Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
What really boggles me is that why on earth MK2 was even released?
Because technically speaking it is the better camera.

04-16-2020, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Just another reference point. I downloaded both your files and processed in the latest darktable git version. Both files came out clean with no magenta tint anywhere after a +5 stop push.

Jack
Thanks Jack and to everybody else who’s out their experience forward. Funny thing is I actually started this thread to defend the Mark 2 haha. It was simply to highlight the fact that RAW processing software behaves differently with files which have been slightly modified in-camera, and you run into problems if the program does not apply the correct profile. In all honesty, having both the K1 and the Mark 2, I am perfectly satisfied with both but have actually concluded that the K1 suits my needs better. There really is no difference in AF speed in my experience but that’s because I don’t shoot Hockey games or horse-racing etc. For BIF, the K1 is brilliant with my DFA 150-450 ( though I’ve had to send it off to Japan to repair the loose ribbon cable )

I’m going to be selling my Mark 2 because I use Affinity and Lightroom for my workflow and prefer the K1’s retention of fine details and that there will never be any surprises when pulling up shadows with local adjustments (as I have already experienced this with some photos).

Stay safe everybody

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-16-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Selling not allowed outside Marketplace
04-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveSimo Quote
I’m going to be selling my Mark 2 because I use Affinity and Lightroom for my workflow and prefer the K1’s retention of fine details and that there will never be any surprises when pulling up shadows with local adjustments (as I have already experienced this with some photos).
This is why I got two MK1 bodies after purchasing MK2. My noise collection is my own problem, not something I want to handle to an unknown chip. No one really knows here what is does anyway at deeper level. I initially had trust in Pentax that a FW update would allow disabling the accelerator, or at least some of its routines, but no.
04-17-2020, 03:42 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
What really boggles me is that why on earth MK2 was even released?
Ricoh seems to put a lot of emphasis on sooc. Most (all?) samples on ricoh.jp are specified with custom image etc suggesting sooc. Featured photographers all mention in camera look tuning, they release a fair bit of text discussing the same.

Its actually in line with what seems to be the general vision for Pentax. Joy of photography or whatever. Focussing on taking pictures and the whole experience including ovf , handling and sooc features such as accellerator.

04-17-2020, 04:51 AM   #35
Pentaxian

They should, then, put emphasis on copying all Huawei Px0 Pro special multiexposure stacking modes to make it worth something.

I already use P20 Pro for light painting much more than K-1. Because it just works, for hours, if needed. I can see what I paint live on rear screen and this is lots better than Olympus livebulb.

And same applies to average composites. I can see long exposure stacking results live and stop when results are perfect. Stacking speed is at least ten times faster what K-1 can achieve with no shutter shock (surprise...).
07-05-2020, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxrookie Quote
Because technically speaking it is the better camera.
That depends on user preference.

Some welcome the slightly better AF-C performance and prefer the reduced requirements in post-processing (-> K-1 II), others prefer the integrity of the RAW data (-> K-1), however niche their applications may be.

FWIW, the purple cast in some K-1 II images is indeed caused by incorrect RAW processing. Image data does not need to be "out of range" for this to occur; it's seems to be an incorrect handling of hue near the black point.