Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2020, 01:51 AM   #1

K1-II Issues with the Sensor?

Hi,

on my last trip, two days ago, I noticed some strange artifacts on some images, but really only on a few of them. The artifacts look a little like dust on the sensor, but I checked the sensor and could not detect what could cause this issues.
Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

I attached two sample photos and a sensor dust check photo.

The sample photo is shot at F7.1 and the sensor check at F11.

I really hope, that my camera is not defect, hmm, wouldn't be that great if I have to send it in for repairs.

Many thanks in advance

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
07-13-2020, 02:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,

Have you tried replicating these artefacts with another lens?
07-13-2020, 02:07 AM   #3

Original Poster
No, I only had one lens with me, so I couldn't change the lens.
07-13-2020, 02:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Scratch on lens or UFO...

07-13-2020, 02:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hmm, ok. There's one thing I forgot to mention: I used a polarization filter. Maybe the filter had some dirt.

But I thought, scratches on filter do not appear if they are small and dirt on lenses should not be a problem either? Maybe I'm wrong here.
07-13-2020, 02:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I could have been something larger like a bit of hair, that have already fallen off the sensor.
Pentax ultrasonic sensor cleaning at startup is really effective in my experience.

Do you see the dust if you capture new images?

I doubt it is anything on the lens or filter, as that would not appear this sharp on the images.
07-13-2020, 02:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
I made the sensor check a day after my hiking trip and there was nothing to see on the pictures. To be sure, I used a dust blower and checked the sensor again with a test shot at F11 and F22. No hair or anything which could cause such artifacts are visible on the pictures. A few minutes ago, I tested it by taking a picture of the sky and also nothing. Maybe you are right and the hair or whatever it was, is gone by now. I hope so.

For me, it does not really look like a defect of the camera.
07-13-2020, 03:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would just slap another lens on there (without any filters) and take a photo of the bright blue sky once more and have a look through.

All the best

07-13-2020, 03:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
Ok, then this will be my plan after lunch and I'm reporting back here in the evening .
07-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #10

Original Poster
I was out for a short photo tour and saw the problem once again. But I tried different combinations and it seems that my polarization filter is the cause of the problem. Only photos shot with the filter mounted, show such artifacts and others like white points in the blue sky.
Maybe I should order a new filter for my lenses.

The other ones, shot without the filter and different lenses, are clean. No issues there.

Thanks for your answer.

I wonder how a defective filter can have such visible issues anyway.
07-13-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There can be some atmospheric phenomenon which show only in polarized light (faded jet contrails perhaps). Just a thought. Next time you see them, check out the artifacts in Liveview and see if rotating your polarizer makes any difference?? Move the camera slightly and see if they stay in the same location.
07-13-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don’t question how your filter is showing faults. Just be thankful that you can now justify an upgrade

Glad it’s all sorted. All the very best.
Dave