Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2020, 01:54 PM - 13 Likes   #1

My little world is now perfect (Vintage lenses on the K-1 ii)

Yes. This post is pointless. It doesn't really serve any rational purpose, it most likely won't bring any particularly useful information to anyone.

I just had to ventilate! Switched to Pentax lately from Fuji mirrorless. I've been shooting my Takumars on that system for a while, using focus peaking in the viewfinder (EVF, naturally) and it works quite well. I did not like the crop very much and used a speed booster to get some of the framing back.

However, got the K-1 ii recently and the other day the Pentax 30120 M42->K adapter came in the mail. I got the 24-70 2.8, Samyang 85/1.4 and the DA 50/1.8 - but what I was truly looking forward to was to try out all the vintage glass on it. And holy c**p does the K-1 not disappoint!

1. Image quality. Coming from the X-T1, the bump in digital resolution from 16MP to 36MP is obviously noticeable. Taking the dynamic range and the color processing (Fujis are also great for color though) into the equation also, and my mind was blown!
2. Useability. I really liked focus peaking through the EVF on the Fuji - not a big fan of using the screen, so I haven't used liveview much on the K-1. However, that big and bright OVF makes focusing a breeze - and having the confirmation beep is a huge help in speeding up the process. I pretty much fast focus until the beep and then fine-adjust. I'm basically as fast as with focus peaking in-EVF - and yeah, those old lenses just look sexy on a DSLR body, without a huge adapter.

To conclude, I'm having a better experience shooting my Takumar lenses on the K-1ii than on mirrorless with focus peaking, which was a big surprise - it's just hard to argue against a big and bright optical viewfinder with confirmation beep!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ONEPLUS A5010  Photo 
05-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, glad to hear your perspective. Given the Pentax lineup it's obvious enough that folks around here do love the OVF. But I, for one, use the rear screen quite a lot also. It's good to have options.

I really do need to take my Tak 24/3.5 out more. 24mm is wider than what I usually reach for, but it's a fun perspective and a beauty of a lens.
05-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agreed. My K1 II is definitely breathing some new life into some of my older lenses.
05-26-2020, 12:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Welcome, glad to hear your perspective. Given the Pentax lineup it's obvious enough that folks around here do love the OVF. But I, for one, use the rear screen quite a lot also. It's good to have options.

I really do need to take my Tak 24/3.5 out more. 24mm is wider than what I usually reach for, but it's a fun perspective and a beauty of a lens.
Options are always good!

The 24/3.5 is one of my favorites - playing with the close focus distance is fun with the wider angle, and I like how it renders the out of focus backgrounds.

05-26-2020, 12:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Do you happen to have an infrared filter? I would like to know if Tak 24/3.5 actually works without a hotspot before buying another 24mm lens that causes (major) hotspot or super soft edges.

K-1 can be used for IR without modification.
05-26-2020, 12:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
Do you happen to have an infrared filter? I would like to know if Tak 24/3.5 actually works without a hotspot before buying another 24mm lens that causes (major) hotspot or super soft edges.

K-1 can be used for IR without modification.
Unfortunately I don't
05-26-2020, 01:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Derek Quote
My K1 II is definitely breathing some new life into some of my older lenses.
My "Ladies" are almost skipping these days... instead of dragging their high heels around.

05-26-2020, 02:12 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

I put a canon S focus screen in my K1 a few months ago.... and it went up another level again.... easy to see critical focus with my 50/1.2 etc. Anyway.... have fun.

Note... I was contemplating getting a leica m10p.... but am now satisfied with my K1 and s screen.... maybe it was a coronavirus thing.

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-26-2020 at 02:17 AM.
05-26-2020, 02:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I put a canon S focus screen in my K1 a few months ago.... and it went up another level again.... easy to see critical focus with my 50/1.2 etc. Anyway.... have fun.
Does the alternate focus screen affect AF-performance?
05-26-2020, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HDpotato Quote
Does the alternate focus screen affect AF-performance?
I've not found any issues with the K1..... I do have a 2nd K1 that I use mostly on my dfa 150-450.... I tried a back to back (ie swapped K1s with the DFA on a tripod to see if there was any issues ie focus at twilight with a f5.6 lens) and only noticed a very slight light loss with the s screen..... no meaningful focus issues. I did find the manual focus overide on the DFA more useful for a bird in a bush with the S screen..... so I am contemplating changing it's screen over as well..... but need to do some more checks.

When using manual focus with the s screen.... I turn off all screen overlays and focusing aids and can focus on any thing in any part of the viewfinder.... ie no need to focus in centre and reframe shot etc.
05-26-2020, 05:14 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and glad you are enjoying the experience!
While I mostly shoot with the wonderful fa limiteds, I also like my takumars. I have a 28 f3 5, 50 f1.4, 55 f1.8, 135 f3.5 and 200 f4. They are enjoyable to use for sure.
05-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I don't know what the best (or should I say worst) conditions are for showing hotspots, but I just did a few quick test shots with the S-M-C Tac 24/3.5 on my K-5 with 590nm filter on the sensor, and do not find any hotspot.
05-26-2020, 09:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HDpotato Quote
Yes. This post is pointless. It doesn't really serve any rational purpose, it most likely won't bring any particularly useful information to anyone.

I just had to ventilate! Switched to Pentax lately from Fuji mirrorless. I've been shooting my Takumars on that system for a while, using focus peaking in the viewfinder (EVF, naturally) and it works quite well. I did not like the crop very much and used a speed booster to get some of the framing back.

However, got the K-1 ii recently and the other day the Pentax 30120 M42->K adapter came in the mail. I got the 24-70 2.8, Samyang 85/1.4 and the DA 50/1.8 - but what I was truly looking forward to was to try out all the vintage glass on it. And holy c**p does the K-1 not disappoint!

1. Image quality. Coming from the X-T1, the bump in digital resolution from 16MP to 36MP is obviously noticeable. Taking the dynamic range and the color processing (Fujis are also great for color though) into the equation also, and my mind was blown!
2. Useability. I really liked focus peaking through the EVF on the Fuji - not a big fan of using the screen, so I haven't used liveview much on the K-1. However, that big and bright OVF makes focusing a breeze - and having the confirmation beep is a huge help in speeding up the process. I pretty much fast focus until the beep and then fine-adjust. I'm basically as fast as with focus peaking in-EVF - and yeah, those old lenses just look sexy on a DSLR body, without a huge adapter.

To conclude, I'm having a better experience shooting my Takumar lenses on the K-1ii than on mirrorless with focus peaking, which was a big surprise - it's just hard to argue against a big and bright optical viewfinder with confirmation beep!
Gotta say, that Tak with the vented hood looks sexy on a K1II...
05-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ooh, that reminds me, I have the original (square) hood for the Tak 24/3.5.
05-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Be careful, you might end up with a lot of vintage glas - I was so close to aquiring a variant of GAS, VGAS (Vintage Glas Aquisition Syndrom), I was cured after buying some M lenses and a Super Tak 200mm M42 lens for astrophotography
There are quite a few sellers on dba.dk, sometimes you have to buy an old camera as well, but if you can get some great glas it’s a win win situation. But I guess you already know