Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2020, 07:59 AM - 12 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I Came Back To The K-1 And I'm Glad I Did!

I've owned Pentax K-1 cameras since they were first released. I own and shoot other brands too. Lately I've been stuck in a groove shooting only my Fuji, Nikon, and Sony cameras. It's been months since I've picked up my Pentax K-1 body.

Yesterday, I was having trouble getting acceptable results from my manual focus M39 Nikkor O 55mm f/1.2 CRT lens on my Fuji, Nikon and Sony bodies. Then I decided to pull out my Pentax K-1 and try this lens on the K-1. Well, this rare and exodic lens just sang on my K-1 body! I nailed focus much more often with the K-1's focus-peaking/IBIS/4x-magnification; and the images it made just looked better to my eye then what I was able to get from my non-Pentax bodies. Also, the K-1 has better ergonomics - it feels better in my hands, and the buttons/menus just work for me.

I guess one doesn't really appreciate how great the K-1 really is until you leave it for a while and then come back to it. While I intend to keep my other cameras for specialized applications (4k video, giant telephoto lenses, when weight is critical), when it comes to serious shooting with my best lenses when IQ is critical - I'm sticking with my Pentax K-1.

Do you prefer your Pentax K-1 to your other non-Pentax cameras? If so, why?

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-29-2020 at 08:13 AM.
06-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
Unregistered User

Can't say as I have a preference. They're different, and good for different tasks; each has its own peculiar set of advantages and disadvantages, strengths and weaknesses. If you need great image quality in a photo of something that isn't moving, or at least not moving very fast or erratically, then the K-1's a wonderful choice. I prefer the KP for birds, for example.
06-29-2020, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Can't say as I have a preference. They're different, and good for different tasks; each has its own peculiar set of advantages and disadvantages, strengths and weaknesses. If you need great image quality in a photo of something that isn't moving, or at least not moving very fast or erratically, then the K-1's a wonderful choice. I prefer the KP for birds, for example.
TBF that's still a Pentax camera.

If you're using other brands (ie Canon, Fuji, etc) AND also have a K1 Fenwoodian wants to know how it fits in.

Other than a point and shoot (Canon) I'm fully committed to Pentax, at the moment the K1, and will be until it gives me a reason to look elsewhere. I've had a curiosity with a couple Fujis and wouldn't mind borrowing and giving one a try for a day or two, mostly because Chris seems to have settled in with one for portraiture (tho reading between the lines he still preferred his Pentax images if it only had a bigger buffer and faster focus or better yet eye-focus.)

I'm not curious enough to buy a Fuji tho. So far I've not found a reason to invest in another platform when this one has treated me so well especially for the dollars invested.

Last edited by gatorguy; 06-29-2020 at 10:00 AM.
06-29-2020, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I much prefer my K1(upgraded) and of course my 645Z to the other bodies I've used in digital times. I really liked my Oly cameras, especially my E-3---I'll always remember how liberating it felt the first time I used it in a wet snow. I really liked my Sony A850, although the live view was compromised. I liked certain things about my A7R---I liked the ability to choose a focus peaking color, so wish Pentax would do this!---and I liked its "night vision" -like gain in the EVF.

But overall I like the K1 and Z cameras much better. In fact, on that last score the A7R amazed me, and I thought I'd miss that capability going back to OVF's, but I haven't. It had its moments of real convenience, though (a big personal project of mine requires shooting in the dark...).

At work we have Canon and Nikon cameras. Not keen on them.

06-29-2020, 01:48 PM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
......Do you prefer your Pentax K-1 to your other non-Pentax cameras? .....
What's a non-Pentax camera ?

06-29-2020, 02:39 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I don't think my limited brain could cope with shooting multiple systems.
06-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Oh, well there's that too.

06-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Your signature confirms that a fair bit of your brain is “Limited”.
06-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a Sony A6000 for a couple years, it did some things very well like shooting lots of frames per second and it 25MP image quality was about equivalent to the K-50. I had trouble shooting at night with it, more because of missing a dedicated wheel for aperture and shutter speed (choose one). And the EVF was OK, but it can't match a Pentax OVF. The Sony's small size was convenient, but only one lens I had was small and worth using (20/2.8), a 30 macro was good but too long physically, the other lenses I had kept it from being compact. Then when I got the KP I rarely ever picked it up since the KP just blew it away.
06-29-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There's other cameras?
06-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
What's a non-Pentax camera ?

+1 from me!
06-29-2020, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax is not the most advanced of the manufacturers, not every bell & whistle, not supported by the media or the stores....but what it does it does very well...and the K1, 645D/Z does it very well indeed ! Glad to read something positive by a poster who owns multiple systems.

Want to post a sample of what you shot with the lens/camera?
06-30-2020, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like a lot of us here I've accumulated (and still doing so) a extensive range of Pentax cameras and lenses to take photographs. I'm sure other brands are out there that also take photographs, but for me I doubt they'll take 'em any better. And what's 'better' anyway? This is not a fanboy/girl just a pragmatic and particularly, an economic one.

Personally, I have a built in blocking system that automatically shuts out adverts, even getting irritated when one seeps past me. I've found this has saved my a ton of money and time. A recent survey in the UK suggested men keep there underwear for over 5 years and many for over 20 - yes! My wife groaned when she saw this, but I bet she rather likes the idea I've hung onto my Pentax gear. Why waste stuff? I get a kick when I dig around in the store/shed/garage and find a 'scrap' item that now fixes something.

I wonder how our underwear drawers and sheds correlate with being loyal Pentax users ...? :-)
06-30-2020, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #14
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I wonder how our underwear drawers and sheds correlate with being loyal Pentax users ...? :-)
There's a Phd in that if you can do the research and answer the question scientifically
06-30-2020, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
Pentax is not the most advanced of the manufacturers, not every bell & whistle, not supported by the media or the stores....but what it does it does very well...and the K1, 645D/Z does it very well indeed ! Glad to read something positive by a poster who owns multiple systems.

Want to post a sample of what you shot with the lens/camera?
I think what you mean is that Ricoh is as advanced as any other camera manufacturer, but they choose to use a few less advanced technologies, in order to meet their product and pricing objectives. The AF system, image processor and USB interface are examples here.

On the other hand, some of their technologies are more advanced than others’, including IBIS and associated features.

If media reviewers were doing their jobs, they’d lay out comparative features of competing systems in an objective fashion, rather than the subjective Pros and Cons that seems to be the norm there. Sales people will promote what they have in store. Many Pentax distributors could do worse than emulate what the Australian one does.

More on topic, there are many of us who shoot different brands and systems, but it’s only in threads like this one that the comparative virtues are detailed, and then in a subjective fashion. Adam could possibly look at a framework for comparative commentary, just as he’s provided for Pentax lenses and bodies.