Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

astrotracer problem

Hello - some assistance please with astrotracer [new to this feature].

I am pretty sure I had this all set to work:

BULB, turn on GPS, Turn on AT, Calibrate AT. Turn on the compass screen.

It either is not working or I am missing something.

The little satellite icon stays red. It will not turn green as indicated. I have started the process over several times... no green icon.

Also, the camera will not shoot. When I depress the shutter button, nothing happens. The screen goes out, the GPS light goes out.

Can someone help me get the satellite icon to turn green?

thanks a bunch! dw

07-19-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
what camera?
07-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

try turning on gps and wait for green acquisition on a standard display.....once acquired 'green' then proceed to bulb, AT and fine calibration

maybe a weak battery? and sees unlikely the compass screen would affect things as thats what it all about.......
07-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #4

Apologies if stating the obvious but just confirming that you are outside with clear view to plenty of sky? I find satellite acquisition usually takes less than a minute. Cheers!

07-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Also, if you are in an area that might have significant electrical interference, you might not be able to get a satellite signal. Best if used where there's less "electronic junk" in the area like the country or an open area away from cell towers, radio transmitters (towers), industrial areas that might have lots of wireless coms, etc.
07-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
K1.........

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
what camera?

---------- Post added 07-19-20 at 02:22 PM ----------

Thanks for the reply. no-go.. The icon stays red, be I am inside or outside

dw

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
try turning on gps and wait for green acquisition on a standard display.....once acquired 'green' then proceed to bulb, AT and fine calibration

maybe a weak battery? and sees unlikely the compass screen would affect things as thats what it all about.......
07-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dr5chrome Quote
no-go.. The icon stays red, be I am inside or outside
dang thats not encouraging news.....hope it's a setting overlooked and not a malfunction or something broke.......

doubtful it's a firmware thing but maybe try a factory reset ??? sorry at a loss......
07-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are turning on the GPS engine via the small button to the right of the viewfonder hump? Many people do not do this and there is no way you will acquire satellite signal without it.

07-19-2020, 06:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I got it. Took the suggest to get away from buildings.. Turned on finally. :-)) Thanks!
07-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I think I got it. Took the suggest to get away from buildings.. Turned on finally.
good deal !
07-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think I got it. Took the suggest to get away from buildings.. Turned on finally. :-)) Thanks!
Glad you got it working. Sometimes, reflections from buildings will confuse the GPS system (phase issues with the signal - can be bad for WiFi too), so happy you found yours working - now to try it out on the real thing...................good shooting!