Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Problem using a shutter release cable on my K1-II.

I was out shooting comet NEOWISE last night and there were problems using a Vello remote cable release. In bulb mode when I press the cable release there is about a 1 second delay before the exposure sequence starts. This does not happen when I press the shutter release on the camera.

This morning I was comparing it with my K1. On my K1 there is no shutter release delay. I have two cables and they both work the same on both cameras. Just that nagging delay on the K1-II that I cannot find a reason for. I have done a side by side comparison of al the menu settings and see no difference there.

If I set the bulb mode so that it takes one button actuation to start the exposure and another to stop it then both the K1 and K1-II end the exposure as soon as the cable release button is depressed the second time.

When I got the Vello cable release I got a second one as a spare. I have only used these last several years one so the second one is essentially new. This has me stumped. Have I missed something? I even read the manual along with comparing all the settings between the two cameras.

Any ideas here?

07-18-2020, 07:29 AM   #2
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems to me that there's an option for "remote" under the shutter control sub-menu. That thing that pops up when you push the button on the circular non-joystick on the back of the camera that gives you the option of picking a delay, etc. I wonder whether selecting that option would make any difference.
07-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Seems to me that there's an option for "remote" under the shutter control sub-menu. That thing that pops up when you push the button on the circular non-joystick on the back of the camera that gives you the option of picking a delay, etc. I wonder whether selecting that option would make any difference.
Tried it but no change. Thanks. Just has me scratching my head. But then again, a lot of things today have me scratching my head.
07-25-2020, 04:17 AM   #4
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I've got the same Vello remote buttons, and I found I had trouble with 'em because the sliding locking gizmo kept ooching forward under pressure from my thumb. Purely mechanical interference. I put the gizmo in completely unlocked mode and shoved some "plastic welder" epoxy at the forward end in the cavity the gizmo slides into, effectively permanently obviating the locking function (which I never use anyway) but eliminating the interference.