Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to update Lightroom to support K-1 II

I have just ordered a K-1 II and hope to receive it in a week or so.

It occurred to me that I probably need to update my Lightroom to support it but I just can't figure out how to do it. Last time I did it was when I got the K-3 and that was quite easy, I think just went to HELP->check for updates and I don't remember having any issues.

Recently I also noticed the map function stopped working and that told me I need to update. The problem is that if I check for updates it tells me that everything is up to date but still the map function is telling me I need to update.

I've spent the past couple of hours wading through the Adobe website trying to find a way to do the update but I cannot figure it out. It says that the version I have (4.4) is not supported anymore and yet seems to offer no way to update it to a later supported version, or maybe it is and I'm just too dumb to understand.

I seemed to understand I have to install something called Creative Cloud Desktop that is now needed to manage updates. I did install it but when I look for Lightroom in it I find a tile for Lightroom and one for Lightroom Classic. I'm not sure which mine is but in any case both of these will only allow me to 'try' or 'buy' - there seems to be no option to upgrade. It also tells me all my Adobe software is up to date.

I don't need any new features, though they would always be welcome. All I need it to get it to support the K-1 ii and to get the map function working again.

Can some one put me on the right track as I am well and truly lost ?

09-07-2020, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
maw
Pentaxian

Hi lister6520

You need to update Adobe Lightroom classic, if you have a previous version (4.4 ?), it could also read the PEF or Dng files of Pentax but you would still need

to update or install a newer version, in fact there have been a lot of improvements, this is what someone who uses mainly Photoshop tells you.

Ciao Mario
09-07-2020, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buy Adobe Photoshop Lightroom | Photo editing and organizing software

or

Stand alone versions ended at 6.14, although not available new for purchase through Adobe.
09-07-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
It says that the version I have (4.4) is not supported anymore and yet seems to offer no way to update it to a later supported version
The stand alone versions have been discontinued. Your only option now for Lightroom is to purchase the subscription version for $10/month or locate a copy of version 6. I do not remember if version 6 supported the K-1II or not though. However, that is the last stand alone version. It is no longer available for purchase new as far as I know.

The current version is 9.4 and is now called "Lightroom Classic". "Lightroom" is now a cloud based system that is attractive if you use mobile devices a lot but not a good choice if you are only using a computer.

09-07-2020, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The Pentax-supplied Digital Camera Utility may be a bit cryptic, but it's quite a capable piece of software once you get to grips with it. You can import your PEF, DNG (or JPG) files and do most of the 'basic' tweaking and adjustment, then export the adjusted image as a 16-bit TIFF for fine-tuning or whatever in a third-party application.
A nice thing about using the DCU program is that if you consistently find yourself needing to make similar adjustments on a lot of your files, the terminology used in the software relates exactly to the terminology used in the camera, so you can transfer these settings to the camera to save processing time in the future
09-07-2020, 04:05 PM - 3 Likes   #6
maw
Pentaxian

The best option remains the one as also suggested, i.e. the purchase/subscription of Photoshop/Lightroom photography plan.

That is for $9.99 you have:

Photoshop desktop
+ Lightroom Classic
+ Photoshop on iPad
+ Adobe Spark to create social graphics, videos, and web pages
+ Adobe Portfolio to build your own website
+ Cloud photo storage 20GB: Approx. 4,000 JPEGs

Otherwise you can opt for alternative programs like Capture One, On1, Affinity, Luminar, Corel paint etc....

Or freeware programs,

* Rawtherapee (which also supports PIXELSHIFT and allows you to separate and save the various subframes in various formats.
* Darktable
* Inkscape
* Krita
* Pixelmator
* Gimp
* Pixlr
* Fotor
* PicMonkey
* Canva Photo Editor

N.B. The module that opens the Pef / Dng files is always Camera Raw, which is now integrated in Photoshop and Lightroom

Ciao Mario
09-07-2020, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you do a lot of post processing of images I endorse the recommendation for the Adobe Photography plan.

09-07-2020, 05:00 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
If you do a lot of post processing of images I endorse the recommendation for the Adobe Photography plan.
Same here. It's a good solution, even though they keep taking my money!
09-07-2020, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #9
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
even though they keep taking my money!
I totally appreciate your detachment from the cowardly money.

Mario

---------- Post added 08-09-20 at 02:20 ----------

If you do a lot of post processing of images
At this moment, I was thinking about which option he will choose, the bets are open

M.
09-07-2020, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Another option is to have a go at using the Adobe DNG Converter:

Adobe provides backwards compatibility for the latest cameras for use in older versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, After Effects, and Photoshop Elements through the DNG Converter.

Adobe Digital Negative Converter
09-07-2020, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only stand alone, non subscription Adobe editor now is Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020. It contains Camera Raw and most of the commonly used features of Lightroom and Photoshop. Works well for basic editing. Not very expensive.
09-07-2020, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will second that endorsement, I have this plan but use mostly "Lightroom Classic", which is NOT cloud based, and "Photoshop". What they actually refer to as "Lightroom" is cloud based, but it includes mobile versions, so I have it on and ipad and iphone also, which comes in handy sometimes. It also include "Bridge", "Camera Raw", and a couple of other programs including "Premier Rush", which I assume is a light version of Premier. If you are an Adobe Stock contributor you may be able to get the program for free, but I'm really not sure if they are still offering that, I believe that will come as an email if they offer it.

"Lightroom Classic" is actually an updated version of the standalone program, but only sold as part of the whole package. It's somewhat confusing when you switch to the new version since they re-named the standalone to "LR Classic", named the new program with the old LR name, and then added mobile versions. I feel like the cloud based "Lightroom" is a dumbed down version, but maybe I'm just too dumb to get it.
09-07-2020, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

I still use Lightroom 3.6 from 2011 and can work with Pentax DNG raw files from the KP, released in 2017. I recommend you set the K-1ii raw format to DNG and use that with your version of Lightroom. I'm positive it will work without you needing to change to Adobe's subscription service.
09-08-2020, 12:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great responses, even if it's not good news :-(

In my situation it seems the only option is to subscribe to the Lightroom Photography plan.

I have considered other options suggested here but I don't think any of them will work for me.

Although I have little doubt my current version will read the K1 raw files and be able to do something with them it will be missing all the proper colour profiles, lens corrections and all that stuff.

The DNG converter would work as a short term workaround but I wouldn't want to have to go through that extra process of converting the photos before putting thm into the old lightroom.

I could of course switch to another application entirely or even use the Pentax software but apart from having to start a whole new learning process there is the matter that I use Lightrooom also to catalog my photos, 20 years' worth of them and I don't think there is any way that information could be exported to a new application.

I do from time to time use other applications to process raw files (for example for astrophotography )

I think there would also be an issue with exporting the development settings for the photos. I shoot exclusively raw and process in lightroom and only export to jpeg as and when needed. If I switch to a new application I guess I would have to reprocess all the photos all over again, a prospect I do not want to even think about.

I'm going to subscribe to the Lightroom Photography Plan and hope for the best. I passionately hate having to be tied to clouds and stuff like that but it seems there's no escape as evrything seems to be ending up in clouds and blockchains and stuff.

Anyway I'll see how it goes and report back here.

Thanks again for all the helpful guidance.
09-08-2020, 02:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, so it worked! It took almost an hour to convert the catalog but as far as I can tell it did a good job of it and everything seems to be working. Even the map is now working again even on my oldest photos. It was a smooth and easy process thanks to the help I got from you here - I'd probably be going round in circles for days if it were not for that.

Thankfully I see the user interface remained almost the same. I was worried they'd have changed things so much I'd have to relearn a lot of it but thankfully that didn't happen.

I am of course now stuck with having to pay Adobe 140 Euro every year which is not such a good deal considering that the 135 Euro I had paid for Lightroom 4 lasted me 8 years. I guess they decided they needed more revenue and couldn't get away with charging a much higher price for the standalone Lightroom.

I've downloaded some K1-ii dng sample files to play with and see how it handles them since I haven't yet received the K1. It seems to work quite well despite my computer being rather old.