Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2020, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #1

K-1 Video

Is the Video from the K-1 good for YouTube. When i get it i want to put railroad videos on it?

06-07-2020, 08:55 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Spremulli Quote
Is the Video from the K-1 good for YouTube. When i get it i want to put railroad videos on it?
It's fine. Output isn't much different than a 5DmkIV that I can see, especially for YouTube on most computers---I've shot them side by side. IMO, what makes other cameras in this HD slot better is the UI, practically speaking, and possibly focus. But this latter issue, such as it may or may not exist, can be overcome with practice and technique. Video requires good technique no matter what camera you're using, including the best broadcast quality cameras (what a surprise!).
06-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Spremulli Quote
Yep, you get 1080 HD, that's what you want for YouTube or burning to a DVD or whatever.

If you output in 4k, the only audience for that is yourself playing the MP4 file at home, or YouTubers who have at least 15Mbps Internet download speed and choose that option in the interface.
06-21-2020, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
The K-1 allows you to go into Sv mode and set the shutter speed to the proper 1/50 second for 24P while allowing the camera to adjust the Aperture, or go in Manual mode set the shutter speed while watching the exposure and manually adjusting the Aperture. None of this is very easy to do with other cameras. All the modes are available in movie mode the same way they are in the photographic mode. That is not true with Canon cameras I have used; turning the mode dial kicks you out of movie mode there, and you have to chase through the menus to get those features in the movie mode. Ugh.

The place the K-1 falls down is tracking focus for moving object - which Canon does really well.

06-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoustonBob Quote
The K-1 allows you to go into Sv mode and set the shutter speed to the proper 1/50 second for 24P while allowing the camera to adjust the Aperture, or go in Manual mode set the shutter speed while watching the exposure and manually adjusting the Aperture. None of this is very easy to do with other cameras. All the modes are available in movie mode the same way they are in the photographic mode. That is not true with Canon cameras I have used; turning the mode dial kicks you out of movie mode there, and you have to chase through the menus to get those features in the movie mode. Ugh.

The place the K-1 falls down is tracking focus for moving object - which Canon does really well.
There is no continuous focus for the K-1. It takes its cues from the cinema camera world, where it's all about manual focus.
06-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #6

I find it mediocre at best. Even using the sharpest primes I have, which give me excellent results with stills, the video output is soft and lacks clarity. It is usable but compared to the video output of current, same level competitors is really well behind the pack.
On top of 1080 and low FPS only (no 4K) and poor image quality it lacks some key features like AF tracking and no continuous focus in video mode, which, is really a bummer.
I think this is an area where Pentax desperately needs to improve: I know the K1 is designed for stills, but in 2020 you cannot underestimate the importance of video for a well rounded product, besides, phones do quality 4k video...
I hope with the MKIII (BTW, any rumors about that?) this will be taken into serious account together with several other stills features.
07-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #7

Sorry for delay posting. It's passable if you don't have anything else, but if you want 1080 it does 60i, not 60P which depending on who you talk to might be fine because they will say you can do 24P, 25P, 30P, which I guess it's fine if you wanna try to do old school stuff.
I had to use it for a video project at the uni and had recently acquired the camera. I was not happy that I had to chose between 720p at 60p frame rate or 1080i at 60fps. I didn't see the point of using the frame rates when the content will be viewed digitally for my purpose. I think Pentax is falling behind on video to companies that were late to update their video capabilities cough "Nikon". Even the cheapest camera have decent options these days. Auto focus is non-existant.

If you wanna do video and you have control over the lighting for the money black magic will give you a really nice video camera.
With Canon and Nikon you can do a hack called magic lantern for Canon and Nikon hacker for Nikon to hack the cameras so that you can add more features, increase bit rate, and if I remember correctly allow you do dump the raw video using an external device. Bit rate can sometimes be a decent indication of image quality since you have more headroom to work with.
There are better options out there, but if you want good image quality and you want video that will work the Pentax will do the job. Btw I found the built in microphone pretty decent and loud.