Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2020, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I recall correctly, you were somewhat criticle of the 15-30 and K1 on this forum at the time.... along the lines you have outlined. I think your experience at the time was somewhat at odds with other peoples experience here.... so maybe a bad or defective K1/15-30 could have been your original issue?

I'm still a bit confused as to why you need to move on from your existing canon kit?.... a comparitable K1 kit would seem similar to me.... at least until the nex generation of cameras arrive.

08-08-2020, 03:19 AM   #17
Pentaxian

From your description, it seems that you'll enjoy a K-1 a lot more than the Canon R5.

As @noelpolar, I wonder though, why the Canon 5D Mark IV does not appear to serve your needs.

In terms of weather-sealing, it should also be OK (not sure about the lenses).

The K-1 has inconsequentially more megapixels but its PixelShift feature may be of interest to you. You'd need to use appropriate software (like RawTherapee) to make full use of it, though.

The K-1's composition adjustment feature may also be useful at times, but personally I'd rather move the tripod.

You mentioned "astro" in your second post; of course the K-1's unique astrotracer feature could be a plus then.

Regarding the K-1 II's improved AF: It is only slightly improved with respect to tracking (AF-C). With landscapes and other still subjects, you shouldn't have any trouble with the K-1.
08-08-2020, 04:01 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’d wait a while and be ready of what this new aps-c is going to offer. Meanwhile you can get lenses that you prefer. A lot of great stuff seems to be on it’s way for Pentax system.

What Pentax seems to have on their list for the future is just that experience of real photography.

Some(most) have said that K-1 II does give that extra bit for AF to work more reliably. I’v been tempted to update my K-1, but I can manage with it. I’m hoping to see big improvement in K-1 as it seems to be coming for aps-c flagship. So unless you are in big hurry and money is burning a hole in your pocket, just wait.

R5 seems to be amazing machine, and even it has it’s hickups. But I’d say that if it does not give to you that ’mojo’ why to get it then? Or then try it with RF lenses, but if that computer stuff in your camera does not get you going then that might not do much for you. After all, biggest selling point for R5 is it’s Tecnical wonders packed in one hybrid body. And if you are not drawn to video, which is why it is a hybrid camera, then there is even less reasons to get it.

Hope this helped you!
08-08-2020, 04:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Just get a used GFX 50 r/s. It can adapt most MF lenses and Fuji's own lenses are the cake. Even if the sensor is a bit old it is a step above all FF offerings.

I purchased a used 50R and while it is not ergonomic marvel, it can handle rain & harsh weather easily and just delivers the punch on tripod.

There is no going back from 645Z IQ and the OP knows it

08-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #20
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
If I recall correctly, you were somewhat criticle of the 15-30 and K1 on this forum at the time.... along the lines you have outlined. I think your experience at the time was somewhat at odds with other peoples experience here.... so maybe a bad or defective K1/15-30 could have been your original issue?

I'm still a bit confused as to why you need to move on from your existing canon kit?.... a comparitable K1 kit would seem similar to me.... at least until the nex generation of cameras arrive.
Hi Noel

Hows the snow in the Flinders.

Dave
08-08-2020, 05:27 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Yes, but the OP's description is a little more succinct, I feel

Interesting that that video has generated amongst some die hard mirrorless fans I know, an acknowledgement that Pentax does have a point.
08-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #22
naward001

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Thanks for all the responses. To clear up a few questions below:

- I sold the 645z system for two reasons, lack of lenses to suit my needs (no ultra-wide for astro, no manageable 70-200 type lens either), lack of interest from Pentax to grow the lineup and also I damaged my hand last year and needed to downsize my kit a little in weight. I found when I travelled I was needing to take both the 645 kit with 3 lenses and the 5D4 kit just to cover my bases for the shooting that I like to do. I want one system that can handle ultra-wide to tele and everything in between.

- Canon does have an adapter, but there is none available anywhere. I have a R5 in my hands for testing and need to make a decision to keep it but I can not even use it with my lenses, only a loaner 14mm samyang that I have been given, which is a terrible lens

- I know I can use my EF lenses adapted, but ultimately the move to RF glass is on the cards. I can build an entire pentax system with a K1, KP and all lenses for less than the price of the R5 and 70-200 lens

- I will not be moving to Fuji MF, do not like it one bit.

- Having used the K1 when it did not have the electronic first curtain shutter, which is important for perfectly sharp images, I do not know what the K1 with latest firmware or the K1mkII is like now, could be a different beast. I sure did love the controls and feel of the camera when I used it back in 2016. Is the AF any better on the mark II camera? I found it lacking with the 15-30 just in single centre point focus, it would not lock on to the same spot every time and I had a bunch of missed photos.
The cost of a R5 kit was also a big deciding factor for me.

Guessing at the cost of their RF 35mm 1.2 L, an R5 body with 35/50/85 1.2 L is going to be roughly $12k; again guessing at the cost of Pentax's D FA* 35mm 1.4, a K-1 with 35/50/85 will cost me less than $6k. That alone is a big deal for my purposes, 50% of the cost and I'd say about 90% of the performance. Of course, this is when it comes to still photography, if you are interested in video and/or fast moving subjects then there is no completion between to the two systems. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Canon R system and was thrilled with the quality of the RF 50mm 1.2 L and 70-200mm 2.8 L, but the difference in cost is far too great to justify the fractional difference in quality. And in some cases I would still take the Pentax system for its Pixel Shift implementation and the fact that I have an option for an optical finder (I almost always work on a tripod using the rear screen so a high-performance EVF is kind of redundant).

08-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a strong recollection of you not having been especially happy with Pentax and Ricoh. Therefore, I think you should stay with Canon.
08-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
the AF I felt was unreliable at best.
AF is a relative thing. I borrowed a Sony A9 pre pandemic. It was the definition of "soulless computer" but that that thing was amazing for catching birds in flight, didn't matter the other objects in the frame. Always got the bird in perfect focus. 20 fps... yeah! But forget trying to shoot something sitting still. Ugh! Could never seem to find the subject. Loved the weight of A9 but hated the ergonomics.
08-09-2020, 04:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Noel

Hows the snow in the Flinders.

Dave
Wife noted the weather forcast and we came home..... was for rain more so then snow. I'm spitting chips I wasn't up there for it! Will have to wait another few hundred years I guess.

Will go back up there in September outside of the school holidays.
08-09-2020, 04:35 AM   #26
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Wife noted the weather forcast and we came home..... was for rain more so then snow. I'm spitting chips I wasn't up there for it! Will have to wait another few hundred years I guess.

Will go back up there in September outside of the school holidays.
Maybe next year maybe.
08-10-2020, 03:04 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You didn't like the K-1 when you had one, I don't think you should go back. Probably sticking with Canon is better (I recall some type of focusing issue with the DFA 15-30 being the main issue, but perhaps there were others).

For me the K-1 is perfect, but I'm not everyone and things I deal with seem sources of frustration for others.
08-10-2020, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #28
Forum Member

I have the Pentax K1, the canon 5D iv and the Canon R.
For sport shooting i use the 5D for the rest of my work my K1 just feels better in my hand and its the camera i pick. For video work i prefer the eos R just because its lighter and smaller.
If you don't really need the extra mp (even if you do need more mp you can simply stitch together images from 5D) i cant see a reason upgrading. You already have lenses that over 99% of your work so why bother buying new?
08-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before spending tons of money, why not rent a Pentax K-1II and a few lenses to see if it suits you? Perhaps your K-1 or lens was not representative of standard performance. Did you find the MF Fuji computer like? Good luck.

Thanks,
barondla
08-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #30

Since you talked much about the mechanical connection and not fast AF application, K-1 or K-1ii would do well.

DFA24-70 or DFA28-105 would be great to begin with.