Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
07-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Your approach makes a lot of sense actually. Living where I do I can head into the Dales or Lakes whenever I want within reason so perhaps just do that and if I miss something, oh well...go another day!

07-24-2020, 03:40 AM   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A good backpack is essential. . . .
so true, I'm no expert but I have learned some things to look for:

QuoteQuote:
when ever I buy a back pack I first look for features that makes the pack useful for carrying any type of load such as

(1) hip strap: The majority of a backpack's weight, 80 percent or more, should be supported by your hips.;

(2) Load Lifter Straps: These are stitched into the top of the shoulder straps, and they connect to the top of the pack frame. Ideally, they will form a 45° angle between your shoulder straps and the pack. Kept snug (but not too tight), they prevent the upper portion of a pack from pulling away from your body, which would cause the pack to sag on your lumbar region and

(3) Sternum Strap: This mid-chest strap allows you to connect your shoulder straps, which can boost your stability. It can be useful to do so when traveling on uneven cross-country terrain where an awkward move could cause your pack to shift abruptly and throw you off-balance.

then I look for special features for the expected use of the back pack: in this one, the interior has the loop and hook dividers so you can personalize the interior as you choose, multiple external attachment points and pockets, a " rain " cover and a separate padded section for a lap top or something else

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/ruggard-thunderhead-75-dslr-am...#ixzz6T6jLApEk
07-24-2020, 04:16 AM   #33
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by osbourne one-nil Quote
Your approach makes a lot of sense actually. Living where I do I can head into the Dales or Lakes whenever I want within reason so perhaps just do that and if I miss something, oh well...go another day!
But, you have to caveat my approach with the fact I'm not really a landscape photographer so if that's what you want to do I'd pay more attention to those who are. Mine is a kind of halfway house approach.

I did once head up to Cwm Idwal after consulting the Ephemeris. When I got there I found I'd completely misread the Ephemeris and the sun was behind me not in front. I've since learned to read an Ephemeris!
07-24-2020, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oops! I had that once walking down Murton Pike in the Pennines and managed to catch it with my Blackberry....it was a while back!

I'm not a landscape photographer either though really. I am a hiker who likes photography. I'd much rather see the view for myself and not photograph it than miss it because I didn't fancy carrying anything. It's about finding the balance.

07-24-2020, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, I'll chime in and say that it's all about the pack and the straps. Unless you're loading up with a lot of other stuff, I would think that your weight would be 9kg or less. A good pack carries that very comfortably, especially if you are not in a hot climate. Heat and humidity make even sitting still miserable.

On the tripod front, I highly recommend Acratech ballheads---best grip for the weight. Not cheap, but very durable.
The legs....I have an older model Feisol 3224, which had the best combo of compact/weight/height. But with a lightweight tripod, in windy situations you've just got to weight the tripod, either with a fillable weight bag or with the pack. And this is very important: whatever is used for weight MUST be in contact with the ground!

Love the Dales, btw.
07-24-2020, 09:44 AM - 3 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

We haven't done real hike in years, we walk through the bush all the time. My preferred kit is the K-1, DA 55-300 PLM and DA 28-105. That covers pretty much everything. IF I think they might be needed I'll bring the DA* 55 1.4 and 100 macro as well as the 1.4x TC. I have light weight tripods as well, but rarely bring one on a longer hike.

We did do a 19 day canoe trip, which is different from hiking in that most of the time the gear is in the boat, we aren't carrying it. But we do carry the camera gear up to 4 km a day, along with the rest of our stuff.

Lots more info here.
A few shots from our 19 Day summer canoe trip, and a link to Tess's trip report. - PentaxForums.com
07-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We did do a 19 day canoe trip, which is different from hiking in that most of the time the gear is in the boat, we aren't carrying it. But we do carry the camera gear up to 4 km a day, along with the rest of our stuff.

Lots more info here.
A few shots from our 19 Day summer canoe trip, and a link to Tess's trip report. - PentaxForums.com
Gosh I miss northern ponds. Here in Florida seems anything bigger than an acre gets named as a "Lake something". Moosehead is a lake. Big and Little Wilson are ponds. Those familiar with Maine know.

Wonderfully calm photos of yours Norm. Where's that waterfall btw?

07-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #38

I just finished my second Mt. Whitney backpacking trip (this one was 3 days and a slightly more relaxed pace, the prior was the same route in 2 days) with the K-1, three primes, and a sirui t-2205x tripod with RRS-bh25 ballhead. Camera gear total is ~10lbs once I add in an extra battery, polarizer, ND... Total pack weight usually between 40 and 55lbs, depending on how long I'm going for, how much water I need to carry, and how long each day of hiking is.

Most of the time I'll take 3 primes, If I'm trying to limit weight, I'll drop one of the heavy ones primes. I used to carry the dfa24-70, but I find myself enjoying using the primes more. I usually carry one fast wide-angle, and one long macro as my primary use-cases. The wide-angle varies depending on if I am expecting a good night sky, and the macro lives on the body ~all day. Then I throw in the 40xs because it's almost negligable and then I at least have something in the middle, but don't commonly use it. I just picked up a TC, so I'll probably start packing that for a bit of extra reach atop the long macro without needing to carry my 150-450 on overnights.

But I've also gone backpacking with a 6x7 kit, so maybe I'm not a good source of advice...?
07-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We haven't done real hike in years, we walk through the bush all the time. My preferred kit is the K-1, DA 55-300 PLM and DA 28-105. That covers pretty much everything. IF I think they might be needed I'll bring the DA* 55 1.4 and 100 macro as well as the 1.4x TC. I have light weight tripods as well, but rarely bring one on a longer hike.

Lots more info here.
When I was a lot younger I routinely carried a (starting weight) 65 lb. backpack for ten days in the San Juan and Sangre de Cristo mountains in SW Colorado and NC New Mexico. I also did one 10-day paddle and portage trek in the Quetico Provincial Park. We were three to a canoe and the two packs were 60lb. and 80lb. The canoe was a HD Grumman aluminum that weighed 88lb. I recall the longest portage was 220 rods or around 3/5 mile and I always portaged the canoe.

Back then with a good camera backpack I would have sneezed at K-1, batteries, solar charger (we had them but they weren’t anything like today’s rollable panels), FA*80-200/2.8, DFA 24-70/2.8 and the three FA Limiteds, plus a carbon monopod and aluminum tripod.

Today - not so much, but that’s what I carry for general photo hiking. I just don’t get to 12,000 feet or 10 miles in with all that gear.

Maybe 2 miles and flat. Woof.
07-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots more info here.
Last time I hike in Algonquin part (Norm's neighborhood) I brought a K3, and two zooms. We had all our gear, hiking from site to site. I think you'd could easily get used to more gear, but I'm glad I didn't have more stuff hanging off my back that trip. Norm can attest, the hills just keep going up and down out there.
07-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #41
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm not sure I like ball heads and would actually prefer a geared head, particularly at night as it would help frame the shots perfectly, but before I do that I think an L-bracket it a must.

I think Mount Whitney tops anything the UK has to offer by many magnitudes...I'll quit moaning!

I'l still trying to suss out how an APS-C lens like the 55-300 works with full frame cameras. I know the basics but I'm still trying to see if they offer real value for money!
07-24-2020, 06:53 PM - 7 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

This from last weekend. The lake was 2.5 hours one way. The pack weight was 30-35lbs, with the 150-450, K1, 35mm limited, 43 limited, Feisol tripod and gimbal head, plus camp stove, water, some rain gear and the like. Mostly bushwhacking, a bit of trail.

07-24-2020, 07:51 PM   #43
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Ossie

Just use the lens , don't worry about what if.
By the way I have neither.

Dave
07-25-2020, 12:41 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
No and yes......... .. j/k

The Flinders Ranges does have a few colourful birds and great scenery.

Dave
Going back up there on Tuesday.... with the wife and dog this time.
07-25-2020, 01:49 AM - 1 Like   #45
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Going back up there on Tuesday.... with the wife and dog this time.
I'll wave as you go past heading north..

Dave