Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Same (current) version of lightroom handles K-1 mk1 and mk2 differently. MK2 gives me this with underexposed and pushed ISO100 files:

No such issues with MK1. If anything, pushed MK1 RAW-files produce more white dots but not magenta tinted shadows which simply do not go away simple tint-adjustment. Either Adobe messed something up or MK2 imaging chain has serious flaw here. I took that example in July 2018 and Rawtherapee release from that timeline also ended up with the same magenta tint.
It would be useful to try that file with alternative software. Rawtherapee is free, safe and relatively small.

04-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Same (current) version of lightroom handles K-1 mk1 and mk2 differently. MK2 gives me this with underexposed and pushed ISO100 files:

No such issues with MK1. If anything, pushed MK1 RAW-files produce more white dots but not magenta tinted shadows which simply do not go away simple tint-adjustment. Either Adobe messed something up or MK2 imaging chain has serious flaw here. I took that example in July 2018 and Rawtherapee release from that timeline also ended up with the same magenta tint.
A true shame because this is also my experience with Lightroom. So far what has worked best for me (if we're sticking to only Lightroom) is to adjust the tint until the green is just below obvious, increase contrast, ensure colour-noise-reduction smoothness is set to 100, then go to your HSL and adjust the purple and magenta saturation down. Luckily there's not many things in nature that are purple and magenta so we can usually get away with this (except for sunsets and pretty flowers)

There's more steps you can take such as local saturation adjustments using the brush tool. You could also just use curves on the green channel to push the shadows green tint up and bring the blue down. All worth experimenting with. Once you're pushing EV that high then you're already in slightly uncharted territory. Bracketting is the way to go anyhow in these landscape shots but I guess motion blur can be an issue when PP software doesn't do the best job of correcting it.

---------- Post added 04-05-20 at 12:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mundj Quote
Thank you for your article. But, a question. How are you importing images into Lightroom, as DMG files or PEF format? I don't yet have a K1 but am interested in these articles?
DNG but have tried as PEF as well. Same results.

---------- Post added 04-05-20 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I have more white dot on my K1 II, so I think it's not related to the camera being a Mk1 or Mk2 but rather related to the sensor itself.
You can easily correct shadow tint adjusting the red tone curve for low levels. I did that to correct for WB in shadow and it worked great.
Not everyone needs to push 5 stops of shadows, I never push more than 3 stop because I use 2, 3 and 4 stops soft ND grad filters which helps balance noise across the frame, do so it much better than exposing for the high light and pushing shadows like crazy. There is also the method of taking two or three bracketed shots and stacking them with luminosity masks it's also much better than pushing shadows 4 or 5 stops.
Couldn't agree more. To be honest I just wanted to address this because I've seen many people in youtube comments and on here getting stressed that all of a sudden their camera is no good because of review from Cameraville and DPReview. But at the same time it is an issue with Lightroom and so I thought hey why not provide a couple presets for Capture One (and Affinity Photo on demand) until Lightroom bring out a proper profile, if they ever do. But yeah totally agree. Proper exposure in the field can't be beaten. I think the ideal shot would be one where you'd ask yourself "If I was shooting JPEG, would this shot be good enough?" and answer with a resounding yes...or something like that anyways

Though I'm probably just talking s***

Last edited by DaveSimo; 04-05-2020 at 01:05 PM.
04-05-2020, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

It seems to be Adobe issue. I just loaded RawTherapee 5.8, pushed to +3EV and did some dirty jpg export:

No more magenta. This is a plain mess though, my main workflow happens with Adobe products and now it seems to be that I cannot rely on it at all.
04-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
It seems to be Adobe issue. I just loaded RawTherapee 5.8, pushed to +3EV and did some dirty jpg export:

No more magenta. This is a plain mess though, my main workflow happens with Adobe products and now it seems to be that I cannot rely on it at all.
Hey that’s great to hear! But yeah shame about Adobe being taken out the picture. I’m just a bit annoyed at Lightroom’s very limited features to be honest. Coming from somebody who’s tried C1, AF and Darktable (which probably has way too many features) I don’t understand how Adobe can justify £10 a month or whatever it is for something that’s a slightly better version of Apple’s built-in editor.

04-06-2020, 02:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Well, IMHO, Lightroom still digs out the most details from a pixel-shift file provided one does not use motion correction (does NOT work) and has one of the best (or, let's say effective) and most easy to use sharpening engines of all editors. RAW noise reduction is also done very well. I do like the recently added color shading profiles which are quite effective in some use cases.

Switching to another catalog is another headache.
04-06-2020, 04:27 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, IMHO, Lightroom still digs out the most details from a pixel-shift file provided one does not use motion correction (does NOT work) and has one of the best (or, let's say effective) and most easy to use sharpening engines of all editors. RAW noise reduction is also done very well. I do like the recently added color shading profiles which are quite effective in some use cases.

I know what you mean. Perhaps you could flatten your image in RawTherapee and export it as a 16-bit uncompressed TIFF into Lightroom? As for pixelshift you may find that the artefacts disappear when using those files only in Lightroom. I haven’t messed with them properly but perhaps there’s much better colour noise reduction smoothing that goes on with a pixel-shifted file.
04-06-2020, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Switching software is indeed a headache. I doubt that LR gets more detail out of any file than RT. Im sure LR is better in other respects but RT is a monster when it comes to sharpening and detail. There are a lot of tools with sophisticated controls that can be used in parallell to really squeeze those pixels.

04-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

True, RT has the stuff and there are lot of sliders and knobs to turn. Quite a few too many for most purposes.

LR manages effective masking and deconvolution sharpening with just four sliders.
04-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It would be useful to try that file with alternative software. Rawtherapee is free, safe and relatively small.
I did exactly that. MJKoski was so kind to send me his file and I processed it with LR and there is no magenta problem.
So, does anybody have this problem right now and if so, could he send me the photo, please? I am very curious about this.
Thanks a lot.
04-15-2020, 04:37 AM   #25

Hi lads,

what is happening here?
Is this an Adobe bashing thread and I pooped the party?
Nobody sent me a RAW from a K1 II which shows any "magenta problem" in the current version of LR.

I would really like to know, just in case I want to buy a Mark II?
04-15-2020, 12:53 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxrookie Quote
Hi lads,

what is happening here?
Is this an Adobe bashing thread and I pooped the party?
Nobody sent me a RAW from a K1 II which shows any "magenta problem" in the current version of LR.

I would really like to know, just in case I want to buy a Mark II?
Hey, not at all haha. Just been quite busy with work and sorting through the recent madness. So here's a comparison photo I took of a scene in my workplace. I placed two black boards, one shiny side and the other is matte. Both photos are taken at -5 EV. Once you push the exposure by 5 stops you can see how the K1 produces an ever so slightly green tint but the blacks are deep and the green disappears when the Tint slider is adjusted by a couple points. However the Mark 2 is pretty plagued by the purple and slight colour-noise reduction begins to produce visible purple artefacts. Have a go. Oh and these are PEF files but the exact same thing happens with DNG.

Dropbox link for both files: Dropbox - K1 vs Mark 2 -5EV files - Simplify your life
04-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just another reference point. I downloaded both your files and processed in the latest darktable git version. Both files came out clean with no magenta tint anywhere after a +5 stop push.

Jack
04-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Here are some ISO comparisons between the K1 & K1 Mk II

K1

K1 Mk II

As you can see the Mark II has an issue at ISO 100. Please be aware these were taken and processed July of 2018. Although, I just pulled them up in LR and tried to reprocess and still same magenta in the ISO 100 images.

My take on this was on the Mark II, I would push to ISO 200 if taking darker shots that I knew I would be push the exposure. Because after 100, they seem ok to me.
04-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #29

Thanks Dave for the file. I played around with it and it seems that the green channel is dropping a bit when pushed to +4 ev or above; at least with this file. (Tom's experience is a bit different.)
This happens in LR as well as in CP1. Silkypix and darktable seem to have different issues from dread looking at all to chroma noise all over the place.

The easiest fix in LR is to use a suitable film profile like Agfa Optima 200 which works great with this file. This RNI profile compresses the histogram a bit and the magenta in the dark parts are gone.
Dave's CP1 profile works great too and one could elevate the blacks in the green channel in LR a tiny bit with the same result.

So it seems that the RAW file from the MK2 is processed a bit differently in camera even when at ISO 100.
You get a bit more dynamic range for the cost of the green channel.
For me this is no issue at all as no one in his right mind whould work like that and if you have to, it is easy to remedy.

But it is no issue with LR or any other raw converter since they all have a problem with this file when pushed that far.
Thank you to all of you.
04-16-2020, 09:00 AM   #30
Veteran Member

What really boggles me is that why on earth MK2 was even released? I have 3 K-1 bodies and 2 of them are MK1 purchased after MK2 just because of better IQ in general for my purposes. One is for pure B&W (bayer to be removed) and one stock.

Ricoh could have just released upgrade campaign for those who wanted the extra chip.

My plan is to have
1) fullspectrum K-1 - done
2) real B&W K-1 - tbd
3) normal K-1 - done