Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2020, 06:06 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Finally!!! Got My New (to me) K1!

After about a year and a half trying to save up, I finally got my K-1. Bought it from a nice young gentleman here in Vegas off of Offer Up. awesome experience meeting him and I commended him on how well he cared for his gear. Lookin over this camera I am in awe, I really like how it adjusts the crop rectangle as I zoom in and out with my Sigma 8-16, and from what I can tell (by manually stopping it down on preview) it will work just fine on full frame setting anyways. I spent some time trying different lenses out on it and am very impressed when I put my A lenses on it, it brought me back to my film days, cant wait to get shooting with these lenses.
Still trying to figure out those two top knobs, but Im sure I will figure it out once I go over the owners manual. Is there some general settings for this camera that I need to know ahead of time? I know I have to update the firmware....
I still think I will be using my K3 extensively, mainly for the reach and burst rate, but my K1 will be fullfilling my macro, landscape, and studio needs in the future...

Name:  20200305_195321.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  152.2 KB

Name:  20200306_044954.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  74.8 KB

03-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That's awesome! Happy for you and can't wait for photos from your K1 good luck with everything!
03-06-2020, 06:21 AM   #3
Unregistered User

My suggestion is that you go through the menu lists, item by item, with the instructions in hand. (Figuratively speaking, you can't hardly read the little book without a magnifying glass - I use the PDF format document downloaded from Richo's website.) That way you can make systematic and intentional decisions about each item. Any item that you're not sure of, and which the instructions don't sufficiently explain, can be clarified by reference to the "advanced search" function on this website, or by more general explanations available via conventional search engines. Lots of good photo explanations on Youtube, as well.

Pay special attention to the custom setting camera modes. My suggestion is to have the dial set to M as you define your initial settings for the "general case", and then save that set to each of the custom setting modes. After that, set the dial to each of the custom modes in turn, modifying the particular settings for whatever special function you want that mode to be useful for, e.g., landscape, macro, astrophotography, etc.; remember to save the special set of modified settings to the correct custom mode number. After you save each modified custom mode, turn the dial to the next one, which will restore the initial settings and start over for that special function.

This could take days, assuming you don't have the time to do it all at once. Have some method of keeping track of where you are, what you've done, and what you're going to do next.
03-06-2020, 06:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like good times coming....mine get used most of the time, with the K-3 confined to hikes where there might be wildlife or birds.

03-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sounds like good times coming....mine get used most of the time, with the K-3 confined to hikes where there might be wildlife or birds.
That's the same here, my K3 is just about unbeatable for hiking, which I now do a lot of. I may try and take the K1 on a hike or two, but I bet it's like ten pounds connected red to my DFA 150-450.....
03-06-2020, 07:56 AM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Good things come to those who wait...

Congratulations - it looks like a beauty!
03-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
After about a year and a half trying to save up, I finally got my K-1. Bought it from a nice young gentleman here in Vegas off of Offer Up. awesome experience meeting him and I commended him on how well he cared for his gear. Lookin over this camera I am in awe, I really like how it adjusts the crop rectangle as I zoom in and out with my Sigma 8-16, and from what I can tell (by manually stopping it down on preview) it will work just fine on full frame setting anyways. I spent some time trying different lenses out on it and am very impressed when I put my A lenses on it, it brought me back to my film days, cant wait to get shooting with these lenses.
Still trying to figure out those two top knobs, but Im sure I will figure it out once I go over the owners manual. Is there some general settings for this camera that I need to know ahead of time? I know I have to update the firmware....
I still think I will be using my K3 extensively, mainly for the reach and burst rate, but my K1 will be fullfilling my macro, landscape, and studio needs in the future...

Attachment 489253

Attachment 489252
Congratulations on getting the K-1. It is an incredible camera. The flippy screen is so addictive. I miss it when using any of my other cameras.

As mentioned there are lots of features and customization to set. I use the top wheel to quickly set ISO. When set up to match a photographer's preferences, the K-1 just gets out of the way and the work flow is seamless

Enjoy the new camera,
barondla

03-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! Sounds like you having a ball!

I remember I was thrilled in the same sort ways when I got my K-1 and I still love it. Positive surprises for me (as they were not factoring in my buying decisions) were the great feel of the K-1 in my hands, the tilty screen (fantastic for awkward compositions) and even the GPS (locating where the photo was shot). My only (relatively minor) gripe is that we have yet to see a relatively compact modern Pentax UWA lens option - for me I'm otherwise happy with the FA limiteds (and DFA 28-105 for travel + WR).
04-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Congratulations! Sounds like you having a ball!

I remember I was thrilled in the same sort ways when I got my K-1 and I still love it. Positive surprises for me (as they were not factoring in my buying decisions) were the great feel of the K-1 in my hands, the tilty screen (fantastic for awkward compositions) and even the GPS (locating where the photo was shot). My only (relatively minor) gripe is that we have yet to see a relatively compact modern Pentax UWA lens option - for me I'm otherwise happy with the FA limiteds (and DFA 28-105 for travel + WR).
Im looking at that same lens as a possibility, but I totally have my zoom rang taken care of for my K3 which is still a serious part of my gear set up, plus the DFA lenses aork on my K1, I wish they had a zoom that would cover everything under my 150-450, so something like a 16-150mm would be nice. I will just start using what primes I have and getting some more. looking at the 31, 43,77 limiteds...

on another note, I am finding this camera a real joy to use, the way it is set up makes it so easy to use and stays out of my way, I like having the top right knob set on ISO the most, because I find myself changing the ISO all the time and on my K3 it is kind of a pain, I gotta remember where the ISO button is all the time and then I have to fiddle around with it to change settings, with the K1 i know just where to put my thumb and change my ISO so much easier, its like automatic with me now, however with the K3 I now find myself accidentally reaching up there with my thumb looking for that knob that isn't there.

also I am really loving the flippy screen.
04-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Congrats! It’s weird, I had to check to see if I didn’t post this. I’ve found since working with both my K3 and K1 that the 3 / APSC is better for zoom, while FF is better for the mid-ranges (just something to keep in mind). You’re gonna love the K1.
The only regret was (initially) “I should have not spent THAT much on a camera”. That faded literally immediately after seeing the image quality.
04-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
Congrats! It’s weird, I had to check to see if I didn’t post this. I’ve found since working with both my K3 and K1 that the 3 / APSC is better for zoom, while FF is better for the mid-ranges (just something to keep in mind). You’re gonna love the K1.
The only regret was (initially) “I should have not spent THAT much on a camera”. That faded literally immediately after seeing the image quality.
There is no way I would have paid full price for the camera, I managed to get it for $1k and am very happy at that. I do agree with you on the different uses for different bodies.
04-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW.... I always struggled between K3 frame rate (inc buffer) and K1 high ISO handling when using the 150-450. In the end..... I always use the K1 on the 150-450. My reasoning (for me) is that when out on a bush walk lots of images are under canopy or end of day shots so K1 is better..... also I like 150 to 200mm on K1 field of view for landscape images. Have fun!