Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question about compatibility of APSC-designed lenses with K-1

Greetings; new member here, but four-decades-long Pentax owner, both film and APS-C digital, with about a dozen Pentax lenses.
I recently bought the Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8 Limited zoom, but the Ricoh/Pentax website says that it's an APS-C lens (vs. the DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, which it says is designed for FF cameras as well as APS-C). I'm planning to buy a K1 II camera soon, and am wondering what happens when one of these APSC-designed lenses is put on the K1. What problems are there? thanks for the patience, as I'm sure this has come up previously in this forum (but I didn't find it in a quick search)..

07-31-2020, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!
It will vignette (i.e. your corners will be black or you will see a black circle surrounding the image). You can avoid this by using the crop mode.
07-31-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
Closed Account

Welcome aboard. The link below will answer most of your questions........................................I hope.

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
07-31-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

As far as I know, by default the camera will use up to 15MP downsampling when cropping APS-C when DA lenses are connected. Optionally, you can enable the use of the entire sensor area.
I heard SMC PENTAX DA 50MM F / 1.8 seems to be without vignette. While this may not be the case..

Last edited by Martin Stu; 07-31-2020 at 09:26 PM.
07-31-2020, 09:51 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See also this article for tests of each DA lens:

Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2020, 05:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the end , if the image looks good, you've found a good lens.
I own a K-1, but use the DA 21, DA 40 LTD , DA 40 LTD, and DA 18-135 regularly, and often without using crop mode, because the vignetting is minimal to nonexistent with those lenses, and I usually compose knowing I will crop in post.
08-01-2020, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
Greetings; new member here, but four-decades-long Pentax owner, both film and APS-C digital, with about a dozen Pentax lenses.
I recently bought the Pentax DA 20-40mm f/2.8 Limited zoom, but the Ricoh/Pentax website says that it's an APS-C lens (vs. the DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, which it says is designed for FF cameras as well as APS-C). I'm planning to buy a K1 II camera soon, and am wondering what happens when one of these APSC-designed lenses is put on the K1. What problems are there? thanks for the patience, as I'm sure this has come up previously in this forum (but I didn't find it in a quick search)..
@BruceBanner showed some images and commented on using this lens in K-1 FF mode. You may look for these posts.

08-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum cometguy. Have you been able to catch a glimpse of Neowise? Members have posted some great shots.
08-02-2020, 12:22 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Welcome to the forum cometguy. Have you been able to catch a glimpse of Neowise? Members have posted some great shots.
Yes, I've been able to see the comet on numerous nights. I only have a K10D (but am getting a K-1 Mk II soon) so I don't have the astrotracker feature and I just bought an iOptron ProGuider Pro clockdrive to mount my camera on (but it arrived in bright moonlight so haven't had a chance yet to really test it -- though it tracks stars well (I've tested it in moonlight, but no good pics of the comet).
Attached is a photo that I took of the comet before moonlight, perhaps 10 days ago, taken with my K10D camera and my DA 12-24-mm f/4 lens on a tripod (no tracking), exposure 20 seconds wide open; this photo is interesting because I caught a meteor up near the bowl of the Big Dipper, as well as the comet just above the central tree (taken overlooking the Atlantic Ocean from Gloucester, Massachusetts).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by cometguy; 08-02-2020 at 01:18 PM.
08-02-2020, 11:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice, @cometguy . You'll find that on the K-1 that DA12-24 works from 17mm onward.

BTW, if you still use your film cameras, that's a good way to test your lenses for yourself.
08-03-2020, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice, @cometguy . You'll find that on the K-1 that DA12-24 works from 17mm onward.

BTW, if you still use your film cameras, that's a good way to test your lenses for yourself.
I do still use my LX occasionally. So the K-1 sensor is supposed to be the same size as the area exposed on 35-mm film?
08-03-2020, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I do still use my LX occasionally. So the K-1 sensor is supposed to be the same size as the area exposed on 35-mm film?
Yes the full frame sensor is the same size as the slr negative

QuoteQuote:
Sensor Size 35.9 x 24.0 mm (35mm full frame)
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-1-review/specifications.html#ixzz6U5p7h4mU

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-03-2020 at 02:25 PM.
08-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I've been able to see the comet on numerous nights. I only have a K10D (but am getting a K-1 Mk II soon) so I don't have the astrotracker feature and I just bought an iOptron ProGuider Pro clockdrive to mount my camera on (but it arrived in bright moonlight so haven't had a chance yet to really test it -- though it tracks stars well (I've tested it in moonlight, but no good pics of the comet).
Attached is a photo that I took of the comet before moonlight, perhaps 10 days ago, taken with my K10D camera and my DA 12-24-mm f/4 lens on a tripod (no tracking), exposure 20 seconds wide open; this photo is interesting because I caught a meteor up near the bowl of the Big Dipper, as well as the comet just above the central tree (taken overlooking the Atlantic Ocean from Gloucester, Massachusetts).
re: Your review of the DA 20-40 Ltd, did you update your K10D's firmware to version 1.31?

Pentax K10D and HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR - Compatibility | PentaxForums.com

Downloads - Ricoh
08-16-2020, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What I don't get is that the pixel size in the KP is 61% smaller than the pixel size in the K-1. That means better resolution in the KP than in the K-1. Why doesn't Pentax use the same pixel size in the K-1, at least? I've not been able to find pixel size in any Ricoh literature or on the Pentax Forums specs for these cameras, so I calculated it myself. In astronomy imaging, pixel size is advertised on all cameras because it is extremely important. So the APS-C crop in the K-1 has lower (worse) resolution by a large amount (1.6x) compared to the full-size APS-C sensor in the KP. I want to know why, in a camera that costs twice as much.

---------- Post added 08-16-20 at 09:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I have not yet had time to update the firmware, but it's on my list (low priority because I rarely use autofocus; I prefer to manually focus). I modified my review to reflect the comments I've received about my lack of autofocus with my non-updated K10D.
08-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That means better resolution in the KP than in the K-1
Sure the KP has more pixels per area than the K1/K1II. But they are two different cameras. I have yet to find the limits of my K1 resolution in 4 years of use. More MP by itself is a goal the major manufacturers stopped chasing a few years ago.

Why doesn't Pentax use the same pixel size in the K-1, at least?
Price. The K3 was released a couple of years before the K1. The K3 had a 24MP sensor. If Pentax were to have made the K1 with the same sensor as the K3, but cut from a larger slice of the "wafer" so as to make it FF, it would have been over 50MP. It would also have been maybe 4 times the price at launch. The bigger the sensor you cut from the "wafer", the more expensive it becomes, and it is not a linear curve. It is an exponential one, due to wastage. The K1 with a launch price of £6,000 would not have been the same camera.