Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2020, 04:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 accident

I had my 300mm f/4 lens attached to the K-1 when it fell from a luggage cart about 18 inches and landed on concrete. There was no apparent damage to either, but the camera does not communicate with any of my lenses now and they do not click or lock when I put them on the camera. The camera still works but there is no auto-focus, light meter, or control of lens aperture.

Can I fix it? Or should I get it fixed and by who?

07-13-2020, 05:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Botanizer Quote
I had my 300mm f/4 lens attached to the K-1 when it fell from a luggage cart about 18 inches and landed on concrete. There was no apparent damage to either, but the camera does not communicate with any of my lenses now and they do not click or lock when I put them on the camera. The camera still works but there is no auto-focus, light meter, or control of lens aperture.

This may help if your looking for info on the mount, may have depressed a contact?

Features and Operation of the KAF2 Mount | The K-Mount Page

Service Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

Good luck!
07-13-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The obvious first question is:

Do you have any other lenses to test with the the k1?
07-13-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like a mount issue. Take a careful look at the mount to see if it is still correctly attached to the camera. The screws should be seated and the mount tight to the camera body all around.

07-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #5

Yes, either the mount on the camera or lens or both is possibly damaged. Testing with another lens would help determine what the case is.
07-13-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

is it under warranty if so, there is one authorized company in the US

Precision Camera - Digital Camera Repair, Video Camera Repair

otherwise, there are the options in the US:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Read more at: Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

follow link for active links to the company

I have used Photronic here in Topeka

http://www.phototronictopeka.com/

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-13-2020 at 12:53 PM.
07-13-2020, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The obvious first question is:

Do you have any other lenses to test with the the k1?
Yes, the camera does not communicate with any of my lenses now (Pentax 300mm, Pentax 35mm macro, and Sigma 24mm macro) and they do not click or lock when I put them on the camera. The camera still works but there is no auto-focus, light meter, or control of lens aperture.

Read more at: K-1 accident - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 07-13-20 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Yes, either the mount on the camera or lens or both is possibly damaged. Testing with another lens would help determine what the case is.
I tested it with my other modern lenses and the camera does not communicate with the Pentax 35mm macro or the Sigma 24mm macro lenses now and they do not click or lock when I put them on the camera. The camera still works but there is no auto-focus, light meter, or control of lens aperture.

Read more at: K-1 accident - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 07-13-20 at 01:35 PM ----------

I tried tightening the mount screws like you suggested (two were loose) and scratched the contacts a little bit. It is working again!! The Sigma 24mm macro and Pentax 35mm macro are fully functional. The 300mm that was on the camera when it fell does not have consistent aperture control yet.

Thanks everyone!!

07-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm relieved you got everything locking into place!

One extra recommendation now that you're up and running again - take a few of your lenses and check PDAF accuracy through the viewfinder (not via Live View). I had a K-1 take some fall damage, and it survived too but knocked the AF out of alignment and beyond the ability for AF Fine Tuning to correct for. Missed focus on a TON of shots until I figured out what was happening.

Had to send it to Precision for them to re-calibrate the PDAF.
07-15-2020, 11:29 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The auto-focus seems to be OK. I took this hand held photo using the viewfinder yesterday.
Attached Images

07-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would send the camera (and the lens) to a repair shop. It does not require huge impact to bend the camera mount slightly and after that it will not be parallel to the sensor. Results may (and often do) look like decentered lens issue. And this will make the camera a bad case for evaluating new lens purchases whether they are okay or not.
07-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

All lenses should work, if others work and the 300 doesn't it may be the 300 that's defective. In all the drops I've had where a Camera and lens were dropped, (2 DA*60-250 K-5 and a 21ltd, and DA 55-300 PLM and K-3 drop, it was the lens that was damaged, not the K-3 or K-5.
07-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Botanizer Quote

Do you have household contents insurance? If so, and if your excess is low, you may be able to have most of the repair cost covered by your insurance, at realitively low cost to you. I did that when my K-1ii got damaged during a recent trip.
07-20-2020, 06:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think tightening the two camera mount screws took care of that problem.

The 300mm aperture control does not work without trying to flex the lens downward on the camera. The other lenses seem to be working just fine, but I did not test anything like corner sharpness. I may send the lens to a shop.
07-20-2020, 06:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, you could check for corner sharpness with all known good lenses you have. With the same effort, you can then ship the camera body to the repair shop as well if you have consistently bad corners with all lenses.