Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-1 mkii using flash and wireless remote?

I was trying to do some home studio self portraits with my Godox system flashes and it triggers the flashes in self timer mode but not in any of the remote modes.
Has anyone experienced this or better yet found a way around it? Seems kind of like a bug to me.
I'm shooting in manual with a 1/125 shutter speed so sync speed is not the problem.

06-14-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whenever I shoot my Godox units I use my XPro-P or a V1 on my camera, and set my groups and channels to correspond between the on camera transmitter (XPro-P or V1) and the off camera Godox units (such as AD200's). I also set my shooting mode to single frame (no timer) and white balance to "Flash" or "Daylight". My camera itself does not have to be in a "Remote" mode like you mentioned, just in a normal shooting mode. The on camera transmitter is the device which is providing the signal for the flashes, and the camera is used as it is normally, while also providing information for the transmitter.

I have never had any problems with my K-1 II or K-3 II when firing my Godox units.

I would doubt if you would have difficulty if your setup is correctly done. Sometimes a low power battery in either the camera or a flash can have an effect. I had that experience sort of recently.

Last edited by C_Jones; 06-14-2020 at 08:21 PM.
06-14-2020, 09:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was using the timer because I was trying to get a photo of myself and the remote was firing the camera but not the flash. I still suspect a bug in the camera. I updated the firmware but no change. If I just press the shutter button OR use the timer it works every time. Just not with the remote. I'm also using the XPro-P, V1, and AD200 Pro with an additional optically triggered speedlight for the backdrop.
This setup is one that I have used many times but without the remote. I use the remote almost daily landscape shooting so I know that is reliable too. I really think it is connected to being triggered by the remote which I agree is weird. But software bugs can be weird too. I'll try some more test to narrow it down more tomorrow.

I used the 12s timer and got the shot to show off my home haircut.

I'm curious if anyone else can try this, even with just a camera mounted flash and a remote to see if you get the same results.
06-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I was using the timer because I was trying to get a photo of myself and the remote was firing the camera but not the flash. I still suspect a bug in the camera. I updated the firmware but no change. If I just press the shutter button OR use the timer it works every time. Just not with the remote. I'm also using the XPro-P, V1, and AD200 Pro with an additional optically triggered speedlight for the backdrop.
This setup is one that I have used many times but without the remote. I use the remote almost daily landscape shooting so I know that is reliable too. I really think it is connected to being triggered by the remote which I agree is weird. But software bugs can be weird too. I'll try some more test to narrow it down more tomorrow.

I'm curious if anyone else can try this, even with just a camera mounted flash and a remote to see if you get the same results.
Brad Pitt's brother? Seriously though, marking this thread...

06-15-2020, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Brad Pitt's brother? Seriously though, marking this thread...
Lol yeah I guess. Or Leo DiCaprio when I'm fatter.
I guess I could have ended up with worse celebrity doppelgangers...

06-18-2020, 02:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Heh MattB with a K1,

This issue has apparently been around for a while. I was researching purchasing the Xpro P and found this Youtube video that describes the same problem with other drive modes:
Can you update the firmware of your triggers? Maybe they've already fixed it.
Best,
Matt B(ulow) with a K1
06-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KL Matt Quote
Heh MattB with a K1,

This issue has apparently been around for a while. I was researching purchasing the Xpro P and found this Youtube video that describes the same problem with other drive modes:
The Godox Xpro-P (Pentax) Problem - YouTube
Can you update the firmware of your triggers? Maybe they've already fixed it.
Best,
Matt B(ulow) with a K1
Thanks. Yes this is exactly what I experienced. No firmware updates for this trigger either.

06-25-2020, 01:17 AM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks. Yes this is exactly what I experienced. No firmware updates for this trigger either.
Bummer. Say, aren't these rebranded as Neewer and maybe even other brands? Maybe some other brand has firmware that works with all Pentax drive modes?

Matt
07-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I was trying to do some home studio self portraits with my Godox system flashes and it triggers the flashes in self timer mode but not in any of the remote modes.
What remote control are you using?
An IR remote or a cabled one?
Or does it not matter?

I can try to replicate the problem with the X-Pro P but I also have the Godox X2T and the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII which may behave differently.

N.B., I reckon that insulating all pins but the central pin might address your problem.
07-05-2020, 01:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What remote control are you using?
An IR remote or a cabled one?
Or does it not matter?

I can try to replicate the problem with the X-Pro P but I also have the Godox X2T and the Flashpoint R2 Pro MarkII which may behave differently.

N.B., I reckon that insulating all pins but the central pin might address your problem.
This is with a couple of different IR remotes.
07-05-2020, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I tested with my K-5 II: No problems.

K-1: No problem as long as the remote mode is not delayed.

If the remote mode is delayed (3s) then none of the Godox/Flashpoint triggers fire the flash.
A single pin, dumb flash still works in that mode
(-> try insulating all pins but the centre one, if you are keen to get this mode to work; I think it's worth a shot).

To check whether it's a K-1 bug, I used the Metz 58 AF-2 on top of the camera in delayed remote mode and it worked.
The Metz issues a pre-flash upon pressing the IR remote and then a proper main flash when the timer has elapsed.

Conclusion: Godox haven't fully implemented the P-TTL protocol.
They don't support second curtain sync either with P-TTL so I guess it does not come as a complete surprise.

Hope this helps.