Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2020, 09:36 AM   #1

K-1 mark ii purchase

Hi...I am in the market for full frame camera and have a K-s1 and am leaning towards a K-1 mark ii. If anyone has recently purchased one over another manufacturer and model, I would be interested in hearing why you selected the K-1.

Regards.

Brian Charles

08-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

I finally bought an " experienced " K 1 II from a forum member when he privately made me an offer I could not refuse

[ it was so good that the wife took no convincing, possibly because of an upcoming wedding anniversary ]

awaiting delivery USPS has delayed its arrival, I have no idea where it currently is

whether the K 1 or K 1 II is right for you may depend on what you intend to do with it

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-26-2020 at 08:22 AM.
08-25-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My reasons:
1) Feel and ergonomics. I tried comparable cameras from Canon and Nikon and neither fit my hands nearly as well.
2) K-1 has a number of specialized features that I actually use: GPS, Astrotracer, night display mode, back panel led's.
3) K-1 is marketed as a "field camera", whatever that means. But to me it is solid, rugged, dependable and not adverse to a day standing in a stream shooting waterfalls.
4) It uses K-mount lenses and M42 with a simple adapter Quite important to me as I have an extensive collection of M42 and manual focus K-mount glass.
5) Pentax menus make sense to me. Perhaps that is just my personal bias but after looking through other makers menus (particularly Sony) I have come to appreciate the simple and very organized Pentax system.

Note that I didn't mention image quality or camera specs. In today's market I do not think there is any appreciable difference in real world shooting between any of the makers comparable cameras. The real deciding factor should be how easily you get along with the camera you buy. If it seems its fighting you or its a hassle to figure out what you want to do then your creativity is impacted. The gear should be as invisible as possible, your hands should be able to manipulate the buttons without having to look, you should be able to see your subject, not camera screens or menus.

Last edited by jatrax; 08-25-2020 at 10:48 AM.
08-25-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went with the K-1 simply because there are pretty reasonable prices on some lovingly handled and experienced ones and competing K1 II models are tough to find. Either one will render nearly the same, and some will claim the original K1 is better in certain scenarios. I would not hesitate on pulling the trigger on either one at $1200 or less depending on condition and relatively low shutter activations of course.

If you're patient it's not unheard of to find one under a $1000 either. Mine for example at well under that and a shutter count under 15K. They're out there, just gotta find'em and be comfortable with buying used. Some folks aren't and for good reasons. There's always that chance you take.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-25-2020 at 10:49 AM.
08-25-2020, 10:47 AM - 2 Likes   #5

Original Poster
Thanks..

I own the K-S1 and use the astrotracker, so that is one reason the K-1 is attractive. I guess, I also in general with a lot of things don't buy mainstream. I often find features and engineering in the underdog.
08-25-2020, 11:30 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum; nice to have you with us.

I have bought a few pieces of gear from the Marketplace here on the forum (including a KP from gatorguy). Every seller had a 100% positive feedback rating, and every transaction couldn't have been better. So, if you can find a used K-1/K-1 II from a forum member with that rating, I think you could buy with confidence. You can set up a keyword on the Marketplace page under the heading of 'Photographic Equipment for Sale Watch List' so that you will get an e-mail when that item gets listed.
The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com

Looking forward to seeing your fabulous K-1 shots in the future!
08-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
. . . You can set up a keyword on the Marketplace page under the heading of 'Photographic Equipment for Sale Watch List' so that you will get an e-mail when that item gets listed.
The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses - PentaxForums.com

Looking forward to seeing your fabulous K-1 shots in the future!
you can also place a notice in the " wanted " section of the marketplace

Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com

08-25-2020, 11:38 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So, my perspective is a little different, but has some aspects that might be informative.

Immediately before Pentax, I came from Sony: A850, A7R, NEX7. Very much liked Sony.

For reasons I won't recount here, in 2014 I took a big leap and got a 645Z. When the K1 came out, I decided to get it as a backup camera (most 645Z users love it, but all of us are a bit nervous about the repair situation). As I use my cameras professionally, I felt it a good idea to make sure I had a backup. So:
  • The Pentax system is fully compatible from 6x7 down through APSC via Pentax adapters--6x7 to 645, 645 to K mount. This is a little discussed "force multiplier" of tremendous value. And of course the flashes are fully compatible as well (and any 3rd party stuff, too).
  • The used lens market is rich and deep, and the bargains can be astounding.
  • The K1/K1mkII cameras are fantastic instruments for nearly all applications except fast moving sports/action* and video.
  • More than almost all other FF cameras, the K1/K1mkII through P/S tech allows for close to or matching medium format quality for certain sorts of shots.
  • Low light performance is truly excellent, as is DR
  • Pentax has leveraged sensor cleaning/IBIS in smart ways, so that you get P/S, astrotracing and also the largely un-discussed composition shift.
  • You won't find a better weatherproofed camera--and it's pretty bombproof as well.
  • It's one of the best values in FF cameras considering its features.
If you have an interest in video, on a regular basis, then there are better options. If stills are you priority and you are not shooting a a lot of fast action*, then it's about the best camera out there.

* But just as a reminder in an historical vein: lots of great, iconic action shots were done long before the advent of today's best AF performers.
08-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Texandrews! Much of those aspects are things that drew me to my K-S1. The action thing is a little bit of a concern, as I would like to do some sports shooting..but that is not a high priority. Landscapes, Astro are where I tend to drift with a wish to get more portrait experience..(My family does not like to pose and does not have the patience to let me play with settings while shooting them)
08-26-2020, 01:32 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See this thread about how good the K1 is on AF.
K-1 Tracking--- 10 images, 10 in focus - PentaxForums.com
While it is a da Lense, used in FF mode you can crop to give more than apsc image size.
There are a multitude of AF settings that require time and patience to work out the best setting for a given task.
It might not be the best for action but it ain't no slouch either
08-26-2020, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't have the Mark ii, but I do own a K-1. I was smitten from day 1.

Things I love: IQ, ergonomics (the camera feels like a glove despite its weight and the control layout is, IMO, flawless), the cross-tilt LCD is so useful that I don't want a fixed LCD anymore, the OVF is very good.
Things I don't love: it could be a smidgen lighter. More or less the only thing I could actually wish for, but even then it's not a deal breaker.

That's basically it: the AF is good enough (even AF-C!) for my uses, and I normally don't shoot bursts so I can live with the anemic data transfer rate. The other day (after checking Norm's thread that @Joetitch mentioned above) I tried some tracking shots (105mm @ f/5.6 with the DFA 28-105) or a car that was overtaking us on the highway, I got 15/16 shots focused either perfectly (most) or "good enough" (two or three) on the license plate.

The other thing are the lenses - you mention landscapes, portraits and astro. For landscape, there's no shortage and even the "kit" (lol at that name) 28-105 is so much better than it has any right to be to the point where I'd recommend to get it with the camera, it's a no brainer. For astro the same lens gets you started although there are obviously better options (I'm looking forward to the D FA 21 Limited next year!), and for portraits... well, you get the FA Limiteds, the D FA* 50 and 85, the FA* 85, the D FA* 70-200/2.8, and the list goes on. There's no shortage of good stuff

Honestly, I can recommend it a lot, if you are already interested in the Pentax environment.
08-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #12
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by BCharles Quote
Hi...I am in the market for full frame camera and have a K-s1 and am leaning towards a K-1 mark ii. If anyone has recently purchased one over another manufacturer and model, I would be interested in hearing why you selected the K-1.

Regards.

Brian Charles
Welcome to Pentax Forums Charles.

And now, your question.

Well there is the full frame sensor, and the Pentax K mount.

Having had K mount cameras since, forever, I have dozens of K mount and M42 lenses, collected over the last 40 years, all which work perfectly on the K-1 and produce great results. Why dump all that awesome glass, and go in search of suitable replacements in Canikon mounts and ten times the price?

And 36 megapickles is plenty for me, and my computer.

Get a K-1.

Once you go full frame, you can never go back.
08-26-2020, 10:57 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums Charles.

And now, your question.

Well there is the full frame sensor, and the Pentax K mount.

Having had K mount cameras since, forever, I have dozens of K mount and M42 lenses, collected over the last 40 years, all which work perfectly on the K-1 and produce great results. Why dump all that awesome glass, and go in search of suitable replacements in Canikon mounts and ten times the price?

And 36 megapickles is plenty for me, and my computer.

Get a K-1.

Once you go full frame, you can never go back.
Some of us swing both ways...

FF and APS-C
08-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have a Pentax K-1 II. It is a wonderful camera. The build, styling, menu setup, quality/detail of images, auto focus, and reliability are all excellent. If you have interest in using the full frame camera format, I would definitely recommend it.
08-26-2020, 06:01 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I have three Pentax lens’... SMC 50mm f1.7, SMC DA 50-200, SMC 100-300 f4.5-5.6 and a Sigma DC 18-28 f2.8.

My last dilemma is really whether to buy used or just by new and make sure I have the warranty as well as an unused body.

If anyone knows how to get a coupon code for the Pentax website, that would be great.