Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
File Structure

Evening,

Firstly, I know this will have been asked before and I'm sure the answer is out there but I can't find it!

I've been out tonight for my first proper hike with my lovely new K-1 and I was shooting to RAW on one card and JPEG on the other....aren't JPEGs rubbish! Anyway, when I got home I found that instead of having one folder on each of tonight's shoot, I've got about 20 separate folders. I was shooting lots of composite images of lovely waterfalls and things like that, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary or beneficial to have them stored in separate folders? Perhaps it's the only way to keep to individual shots of a composite image together. Is there any way to simplify the structure from a day's shoot though?

Thanks

07-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osbourne one-nil Quote
Evening,

Firstly, I know this will have been asked before and I'm sure the answer is out there but I can't find it!

I've been out tonight for my first proper hike with my lovely new K-1 and I was shooting to RAW on one card and JPEG on the other....aren't JPEGs rubbish! Anyway, when I got home I found that instead of having one folder on each of tonight's shoot, I've got about 20 separate folders. I was shooting lots of composite images of lovely waterfalls and things like that, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary or beneficial to have them stored in separate folders? Perhaps it's the only way to keep to individual shots of a composite image together. Is there any way to simplify the structure from a day's shoot though?

Thanks
Don't turn your camera off?
I also think there's an applicable menu setting but I've not had mine all that long either so i'd need to look, then probably look again.
07-06-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

aren't JPEGs rubbish!
Not understanding this statement. JPEGs from the K1 are exceptionally good.

I shoot raw exclusively and produce TIFFs and JPEGs from those raw files. As all my output whether for the web or for printing is produced in the end in JPEG format, I take the opposite view, JPEGs are fantastic.
07-06-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes - it will correlate to the camera turning off. I could change the setting...the battery seems pretty robust and I got the battery grip thrown in when I bought it (I've loaded it with Lithium AA batteries as a back-up). That would be a way round I guess.

07-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

I shoot raw exclusively and produce TIFFs and JPEGs from those raw files. As all my output whether for the web or for printing is produced in the end in JPEG format, I take the opposite view, JPEGs are fantastic.
I'd generally agree, K1 jpegs are actually nicely processed. Up until this camera I would not have bothered with them and wouldn't now except I've unintentionally imported a lot of them seeing as i now have a two-card option and don't pay attention which card I inserted for LR.
Pleasantly surprised really, but I'm still a shooter in the RAW. :0 I prefer to alter my own images. That's half the enjoyment. It not just about the destination.
07-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-1 puts 500 photos in one folder before it creates a new folder. It does not make a new folder every time i turn it off and on. Perhaps there is a setting for that, but I don't recall that I have changed the default setting.
07-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
My K-1 puts 500 photos in one folder before it creates a new folder. It does not make a new folder every time i turn it off and on. Perhaps there is a setting for that, but I don't recall that I have changed the default setting.
Well at least one of us must have changed something in settings.

07-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Hmmmm - I directly compared the RAW and the JPEG from the camera in Photoshop and was surprised to see how much more resolution there was in the RAW image. Maybe I've set the JPEG to a lower setting? I'll have a check.

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
I'd much prefer that, or one folder per calendar day. I shall read the manual fully when (if) I get to bed tonight.
07-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmmm - I directly compared the RAW and the JPEG from the camera in Photoshop and was surprised to see how much more resolution there was in the RAW image. Maybe I've set the JPEG to a lower setting? I'll
Resolution is the same for both, 7360x4912 pixels.

As a test process a raw file using the ACR Pentax profile the same as you have set in your camera (natural, bright etc). Then point out why the JPEG from the camera is inferior to the JPEG from Adobe Camera Raw. For most average scenes they should be identical

---------- Post added 07-07-20 at 12:34 AM ----------

I found that instead of having one folder on each of tonight's shoot, I've got about 20 separate folders
Interval shooting will create a new folder for each session of pictures.
07-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I’ll try that but I wouldn’t read too much into what I said. It was based on zooming in on the JPEG output and the RAW output and I simply saw much more detail in the RAW. It was just a throwaway comment. Still, I’d be interested to do as you suggest.

As for the file structure, that is as I suspected and I guess makes sense. I don’t think I’ll be using that feature as often as I did tonight but it worked a treat and, I think, means I won’t be getting an ND filter any time soon.

I can’t wait for the dark nights to return so I can try the camera’s Astrotracer capabilities.
07-06-2020, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

K1 manual, p 105
A maximum of 500 images can be stored in a single folder.
When the number of captured images exceeds 500, a new folder is created with the number following the number of the folder currently being used. When the drive mode is set to [Bracketing], images are stored in the same folder until shooting is completed.

I'm assuming you didn't have 500 images in each folder!?

Otherwise, I can see no way to make it do what you report, unless you are somehow selecting "Create New Folder" (Spanner 3 menu) each time to turn it on, which seems very unlikely.
07-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
K1 manual, p 105
A maximum of 500 images can be stored in a single folder.
When the number of captured images exceeds 500, a new folder is created with the number following the number of the folder currently being used. When the drive mode is set to [Bracketing], images are stored in the same folder until shooting is completed.

I'm assuming you didn't have 500 images in each folder!?

Otherwise, I can see no way to make it do what you report, unless you are somehow selecting "Create New Folder" (Spanner 3 menu) each time to turn it on, which seems very unlikely.
Mine also loads a new folder every startup. I may or may not get into the menu tonite.
07-06-2020, 09:36 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Mine also loads a new folder every startup. I may or may not get into the menu tonite.
It's a known bug caused by GPS corruption. Follow the fix here.
07-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Evening,

Thanks
I'm a bit confused by your statement that you have 20 folders. My K-1 creates a folder for each day, and that days shots go into that folder. If shooting is done the next day, those files will be in a new folder. I believe this happens even if the camera is not turned off (new folder at midnight). I was unaware that each folder has a limit of 500 files since I have never shot that many in a single day so that was something I learned in this thread.

If you want to group shots from a single day, you would need to pop the card into a computer and create sub folders and drop the files in those, but the K-1 will only provide grouping-by-day folders - mine did that from the git-go after I first got my K-1 without my changing any menu items.

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-06-2020 at 10:38 PM.
07-07-2020, 12:06 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Morning all - thanks for the feedback. GPS hasn't been set up or activated on the camera yet so I'm not sure it could be that. I understand why a new folder might be set-up for each set of composite photos, but the structure actually shows a new folder being created each time the camera was turned on. It must be in the settings.

The camera has been updated to the latest firmware.

It's not a big deal...just a little irritant, but then I'm very irritable!
Attached Images