Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sound of air from 28-105 DFA WR

Have not used my K1 for a while. Was checking out the batteries, have the 28-105 DFA WR on the camera. Was using the HDMI connection. Question....when zooming the lens one can hear and feel air moving out of the HDMI port area. If rubber cover is opened then zoom turns much easier. Did I just not notice it before and this is normal due to the WR sealing...or is there a seal broken somewhere??? Never noticed the zoom being stiff until now but can distinctly hear air moving in and out of that rubber section, or if any of the rubber seals for the ports opened. Or I am just losing my mind!

06-22-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is normal, as the air's got to come out somewhere

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-23-2020, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

A zoom is a bit of a vacuumcleaner combined with a blower, it sucks air in and out and uses the easiest passage to do so. Zooms of old had this as well. So never use a zoom if there is spray of a waterfall or of the sea. I did that once with the original 18-55 and the sensor had to be cleaned.
06-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies...have used the camera for a few years...and just now noticed how much of a vacuum the lens with WR sealing creates.

06-24-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
A zoom is a bit of a vacuumcleaner combined with a blower, it sucks air in and out and uses the easiest passage to do so. Zooms of old had this as well. So never use a zoom if there is spray of a waterfall or of the sea. I did that once with the original 18-55 and the sensor had to be cleaned.
The reason why you hear the breathing on DFA28-105 is that it is WR. The components in the lens are pretty tight but in order to get rid of the air the camera channels it through the body instead, closer to the ear. The lens does not behave light a vacuume cleaner but the body does. As there is usually less water by the camera and the channels are longer not much water reaches the places where it can du much harm.
06-24-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Thanks for the replies...have used the camera for a few years...and just now noticed how much of a vacuum the lens with WR sealing creates.
And this is probably why I don't have to clean my sensor all that often even though I live in the middle of a semi arid desert. There might just be something to eschewing zoom lenses for primes whenever possible.