Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wireless remote shutter doesn't work in Bulb Mode?

Hello fellow pentaxians,

I just acquired the Ayex AX-5 wireless timer remote for my K1 Mark II.
The idea was to use that in BULB with Astrotracer mode to shoot some stars.

To my surprise the shutter does not react when I program a sequence (intervalometer) OR when I just press the release button on the remote controller.
In other modes, the shutter does react. For instance in Av mode or M mode.. not in B mode though

Am I missing a setting maybe, or is this by design ? (in which case I just wasted 30 euros for the remote)

Anyone with a solution for my problem ?

Thanks,
Paul

08-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a setting to make it so that you press once to open the shutter and press again to close it, and that definitely works with the remote control F. Perhaps changing this will also get your new remote to work!

Note that the K-1 also supports timed shutter speeds up to 20 minutes, so using this feature with the remote control F could be a viable alternative if the other one doesn't work.
08-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is a setting to make it so that you press once to open the shutter and press again to close it, and that definitely works with the remote control F. Perhaps changing this will also get your new remote to work!

Note that the K-1 also supports timed shutter speeds up to 20 minutes, so using this feature with the remote control F could be a viable alternative if the other one doesn't work.
Thank for the reply

However, I did try both BULB settings in menu C3. That does not have any effect
The internal intervalometer of the K1 does not work in B mode either. The astrotracer does only work in B mode(+ green button)
So I am in trouble every way

Greetz
paul
08-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I use a wired remote for my longer exposures (Bulb mode). I had to file down the base of the male part of the attachment cable to allow for a better connection than I originally got, but it works. The filing it down causes the cable to sit further into the camera port. I set my camera for two second delay, and use my watch to time my shots. Below is a shortcut to the wired remote that I use with my Pentax K-3 II in case you are interested. It does not require batteries, because it derives its power from the camera it is plugged into.

Vello RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras RS-C1II B&H

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-28-2020 at 03:01 PM.
08-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MeesterP Quote
However, I did try both BULB settings in menu C3. That does not have any effect
Are you saying that the shutter does not release with your remote in "B"? This question comes up every so often and the answer suggested by Adam is usually appropriate.
menu --> C1 --> 6 Bulb (B) Mode Options = Type 2
When set to type two, remote with IR optical should operate as follows:
  1. Press/release button on remote to open shutter
  2. Press/release button on remote to close shutter
Most IR optical intervalometers or timed remotes will use this sequence for interval or timed operation. If this does not work, perhaps contacting the maker of the remote might work.

LATE CORRECTION: See comment regarding your radio remote below.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2020 at 07:06 PM.
08-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I just acquired the Ayex AX-5 wireless timer remote for my K1 Mark II.
Woa! I just looked up your unit and it is radio wireless with a dongle as receiver that plugs into your camera's fitting for wired remote. For that style, B mode should probably be set to Type 1 unless the instructions for the remote suggest otherwise. The key is that the action through the wired remote port is the same as a shutter press.* I was not able to find the AX-5 manual online, so am not able to provide other instruction except to suggest you confirm that you have the dongle plugged into the fitting for wired remote and not those for microphone or headphone and that the shutter is not locked due to lens not in focus or some other factor. Also confirm that the plug jack is fully inserted into the fitting.

Steve

(...uses (B)ulb mode frequently with both wired and IR wireless remotes...)

*Ideally, the remote should support both full and half-press, most do.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-28-2020 at 10:32 PM.
08-29-2020, 01:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For that style, B mode should probably be set to Type 1
It does not function in either setting (1, or 2)

I was not able to find the AX-5 manual online
Here are the scans from the manual, but I must warn you... The english translation from German is HORRIBLE !

Ayex AX-5 part 1
Ayex AX-5 part 2
Ayex AX-5 part 3

confirm that you have the dongle plugged into the fitting for wired remote
The remote functions correctly in other modes, so, I don't think it's because it's plugged in incorrectly

the shutter is not locked due to lens not in focus
The shutter works normally when the only change I do is turn the knob from "B" to "M"

*Ideally, the remote should support both full and half-press, most do
Yes the AX-5 does support that

Also, maybe it's handy to note this, the firmwarversion on my K1MkII is 1.05 (which is the latest)

---------- Post added 08-29-2020 at 10:55 AM ----------

UPDATE:
I tried the Pentax K1 (Mark 1) which was gathering dust in the attic since my upgrade to the Mark 2. Guess what, with that body, the wireless remote shutter (AX-5) does work in "B" mode.

So I guess, something in the firmware is changed, since the hardware should be the same. The firmware on the K1 Mk 1 is 1.41
Downside, this camera does not remember date/time and has to be set everytime the camera is switched on.

08-29-2020, 06:11 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The shutter works normally when the only change I do is turn the knob from "B" to "M"
Does that mean the test below will fail?

1. Set drive mode to single exposure, AF/MF to MF, and exposure mode to M (1s shutter speed). Does the regular shutter work for half and full press? Does the remote work too?

2. Repeat in B mode (no timer set) on your K-1ii. For Bulb type 1, the shutter should remain open as long as the button is held at full press. For Bulb type 2, the shutter should open on full press and remain open until a second full press.

If the AX-5 remote does not work as expected in radio mode, try it with the controller directly wired to the camera using the included adapter cord. Make sure the AX-5 is set for single shot for step #1 and for bulb mode for step #2.

------------------------------------

To the best of my knowledge, the wired remote fitting is hard-wired in parallel with the regular shutter button. Placing the plug in the fitting allows the remote to function as a simple switch. The most common problems on the camera side are poor plug fit (not fully seated), something subtle with AF configuration, hardware issues with the remote, or attempting to use a remote that does not use the Pentax plug mapping. There is also the possibility that the shutter is not responsive due to having Slow Shutter Speed NR turned on with the previous exposure being a long one. In that case, the shutter will remain unresponsive until the camera finishes the NR step.

I think you have got me stumped. Perhaps better minds will prevail and be able to give you a solution.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-29-2020 at 06:26 AM. Reason: AX-5 specific hints
08-29-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Downside, this camera does not remember date/time and has to be set everytime the camera is switched on.
I use a Vello wired remote and it works on my K1 and K1-II. Never tried a wired remote. I set mine to first push for start and second push for stop.

The reason that the camera does not remember the date and time is that there is no internal battery in the camera. It relies on energy stored in a capacitor. This drains over time. This will happen if you do not leave a battery in the camera. It does take a few months or more before the capacitor is drained. It may be a good idea to use your K1 once a month or so if you want to keep date and time settings current. Or to just put a battery in it once in awhile to recharge the capacitor.
08-29-2020, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
weirdly enough it seems to be working now. I have no clue what has changed, but it's clicking away like mad right now.
It works with single exposure, and with interval exposure. (the latter one seems to be unstoppable although I programmed a repeat of 1, it keeps going. But that's an issue with the remote, not the Pentax)

By the way, I had to set Bulb mode option to: Type 2 (menu C-1 item 6)

Thanks for thinking with me