Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2020, 06:10 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I don't know if there are more who has this opinion or it's just me but, I love the look of the cameras in the 80s. That's why I like the KP.
I do as well. Or perhaps even 70s. That's why I have 2 KX cameras (and a Z-1 which still confuses me, but that's due to lack of use). I long lusted after the KP, but held out for FF, then had to wait financially. It now looks like I either buy in the spring, K-3 III, or wait for the K-1 III. My lenses are best suited to FF I believe, although some (K 2/28mm, 1.9/43mm, Voigt 1.4/58mm, and M 2/85mm) would work well on APS-C. But I'd miss a real wide angle. And I can't wait to see the new viewfinder on FF...

12-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Well, to revive an old thread, I got a Z6
So you now also have a set of adapters. How do you like working with those?
12-21-2020, 01:35 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
So you now also have a set of adapters. How do you like working with those?
Fine I guess? I’ve been using adapters on digital since I bought a GH2 in 2011, so no real change in that sense. It’s just nice to finally be able to use full frame glass on a full frame sensor.
12-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I suspect, gives the choice (by which I mean "given the cash") I'd go for the K-1. Really I'd prefer a mirrorless body for the more accurate manual focus but there just isn't any FF mirrorless system I like and I'd rather use a great camera with it's drawbacks than use a camera that gave me an unpleasant photography experience. I love Fujifilm's X system but it's not FF and they've said they'll never go FF. I'm not sure a FF sensor would fit in the existing mount anyway.

I've used some Nikon DSLRs and they were very disappointing in design, quality and use-ability.

12-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Fine I guess? I’ve been using adapters on digital since I bought a GH2 in 2011, so no real change in that sense. It’s just nice to finally be able to use full frame glass on a full frame sensor.
My question was indeed too vague. I have never used an adapter (other than Pentax 67>645 or 645>K), so I don't know how they work with automatic apertures etc. Mine was a novice's question. As the lenses are designed to stay wide open until the release button is pressed, how does that work with these adapters? Again, a very simple question no doubt.
I've been mulling about K-1 and Z6 myself recently, as it happened, which peaked my interest. But I only have Pentax glass in 35mm format. I will probably wait for the K-1 III if it adopts the improvements of the K-3 III, especially in the OVF.
But I'm also going abroad for about a year, and wondering what to bring with me: my two KXs with 5-6 lenses, the TLRs, or the Rollei 6008 with three lenses and three backs. The TLRs are coming along in any case. A digital camera suddenly seemed tempting.
12-21-2020, 11:48 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My question was indeed too vague. I have never used an adapter (other than Pentax 67>645 or 645>K), so I don't know how they work with automatic apertures etc. Mine was a novice's question. As the lenses are designed to stay wide open until the release button is pressed, how does that work with these adapters? Again, a very simple question no doubt.
The adapter (at least the ones I've used) is just a dumb tube that retains the correct flange distance when a lens designed for a SLR mount (deep) is used on a mirrorless mount (shallow). It doesn't adjust anything on the lens or send any information from the lens to the body.

When a lens is mounted on an adapter, the aperture stops down as the aperture ring is turned. Ie. no open-aperture focus or metering. However, the EVF automatically adjusts brightness as the aperture is adjusted, so no dim viewfinder as you would get, for instance, stopping down to f22 on a SLR.

In practice, I usually shoot in Aperture Priority. I set focus and aperture, camera sets shutter speed and ISO. Easy peasy
12-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Thanks for the explanation. I have a few f4 or f3.5 lenses, so this is a point of special interest. That said, the new viewfinder of the K-3 III looks ultra-bright in the most recent video that emerged. If that translates to the K-1 III...
Still on the fence. I'll be shooting film exclusively for another year I guess. (And they don't make Washi B&W or Cinestill 50 for digital...)

12-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation. I have a few f4 or f3.5 lenses, so this is a point of special interest. That said, the new viewfinder of the K-3 III looks ultra-bright in the most recent video that emerged. If that translates to the K-1 III...
Still on the fence. I'll be shooting film exclusively for another year I guess. (And they don't make Washi B&W or Cinestill 50 for digital...)
Mirrorless adaption works very well for slower lenses. As an example, I much prefer using the Super Macro Takumar 50/f4 on the Z6 than on my Pentax film bodies, due to the much brighter viewfinder.