Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

K1 On/Off Switch Broke? Turns Without Catching

Well, it happened - my K1 doesn't power on. Someone mis-handled the camera bag, and the camera switch must have caught on a lens in the bag and it twisted past where it should go. I picked it up to turn it on and noticed it stuck just past the DOF preview area that it shouldn't go past. I turned it back to the "Off" position without much effort, but now it turns a bit too easily to "On" and it isn't grabbing inside, so it doesn't actually turn on or do anything.

I haven't been super active here in the past couple years, so I'm out of touch with the current state of repair services. Had the extended warranty and everything, but that was already over 4 years ago (crazy!), so nothing to be done there.

Has anyone attempted to do surgery or anything? It's not something I really want to do, but it'd be a shame to empty my 85mm fund on a little (but needed) repair.

Would appreciate any thoughts/similar experiences, and thoughts on repair options! Don't have anything nearby, so it would be a matter of sending it off. Many thanks!

09-12-2020, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #2

The extended warranty wouldn't cover damage anyway. A warranty provided by a credit card company or insurance might. Since it is out of warranty you could send it to a repair center such as Advance Camera in Oregon rather than Precision.

Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com

DIY repair may be as simple as re-seating the switch in the proper orientation on the switch shaft. If you need parts probably will have to send it in for repairs. USCamera.com might be able to get you parts and sell them to you. DIY depends on if you have the proper tools, patience, skill and experience. Note: once you open the body or remove dieals the weather seals are compromised.
09-12-2020, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say send it off... pure guess but maybe a $75-$125 repair. I know a shop close to me, but there are probably a lot of places you could send if you call ahead and talk to them. I'd recommend against USPS right now. UPS or FedEx plus added insurance above $100 coverage. Or take a vacation where there's a camera shop
09-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scottDee Quote
Or take a vacation where there's a camera shop
My wife and I really like the sound of this one. Time to make a recommendations thread! We actually had to cancel a vacation to the coast recently, due to the forest fires.

Thank you for your suggestions! I'm generally alright opening up electronics, but the K1 would be more complex than I'm used to.

09-12-2020, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had my 150-450 zoom repaired by Phototronic here in Topeka KS

https://phototronic.biz/
09-13-2020, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I had my 150-450 zoom repaired by Phototronic here in Topeka KS

https://phototronic.biz/

Lol! That was the same camera shop I was referring to. I'm in KC, but grew up in Topeka. He fixed a vintage Zeiss lens for me and did good work.
09-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
Well, it happened - my K1 doesn't power on. Someone mis-handled the camera bag, and the camera switch must have caught on a lens in the bag and it twisted past where it should go. I picked it up to turn it on and noticed it stuck just past the DOF preview area that it shouldn't go past. I turned it back to the "Off" position without much effort, but now it turns a bit too easily to "On" and it isn't grabbing inside, so it doesn't actually turn on or do anything.

I haven't been super active here in the past couple years, so I'm out of touch with the current state of repair services. Had the extended warranty and everything, but that was already over 4 years ago (crazy!), so nothing to be done there.

Has anyone attempted to do surgery or anything? It's not something I really want to do, but it'd be a shame to empty my 85mm fund on a little (but needed) repair.

Would appreciate any thoughts/similar experiences, and thoughts on repair options! Don't have anything nearby, so it would be a matter of sending it off. Many thanks!
Insurance claim time! Saved me a heap when I damaged my K-1.