Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2020, 06:40 AM   #1

K1 or K1 II ? (both same price)

Hi, I need new K1 cause I sold my old one. I have possibility to geit either new K1 or K1 II. Both have same price.

I shoot RAW mostly Between ISO 100-1600. Sometimes 3200. I probably like little bit better AF. But is the image quality
clearly better between ISO 800-3200 with K1? When does difference start? Is it ISO800?

03-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #2

The accelerator kicks in at around ISO 636, where you'll begin to notice an improvement in usable dynamic range. You can already find comparisons online between the two cameras, but the difference in image quality basically boils down to the K1ii having slightly improved noise at the cost of slight softness (however detail is still retained, unlike the infamous star-eating Sony had). At print/display sizes you'd be hard pressed to see any difference, but in theory the K1ii could have be usable around 1 stop higher ISO than the K1.

The more quantifiable difference between the two is that the K1ii has a slightly improved AF algorithm, and the handheld pixelshift mode. Neither of those are huge upgrades or major selling points, but if the K1ii is the same price and in the same or better condition, it's really a no-brainer to pick it up over the K1.
03-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Get the newer camera. I don‘t understand the fuss about downgrading af to screw drive and the long discussion about iso performance of K1 vs K1ii.
Firmware upgrades will cover ii longer, af is better, camera is newer, sell it later for more...
03-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ok. Thanks I'll do that! Probably for my use both are great, so no reason not to take newer model.

03-22-2020, 07:24 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have both. Get the K1-II. Mine has less shutter shake. Autofocus is a wee bit better. As far as images quality go they look pretty much the same to me. This is a photo I took a few days ago. K1-II, ISO 1,600. DA* 300mm f4.0 lens. The first is the full frame and the second heavily cropped. Shows why I love the K1. Why use APSc mode when you can crop to your hearts content. Flies as pollinators.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
03-22-2020, 08:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

To be honest, after having experience with both I would just recommend getting the Mark 2. The only reason for this would be because the autofocus tracking (when I do wildlife photography) is definitely an improvemen over the Mark 1 when I'm using 9-AF zone tracking on AF-C. Also, as has been shown by the official PF review, theres no stareater with the built-in RAW noise reduction, though I must agree it does sometimes make me nervous that some software might create strange artefacts at some point. This is just an irrational worry of mine since my thinking about RAW is that it should remain untampered with until the photographer decides to tamper but that's just me :P

In reality I've had no issues on Capture One 20, Lightroom 5 or CC, Darktable or Affinity Photo (which is what I use mostly nowadays). That's my expereince on a Macbook and an iPad. In fact, the noise level at 12,800 is ridiculously low when you're careful with noise reduction, sharpening and sharpen-masking sliders in Lightroom. Not had to use flash at all walking around London in darkness (as dark as it can get in an overwhelmingly artifically-lit city at least).

However, from some actual side-by-side testing I've done, the Mark 1 does outperform the Mark 2 by about 60 shots on battery life. Also the Mark 1 seems to last a good hour longer in Live View mode than the Mark 2. Then again I just carry 4 batteries everywhere I go and don't really think about it. Plus theres always the battery grip if you're gonna use it for extremely long exposures or video.

Hope that helped more than confused.

David
03-22-2020, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a K1 two weeks ago, didn't want the Mkii so I purposely looked for the Mk1, I am very happy with my decision, love my K1 so far....

03-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just want to note that I have the Pentax K-1 II, and it performs at an excellent level per all aspects. I had the K-1, but had bought it so close to the K-1 II becoming available that the seller allowed me to return the K-1 and purchase the K-1 II. The detail in the K-1 II images is amazing, and the AF is excellent.
03-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by HankVonHeaven Quote
Hi, I need new K1 cause I sold my old one. I have possibility to geit either new K1 or K1 II. Both have same price.

I shoot RAW mostly Between ISO 100-1600. Sometimes 3200. I probably like little bit better AF. But is the image quality
clearly better between ISO 800-3200 with K1? When does difference start? Is it ISO800?
I do not get this: You have a K-1 and sold it. Why buying a new one. If you really needed one you would not have sold the old one, before you got a replacement.
03-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I originally had the MK ii and chose to sell it and buy the MK 1. Why? because I don't want the accelerator clouding my RAW photos.....
03-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #11
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At ceteris paribus I'd go for the K-1ii. Newer camera, longer firmware upgrades, better af, better at higher iso, etc.
03-22-2020, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I originally had the MK ii and chose to sell it and buy the MK 1. Why? because I don't want the accelerator clouding my RAW photos.....
I still haven't seen a single photo where the accelerator removed any meaningful detail. (And one can always limit ISO to 400 and then push in post).

To OP: at equal price, I'd go with the K-1ii without a second thought. Only reason I got the original was the almost 400€ difference.
03-22-2020, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded my K-1 to the K-1 II, and I would highly recommend getting the II. The AF is better, and the noise reduction kicks in after 640, and at that point, I find the reduced noise really outweighs any perceived losses in sharpness. I twisted at length trying to decide on the upgrade worrying if I'd regret it. After doing so, the answer is a resounding no regrets! I can't imagine not doing it at this point.
03-23-2020, 12:07 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveSimo Quote
However, from some actual side-by-side testing I've done, the Mark 1 does outperform the Mark 2 by about 60 shots on battery life.
How many shots for each? Did you actually just let the cameras shoot until they ran out of battery?
03-23-2020, 04:17 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
How many shots for each? Did you actually just let the cameras shoot until they ran out of battery?
Indeed, I had setup each one with a wired trigger to shoot at low speed burst rate indefinitely. As I say though in reality this is just not a worry because let's face it, the ambient temperature will change, focus habits will vary and standby times will change depending on what you're actually doing - and all those things, especially ambient temperature, will have an effect on battery life.

I guess I should add one disclaimer to that, and that is that I didn't use the same battery for both cameras in this test. Both were original Pentax batteries of equal age but we all know nothing is ever created equal in the world of imperfect QC.

In actual use I saw no real difference during my usual street photography walks. With both the MK1 and 2 I would usually go through a full battery and about half-way through a second after about 6-7 hours of walking and shooting. That includes many Live View shots as well and with screen brightness at +2 (because I like to get out on very contrasty harshly sunlit days for those oh so popular 'protect the highlights' shots )