Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2020, 06:17 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo series at different shutter speeds

Recently, there was some discussion of shutter shock so I thought I'd have a go and see what the results are when shooting on tripod, SR off, at a wide range of shutter speeds. No sharpening in Lightroom or tweaking in Photoshop. All shot RAW, with jpg conversion using Adobe RAW in Lightroom. Aperture adjusted to suit, with ISO adjusted only minorly to suit.

First photo, shutter speed 1/10: First, the image scaled to fit:

Full size crop of the centre of the photo, 1200x800 pixels, here reproduced without any scaling, 1/10.

Posting crops only from here on in - 1/15.

1/20

1/30

1/45

1/60

1/90

1/125

1/180

1/250

1/350

1/500

1/750

1/1000

1/1500

1/2000

1/3000

1/4000

1/6000

1/8000

The album contains both crops and full size views and if anyone wants to see the original RAW files, let me know.

For me, the sweet spot seems to be from about 1/125 or 1/180 and faster. I will try with another sturdier tripod too, just to make sure there's no tripod issues with the slower speeds. If I'm being overly critical, then 1/250 does look better to me than 1/125, but I don't know if that's because of shutter shock or tripod stability.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 07-28-2020 at 06:42 PM.
07-28-2020, 06:42 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. I suppose the aperture may have varied widely, and that can cause sharpness variations as well.
07-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Interesting. I suppose the aperture may have varied widely, and that can cause sharpness variations as well.
Correct! Aperture varies from f/32 to f/5.6. The 1/125 shot is at aperture f/16, the 1/250 shot is at aperture f/11 and the 1/350 at f/8. I actually have 2 different f stop shots for 1/250:

This 1/250 shot is f/9.5

And this 1/250 shot is f/11

07-28-2020, 07:07 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are shooting with your K-1ii (full-frame), for apertures smaller than about f/11, diffraction will be affecting resolution. For APS-C, smaller than f/8 starts to show diffraction effects (independent of lens focal length, contrary to claims by some gurus!).

07-28-2020, 07:27 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Lens design should also come into play. The resonance will differ like strings on an instrument. One might shock at 1/20 another at 1/90.
07-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
If you are shooting with your K-1ii (full-frame), for apertures smaller than about f/11, diffraction will be affecting resolution. For APS-C, smaller than f/8 starts to show diffraction effects (independent of lens focal length, contrary to claims by some gurus!).
Yes, I suspect that has played more of a role in these shots than any "shutter shock". In fact, I'm not seeing evidence of "shutter shock" at all, but then I'm not sure what to look for!
07-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Lens design should also come into play. The resonance will differ like strings on an instrument. One might shock at 1/20 another at 1/90.
Right! So, next steps are to repeat this experiment with some wildly different lenses. One's work never stops!

07-28-2020, 07:37 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe reshoot with neutral density filters to keep the aperture constant.
07-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Maybe reshoot with neutral density filters to keep the aperture constant.
Arrrghhghhhh!!!! I knew someone was going to suggest that!

But then, the filters may degrade the image and we're back where we started. I suspect a better solution may be to shoot the same scene under different lighting conditions.
07-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Arrrghhghhhh!!!! I knew someone was going to suggest that!

But then, the filters may degrade the image and we're back where we started. I suspect a better solution may be to shoot the same scene under different lighting conditions.
You could use several lighting conditions or flash? You could baseline with different filters etc. It was already a good set of shots just adding more ideas.
07-28-2020, 07:46 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I will try with another sturdier tripod too, just to make sure there's no tripod issues with the slower speeds.
May I ask what tripod, lens, and focal length? The reports of shutter shock on this site implicate certain lenses, IIRC.

I was going to do a similar study this last fall using a high contrast target intended for tripod testing, but ill health intervened and I was unable to finish the task.

Steve
07-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You could use several lighting conditions or flash? You could baseline with different filters etc. It was already a good set of shots just adding more ideas.
I'm hoping to add as few elements into the mix as possible. Doing it under artificial light of varying intensity is probably going to be the best option. I'd like to not introduce filters so as to have the purest image possible.
07-28-2020, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
May I ask what tripod, lens, and focal length? The reports of shutter shock on this site implicate certain lenses, IIRC.

I was going to do a similar study this last fall using a high contrast target intended for tripod testing, but ill health intervened and I was unable to finish the task.

Steve
Sure thing Steve. Photos all in this album: MarkJerling's Album: Test shots - PentaxForums.com
Lens is a brand spanking new Pentax SMC F 35-105mm F4-5.6.

Tripod used was this one: Zomei Z-818 Tripod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database Very sturdy so long as I don't use the last (thinnest) leg extensions. I may try this next with my super sturdy tripod.
07-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You could use several lighting conditions or flash?
I thought about flash too, except that HSS would be problematic, thus limiting the study to sync speed at max...or perhaps not. I did a silly experiment some time ago using one of my speedlights at maximum duration as optical slave to an HSS flash as master behind a blind. The master did not contribute and the duration of the slave was long enough to provide constant light over the full curtain travel time.

Steve
07-28-2020, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K1 with the 28-105 lens mounted on it is like the perfect storm. Here is a shot from a few years ago at Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone. The first shot is the uncropped image. The second shot is heavily cropped. You can see how bad it is on my K1. 1/100 sec at F10. Focal length was 53 mm. Interestingly enough my initial shots with the same camera in the same place a year earlier do not have the effect. It started after several hundred photos taken. I have a lot of photos form this trip with the same problem. At that time i had never heard of the issue. My K1-II seems not to suffer from the problem. Whenever possible I avoid the shutter speeds that have it and use LV with electronic shutter if I really need to use those speeds. Shake reduction is off.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by gaweidert; 07-28-2020 at 08:30 PM.