS-c lenses can be quite valuable on FF.

You may have to be a bit more selective in where you use the lens for what type of image, but there are scenarios where an APS-c lens makes more sense. The lens doesn't care what forms it's on, I don't either as long as it does what I want. And there are many scenarios where it does exactly what I want.

Any photo that uses a subject away from the edge and uses out of focus backgrounds to achieve subject isolation can use APS-c lenses as long as they cover the image circle without vignetting, because edge sharpness isn't part of the shooting strategy.

Last edited by normhead; 03-04-2020 at 07:27 AM.
03-05-2020, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all contributions, fascinating to have his combination of expert knowledge and expereince to draw on. My overall take out is that apart from 2 of my current APS-C lenses, the sigma 10-20 and pentax 16-85, all others will give acceptable results, or even great results as shown my norrmhead. I am a bit perplexed about why sigma would need to modify my 150-500 mount for a K1 since the mount is the same as the K3 II (unless my ignorance is showing.........again).
So I do remain tempted to make the upgrade and in time get 1 or 2 of the FF lenses recommended.
Just loving the pentaxian community, thanks again.