Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2020, 11:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ugh the temptation

So I was patiently waiting with my trusty K5IIs for the K-new APS-c and along comes the K1-II Silver edition. Talk me off the ledge... I do have a nice balance of Fa and Da lenses.

JJ

08-27-2020, 12:08 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Once you pick it up you will be under it's spell. The K1/K1-II just feels at home in your hands. I was in the middle of a road trip to Yellowstone in 2016 when I stopped at a camera store that I knew had one. Once I started handling it I pulled out my credit card and it was mine. Along with a D FA 28 - 105 lens. Never regretted that decision. Plus I got it in Montana where there is no sales tax so I saved about $200.

Pre ordered a K1-II from B&H when they were announced. That came with a free battery grip and a free battery. Who can say no to a free battery? Never regretted that decision either. Now when I am in Yellowstone the D FA28-105 is usually on one camera and the D FA 150 - 450 is usually on the other. My poor K3 sits mostly on the shelf. Not sure about the K whatever, but once I went full frame I have no intention of going back to APSc. The new release will have to be something really special for me to get it.

Last edited by gaweidert; 09-16-2020 at 08:30 PM.
08-27-2020, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K1 is much heavier and deeper than the Pentax apsc cameras. Make sure you get a feel for what this means if you think size might matter to you.
08-27-2020, 12:19 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The good thing about that ledge is that if you jump you'll find you can fly

08-27-2020, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Once you pick it up you will be under it's spell.
Yep. This pretty much sums it up. I own the K5IIs, the K3 and the K1. To me the K1 (and I'm sure the K1-II) have the soul of the K5IIs. When the K1 hit my hands, it felt like the return on an old friend, something the K3 never quite had, though it's a great camera too.
08-27-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Different beasts. If you were indeed lusting for FF and the silver edition does it for you, then that's certainly a worthy upgrade. However,
if you were holding out for an APS-C upgrade then why consider the K1-II? Or do you just have a thing for silver limited editions?
08-27-2020, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go for it! Life's too short.

08-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The K1 is much heavier and deeper than the Pentax apsc cameras. Make sure you get a feel for what this means if you think size might matter to you.

I have an " experienced " K 1 II coming from a member

[ if the PO delivers it that is ]

I have never held one but a new member, madison_wi_gal, recently posted this link:

Camera Size Comparison

here is the comparison between the K 1 II and K 5 II S

Compare camera dimensions side by side

the K 1 II and K 3 II

https://camerasize.com/compare/#773,619

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-27-2020 at 01:24 PM.
08-27-2020, 02:15 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
Yep. This pretty much sums it up. I own the K5IIs, the K3 and the K1. To me the K1 (and I'm sure the K1-II) have the soul of the K5IIs. When the K1 hit my hands, it felt like the return on an old friend, something the K3 never quite had, though it's a great camera too.
it is so recognizable, got the same thing. The first look trough my K1-11 viewfinder, i almost shed a tear, it really threw me back to my old and extremely loyal MX experiance. I finally felt at home again again.

And yes, i know, i am extremely spoiled, using an MX as my first SLR after years of using a Beirette (which i still own) in my kids years
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SLT-A77V  Photo 

Last edited by Sakura; 08-27-2020 at 02:25 PM.
08-27-2020, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You know you want it! I have a K-1II and am still temped by the silver edition. What's wrong with me?
08-27-2020, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Talk me off the ledge...
Which side do you want to fall on?
K-1ii Silver: Only a FF can liberate your FA lenses to do what they were really designed to do. And it is FF; the K-New won't be.
K-New: 2-years newer--the Silver is really 2018 inside. Being silver doesn't make it any better than the camera you haven't bought so far.

Stay on the fence: Wait at least until the full specs of the K-New are released. Then you're not just guessing whether it's worth waiting for. Based on your relationship with the K-5, this is going to be a long term decision as well. So a couple months more is well worth it to be sure you're getting it right.

traveler
08-27-2020, 02:56 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've found the best way to deal with temptation is to give in to it.
08-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The good thing about that ledge is that if you jump you'll find you can fly
But only if you miss the ground.
08-27-2020, 03:51 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Forget about the camera colors. Pick the camera that best fits your type of photography and budget. You told us what camera you have but not what types of photography you want to do. What about the K5iis do you wish were better?

Since you were already waiting for the K-new, you probably have reason to hope that's a better camera than the K-1 family. You shouldn't suddenly get a K-1 just because it's in a new color.

If you photograph birds-in-flight or other fast action, definitely wait for the K-new. It's likely to have a faster burst speed and deeper buffer than the K-1ii.

If you photograph landscapes or in extremely low light, the K-new will probably make lesser improvements there. Getting a K-1ii could be be a reasonable decision for that type of photography regardless of the camera's color.
08-27-2020, 03:58 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Once you pick it up you will be under it's spell. The K1/K1-II just feels at home in your hands. I was in the middle of a road trip to Yellowstone in 2016 when I stopped at a camera store that I knew had one. Once I started handling it I pulled out my credit card and it was mine. Along with a D FA 28 - 105 lens. Never regretted that decision. Plus I got it in Montana where there is no sales tax so I saved about $200.

Pre ordered a K1-II from B&H when they were announced. That came with a free battery grip and a free battery. Who can say no to a free battery? Never regretted that decision either. No when I am in Yellowstone the D FA28-105 is usually on one camera and the D FA 150 - 450 is usually on the other. My poor K3 sits mostly on the shelf. Not sure about the K whatever, but once I went full frame I have no intention of going back to APSc. The new release will have to be something really special for me to get it.
I'd be happy if I could use this body forever and they'd just update the guts!